It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

Hauptwerk Free Edition on Ubuntu Linux

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Johannes Sørensen

Hauptwerk Free Edition on Ubuntu Linux

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 am

There are many good reasons that Martin and Brett have not made a Linux version of Hauptwerk. Not least the question of support, and it can some times be difficult to find a proper Linux driver for the audio interface one want to use, just to mention two.

In spite of that I have thought of, if it was possible to install and run the Windows version (long ago I gave up the Mac version for that purpose) of Hauptwerk on a Linux computer, but have not made a serious attempt to try it until the announcement of the Hauptwerk Free Edition.

Recently I succeeded to install Hauptwerk on a 32 bit Ubuntu Linux computer but only to run it in evaluation mode. As far as I know from googling the problem, it isn't possible yet to obtain contact from a dongle protected Windows software to the USB key on a Linux computer although a Linux Hasp driver is installed on the computer.

To install software written for Windows on a Linux computer Wine is used as a compatibility layer. The name Wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulater, and Wine is rather effective. Not all Windows software can run this way.

Now the Hauptwerk Free Edition 3.23 is installed on a 64 bit Ubuntu Linux computer.

It is simple to install Hauptwerk on Ubuntu Linux when one have found out how.
On the Ubuntu Linux computer you install Wine if it is not already.
You right-click on the InstallHauptwerk.exe file and choose open with Wine, and the installation will begin, and you just follow the instructions on the screen as usual until the stage of installing the dongle driver, and the installation process will hang. When the installation hangs wait a minute to be sure the installation can't go further and then restart the computer, and the installation is finished. When you start Hauptwerk choose Free Edition.
Although Hauptwerk can be installed on both a 32 and 64 bit version of Ubuntu Linux, only the 32 bit version of Hauptwerk can be installed on it at the moment. Due to the limitations of the Free Edition 32 or 64 bit don't matter.

You can start Hauptwerk from Programs/Wine/Programs/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/Hauptwerk (stand-alone) or Hauptwerk (for Midi sequencing).
If you see no desk icons, you can make them by drawing the Hauptwerk icons form the above mentioned location to an empty space on the screen, double-click on them and in the up-pupping dialogue box choose Mark as trusted. Now a double-click on one of the two icons will start Hauptwerk.
(The desk icons are not visible on the above screen shut.)

The documentation can't be opened from Help, and the PDF documentation files have to be downloaded from hauptwerk.com.
File/Shut computer down and File/Re-start computer don't work.
Otherwise everything seems to function as it shall. Spending many hours installing several sample sets (both 44.1 and 48KHz sample rate) and investigating the different functions of Hauptwerk and of the sample sets I have not found anything that don't works, and there haven't been any instability problems so far.
Also the basic build-in voicing facility in sample sets from Sonus Paradisi works.

The release of the Houptwerk Free Edition is good news for the Linux users who now use other virtual organ software for Linux or consider to do it. As far as I have seen and heard, Hauptwerk Free Edition – in spite of its limitations in comparison with the other two editions – is superior to other virtual pipe organ software for Linux in respect to sound quality, realism and to easy of use.
The next task is to make the Free Edition of Hauptwerk known in the Linux community as an option.
Users of Linux are used to no official support and to support each other.
Maybe some will upgrade to the Basic or Advanced edition later, although they at the moment then will have to migrate to a Windows or a Mac computer – who knows.
Those who will stay with free software, from a Hauptwerk point of view it is better they use free Hauptwerk than anything else.

Best regards
Johannes
Last edited by Johannes Sørensen on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

ReinerS

Re: Hauptwerk Free Edition on Ubuntu Linux

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 am

Hello Johannes,

this is very interesting news indeed! This could provide yet another boost to the Hauptwerk user base.

One question though that immediately comes to mind when running Windows software in an emulated environment: What about performance? I suppose that for the free edition with its 256 polyphony limit performance will be ok, have you done any testing on this? Any feeling about latency when playing from an external MIDI keyboard?

Looking forward to hear more about this.
Reiner

mdyde

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 am

Hello Johannes,

Thanks for the information. That's interesting to know.

Do you have polyphony and latency figures for Hauptwerk running under Windows and for Hauptwerk running (emulated, via Wine) under Linux on the same PC? Is the audio robust (glitch-free)? Does the MIDI timing appear to be accurate (constant latency)? It would be interesting to know how much the emulated layer (Wine) affects performance. (You could launch Hauptwerk in the Advanced Edition evaluation mode to test with polyphonies above 256.)

What audio driver do you select in Hauptwerk, and what audio buffer size? Does Wine provide emulated ASIO or DirectSound drivers? (I've never tried the Wine emulator myself.)

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

gingercat

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am

Just a pity that Linux on the PS3 limits memory to (I think) 256MB or I could try and run Hauptwerk on the PS3 (I have Ubuntu installed as the OtherOS).
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

gingercat

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:57 am

Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

bcollins

PostFri Jul 10, 2009 11:36 am

It will be interesting to see if you can make Hauptwerk run on the newly announced Google Chrome OS, when it is released.

"According to Google, the Chrome OS runs "within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel," and will eventually run on everything from netbooks to full desktop PCs. "
Bob Collins

Johannes Sørensen

PostSat Jul 11, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks for your comments!

Some of this post will be a little OT, more computing than Hauptwerk related. Hope it is OK.

Bob.
Also I find the Chrome OS project interesting.
The thing I hope most is, that the necessary hardware drivers are the same as for other Linux distributions. Particular hardware drivers can be a problem, and maybe a bigger demand can result in, that more hardware manufacturers will make Linux drivers. We will have to wait and see.

Chris.
I will take a closer look upon Wineasio and try it.
In your profile I see you are a professional. I am only a computing hobbyist, and information and tips are always welcome, so thanks for the link.

Reiner, Martin.
For the first experiments the possibility I had was to use the onboard sound card as audio interface, and Hauptwerk labels the driver as DirectSound.
I have not made performance tests yet but of course planed to do so. Especially comparative tests, as Martin mentions, will be interesting.
Unfortunately I have run into hardware/driver problems with the MIDI interface in the computer.
Pride goes before a fall.
To go further I have to solve these problems. I think it will be necessary to buy a new MIDI interface with a proper Linux driver. An audio interface of higher quality will also be to prefer. It will make the tests much more valuable.

If any of you know of a MIDI interface with a proper Linux driver and also a high quality audio interface likewise with a Linux driver, you are very welcome to bring suggestions. Within reasonable limits the quality is more important than the price.
Of course I will also try to find relevant informations on Linux forums.

Also to me running Hauptwerk on a Linux machine is quite new, and probably I will have more work to do in front of me than behind me, but I couldn't resist the temptation to bring the news now when it was hot. To me it is an interesting project to work with, but problems on the way are inevitable, and such kind of work takes time, and one have to be patient.

Best regards
Johannes

ten87

PostSat Jul 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Johannes Sørensen wrote:If any of you know of a MIDI interface with a proper Linux driver and also a high quality audio interface likewise with a Linux driver, you are very welcome to bring suggestions. Within reasonable limits the quality is more important than the price.

I know the Edirol UM-1EX works in Ubuntu, because Artisan Instruments uses it on their Linux Ubuntu based Sound Engine. Those Edirol interfaces seem to work well with everything. I'm using it on Vista 64 with absolutely no problems. They work flawlessly with the Artisan Sound Engine as well. The great part is they're only about $30.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=732&ParentId=114

Terry

David Pinnegar

PostTue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi!

My wizard nephew came to dinner last night and said that he had been running Ubuntu now for a year and how his hair had stopped going grey as a result. He commented that he runs Windows as a virtual machine and how very much better it runs in this way. Perhaps this might be the answer.

He also mentioned that Windows Vista is ultra slow as it spends most of its time indexing its search facility - so turning off the search option immediately increases performance brilliantly.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

Johannes Sørensen

PostWed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 am

A problem is a problem until it is solved.

An Edirol UM-1EX MIDI interface arrived today and it functions. Thanks for the hint, Terry. UM-2EX and UM-3EX will do as well. I have also discovered, that the MIDI interface umi2x2 from MIDI Gadgets Boutique, Bulgaria works with Linux.

Now I have done a few preliminary tests.

The test computer:
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3GB ram, onboard soundcard Realtek ALC850, DirectSound driver.
Ubuntu Linux 9.04 64 bit.
Hauptwerk 3.23 32 bit.

With the default buffer size 2048 I have not experienced audio glitches. If The buffer size is lowered to 1536 there are some audio glitches with heavy registrations, so 2048 is a must.
As far as I can hear the MIDI timing appear to be accurate and the latency to be constant.
Is it possible to measure the latency more accurate than by the ear, and if so how?

When I try to launch Hauptwerk in Advanced Edition evaluation mode and to load a sample set, the system hangs. I don't know why??
To launch Hauptwerk in Basic Edition evaluation mode and to load sample sets there is no problem. With the Free Edition I haven't experienced that problem either.
All Hauptwerk settings are sat to best realism and model accuracy (not highest polyphony).
The polyphony is measured to 800. Not enormous, but with this by today's standard moderate computer, it far surpasses the 256 polyphony limit of the Free Edition.

Even with such a smallholders set up you can use Hauptwerk Free Edition and enjoy your playing.
Of course neither performance or sound quality can exceed what the weakest link permits. I think that the weakest link in the test computer was the onboard soundcard.

Later I hope to do some comparative tests using an audio interface of higher quality.

The available free sample sets and Hauptwerk Free Edition is really a present to those, who don't want to buy a license at the moment.
A sample set which is not on the download site jet, but that shall not be forgotten, is the Enigma with 34 stops and both in a wet and a dry version.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5079&p=35290&hilit=Enigma+Dry#p35290
Likewise sample sets on zionorgan.com.

Best regards
Johannes
Last edited by Johannes Sørensen on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ten87

PostWed Jul 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Johannes Sørensen wrote:I think that the weakest link in the test computer was the onboard soundcard.

Later I hope to do some comparative tests using an audio interface of higher quality.

A list of sound cards that work with Linux is available at http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

I should have mentioned it before, but Artisan uses the M-Audio Delta 1010 LT with the Ubuntu based Sound Engine, and that gives you 8 channels out. With M-Audio's Windows and Mac drivers, you can have up to (4) 1010 LT's in one computer for a total of 32 channels, but I'm not sure if multiple cards would work with Ubuntu or not. I'm guessing probably not. M-Audio mentions Linux drivers here http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=88cbf0e551ad3db4e2bcc581a171166f

There are Linux drivers available for the Hauptwerk USB key at: http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/enduser.aspx Getting Hauptwerk to recognize this Linux driver would get this to the next step. I'll leave that to the experts...I know just enough about these things to get me in trouble! :D

The joys of working with Linux...sometimes you have to jump through hoops to get what you want! :?

Terry

Johannes Sørensen

PostThu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 am

Hi Terry

Thanks for the informations.

It is interesting to know the hardware used in professional build solutions.
Likewise I would be curious to know more about the Linux based virtual organ in Trinity Church and elsewhere, but I suppose it isn't possible to get detailed information.
(To support your occupation and of other reasons, as permanent installation in big churches I prefer the real thing.)

M-Audio Delta 1010LT is actually one of the possibilities I have found and considered.
Another possibility I have found for Linux is audio interfaces from RME.
I have not decided yet which to buy – and how much money to spend. I could discuss it with the minister of finance, but he is also me. Seriously, the quality is most important and it is better to spend time beforehand for searching informations and others experiences and for considerations than to regret afterwords.
I think that the audio interface to buy shall be an upgrade of the normal Hauptwerk set up after these experiments are finished for now. Furthermore for possible later Hauptwerk-Linux experiments it would be easy just to change the hard drive in the computer.
There is no hurry.

A site with amateur and half-professional audio gear for Linux although not complete is http://www.linuxstudiopro.com/

Best regards
Johannes

ten87

PostThu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 am

Johannes Sørensen wrote:M-Audio Delta 1010LT is actually one of the possibilities I have found and considered.
Another possibility I have found for Linux is audio interfaces from RME.

The RME would definitely be a better choice, but considerably more expensive. But then, you probably know that. :-)

Johannes Sørensen wrote:A site with amateur and half-professional audio gear for Linux although not complete is http://www.linuxstudiopro.com/

Thanks for that link!

Terry

johng

PostSat Aug 29, 2009 11:31 am

I have the Free Edition working on Fedora 11. Wine has come a l-o-n-g way.

bassti

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 4:22 am

Hi!

And another success report from the linux world...
I'm using the free edition a few weeks now running under Ubuntu Linux (jaunty) with quite good performance (I think better than under windows, because no ASIO drivers are available for my soundcard).
I use a four years old acer notebook (1.5GHz single core Pentium, 2GB Ram, onboard Sound, Edirol Usb midi interface, so a very low-end system) and Hauptwerk runs perfectly without audio glitches with a polyphony of about 500 (tested with trial version) and a latency below 20ms (corresponding to a buffer size of 512). So, there is no audible delay between pressing a key and hearing the pipe.
It wasn't that easy to get it running that well, but if someone is interested in how to manage it, I can write a tutorial how-to. I think, for older/cheaper hardware it is a better way than using XP/Vista.
I use the Silbermann Großhartmannsdorf/St. Anne/Jeux'dorgues/etc. without any limitations (besides the 256 polyphony in FE).

Just a few remarks how I managed to come to this good latency times (with cheap hardware):
I use the real-time kernel of ubuntu (ubuntustudio project) and the jack audio server. Secondly, I installed wine with wineasio (you need to compile those drivers by yourself due to Steinberg license restrictions). Further, I use the VST instrument plugin (via the software vsthost, also compiled with Steinbergs asio support) because the standalone version of Hauptwerk wasn't running smoothly (I cannot figure out why).
Besides some performance tunings inside ubuntu that is nearly all. I think, the complicated point, for a non-computer/linux expert, is to compile vsthost and wineasio by yourself. Although, ubuntu is very user friendly and the needed build-dependencies are easily installed.
If there is some interest in a more detailed description (I cannot post any compiled versions of the drivers/programs due to the licensing) I can write a short tutorial on this topic.

So, many thanks to the Hauptwerk team for the free edition, because the usb dongle is another project under linux systems, especially concerning the wine drivers. But, now that I know Hauptwerk performs great on my system, this will be tried to get running in the near future.

Best regards,
Sebastian
Next

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)