It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

Caen v Metz (v Aix un Provence)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Randall Mullin

Re: Caen v Metz (v Aix un Provence)

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

Since no one has mentioned the Aix yet, I will put in my two cents worth. The Aix is wonderful to listen to and is a great practice sample set as well. You feel like you are at the console with headphones on. It can fit into 8 gigs easily at 16-bit and the quality of the sound does not change dramatically between 24 and 16.

The down side is that is does not have a full swell or a 32' Contrebombarde, but it is still a joy to play. (And it has an enclosed Positif!)

Randall Mullin
Last edited by Randall Mullin on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

jleyman

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 11:55 am

Randall Mullin wrote:Since no one as mentioned the Aix yet, I will put in my two cents worth. The Aix is a wonderful to listen to and is a great practice sample set as well. You feel like you are at the console with headphones on. It can fit into 8 gigs easily at 16-bit and the quality of the sound does not change dramatically between 24 and 16.

About time someone said this. The Aix set has a unique, subtle and very musical sound, yet not lacking power. Regarding the memory requirements 8 GB is more than enough to load everything 24 bit (I just loaded it 24 bit to check and Commit Charge reports under 3500000), but as you say there is little difference between 16 and 24.
Johannes Leyman
Leyman Music
www.hauptwerk.se

imcg110

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I have no problems with the Caen surround - sounds great!

jvaz2

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I agree with Randall.

Javier Vázquez

telemanr

PostMon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Aristide wrote:All options was ok when I tried it! (Metz worked well on that system.. only Caen had the harp-effect problem)
I am really very afraid to spend more than 500 euros for a sample set with multirelease not working.
It is a pity because the instrument is really nice.

Perhaps the "sorround" version works better? I tried only the "wet" version

I just tried the Wet version using the Flute 8,4,2 you previously suggested. If I hold the note then listen to the release I hear a completely different fade than I do if I use a staccato touch. So I'm certainly hearing a different release at least those two situations. You can also do a full registration and clearly hear a different release depending on a held chord or a staccato one.
The sound is quite bright in general so I suppose you might construe this as ringing. But it is nothing like, for instance, the ringing you get playing rapidly on the Skinner Wet which does NOT have multi-releases.
Rob Enns

PeterB

PostTue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 am

I have recorded a number of the official demos for the Caen, but I have also recorded quite a few of the same pieces on the Metz. For a comparison of these two organs, simply go to Contrebombarde and search for "PeterB".

PeterB

PostWed Jun 17, 2009 6:16 am

A couple of days ago, Randall Mullin uploaded an excellent recording of the Adagio from Louis Vierne's third symphony, played live on the Aix-en-Provençe Cavaillé-Coll organ. To facilitate easy comparison of some of the aspects of the three main Cavaillé-Coll organs available for Hauptwerk, and to complement Randall Mullin's excellent recording on the Aix organ, I have uploaded two different live recordings of Louis Vierne's Adagio from his third Symphony, one on the Caen, and one on the Metz.

The three recordings can be found here:

patrice

PostThu Jun 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Hello Aristide,
The Caen CC is the best thing happened in HW world(for me)
This is the most precise accurate and wet organ
Its very difficult to take it in fault
Perhaps you play too quickly or you are the" real "aristide.
regards

Antoni Scott

PostSun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 pm

I have the Metz and the Caen. It is not possible to say which is better, both are gorgeous. I have no preference for one over the other. The Metz has a fuller sound, but further away. The Caen sounds closer ( sometimes that's better when playing small stops) but doesn't sound as full playing the full organ, especially the 32' Bombarde. The Caen is a slightly bigger organ ( I think five stops) but you really can't tell. The Caen has the advantage in that it has surround sound where you can balance the near and the far, although I can't use it because my computer with 16 gigbytes seems not to be big enough. It's a difficult choice. Get both. I have heard good things about the Aix un Provence, too, but no 32' Bombarde.

Antoni Scott

Discipulus.veritatis

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 11:26 am

The Caen sample set was built by Cavaille-Coll, while the Metz by his successor, which causes a slight change. The Caen sample set was recorded in a larger church, thus the acoustics sound quite different as well, and maybe more realistic. I like Caen better as it has darker reeds but the soft stops, such as the flute harmonique, come out very clear. The surround version offers a nice perspective with clear sound while also getting the beautiful acoustics of the Abbey. I'm able to load it on 8 GB of RAM in the basic edition of Hauptwerk, thus I would suggest Caen rather than Metz if your computer can handle it.

dhm

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 5:29 am

Discipulus.veritatis wrote: I'm able to load it on 8 GB of RAM in the basic edition of Hauptwerk.

This should not be possible, because the Basic Edition doesn't allow you to use more than *3*GB of RAM (no matter how much you actually have on your PC).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

johnstump_organist

Re:

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 6:43 am

Anton Heger wrote:Hello all,

I wonder...
While Caen has front and rear samples; is it true that loading only the front samples, you have the direct sound you want for practising and loading only the rear samples, you have a sound like Metz???

Anton

I use the Caen with only the "front" Direct samples loaded and find it very satisfying, although I haven't used now for some time. I use the Rotterdam main organ the same way, no rear samples loaded and find more than wet enough for a pleasant sound and yet direct enough for good practicing.
John

Discipulus.veritatis

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 2:23 pm

dhm wrote:
Discipulus.veritatis wrote: I'm able to load it on 8 GB of RAM in the basic edition of Hauptwerk.

This should not be possible, because the Basic Edition doesn't allow you to use more than *3*GB of RAM (no matter how much you actually have on your PC).

I only load the rear samples in 16 bit and some in 14 thus it fits on the 3 GB of the basic edition. My point is you can load it under 8 GB and it will still sound great in my opinion :D
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments