It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

Kispest realtime spatial control (video) sneak peak

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Csaba Huszty

Kispest realtime spatial control (video) sneak peak

PostWed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Dear Everyone,

please allow me to share with you a sneak peak to the real-time spatial and surround control coming with the Kispest and Matyas organs later. Some detuned raw beta sounds from the Kispest organ can be heard (without tracker sounds). This is recorded by myself on my pretty limited notebook computer (live) just holding chords and notes. The video is about 46 MB.

http://www.inspiredacoustics.com/temp/kps/index.htm

Hope you like it,
Csaba
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

polikimre

Re: Kispest realtime spatial control (video) sneak peak

PostWed Sep 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Looks pretty cool. Is this still implemented inside Hauptwerk in the odf, or is it an external postprocessing application?

cedric

PostWed Sep 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello,

Very nice looking and sounding !

It really must be heard with the headphone to fully appreciate the sensation of space, with the different settings shown. Then it's very impressive.

Thanks for the demo, hope to hear and see some more soon (maybe a pab demo some day ?).
Best regards
Cedric

Csaba Huszty

PostThu Sep 10, 2009 11:37 am

Thank you!

Currently this is implemented as a 64-bit VST plugin (with a separate 32-bit version also ready) and the example you see is running in a VST host with the plugin version of Hauptwerk. Currently it seems that it is impossible to implement such custom signal processing within the ODF so we chose to develop a dedicated VST plugin for this purpose.

As you could see Hauptwerk outputs audio in 3 mono channels in the demo and the tool translates this to either adjustable stereo or other adjustable surround formats with a single mouse-click, e.g. 5.1, 7.1, quad or so. This is possible because these channels are encoded in a compact spatial format supporting this expansion. Up to 8 channels are possible per VST instance but you can launch as many instances as you wish so in theory there are no limits of output channels just what the VST host allows. In other words you can output 16-32-64 channels or so as you wish. Research showed that the sound source localization features of this technique is potentially quite impressive.

In my humble opinion the exciting thing apart from the customization possibilities is this: the pipe organ case behavior is retained in the result while you can use many output channels without the need of additional left-right panning; all will sound as it happened there at the recording.

So for a stereo setup you can customize anything you like and for the surround or other multichannel setup it will sound close as it happened in the real space.

More demos will follow as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Csaba
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

fantapavela

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 10:16 am

This is just amazing!! and so intuitive, without the constraints of IR.

I guess IA is definitely the State of The Art in this field being able to keep together all advantages of modern technology and amazing classic organ sounds.

Congratulations!!!

Paola

Csaba Huszty

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 am

Thank you very much, fantapavela! It is very heart-warming to hear your enthusiasm! It helps power the process of constantly trying to improve and experimenting.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

dalest

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am

congratulations too ! it's very fantastic !! with a headphone, it's real marvellous !!!

fantapavela

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

yes, no way, IA rules.

Paola

Stephen Phillips

PostSun Sep 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Yes it is obviously a new paradigm for the 'relationship' between the end-user (player) and his sample set(s). Talk about vanilla, chocolate or strawberry — now the 'whole damn parlour' (apparently) is up for grabs!

This is a potent technology, obvious even with 2-channel playback.

As I've stated elsewhere, a lot of the startling realism (never mind the versatility) this kind of encode/decode system is capable of (and all the more so should crosstalk-cancellation etc. be deployed as appropriate), is due to the information being presented from the correct direction. Headphones eliminate crosstalk and room effects, and (good ones) bring us into a beguiling intimacy with the sound source. Directional information, on the other hand, has routinely suffered, with the effects well described in the literature and familiar I think to all users.

Until now, it seems. A lot of you are going to want to have a look at this:

http://www.smyth-research.com/

While Inspired Acoustics (and possibly others) have been working on providing highly-versatile sample libraries/virtual organs, Smyth Research has done something at least as extraordinary — sweeping away (surely) virtually every lingering objection to the traditional headphone experience. I've been following this technology for several years now and the bang available from this thing at US $3000 (which includes the 'complimentary' STAX electrostatic headset!) is totally unprecedented — even motion-tracking for comfortable head movement. Anyway, the website explains itself quite well. With a reference room/loudspeaker array of suitable quality, the calibrated-to-individual algorithms place you uncannily and authentically within that environment. Nice.

Looking forward to the opportunity of a 'test drive' — especially an interactive one with a surround- or Surround Customizer-capable organ.

Cheers,

Stephen.
Yours,
Stephen Phillips

smetzger

PostMon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Until now, it seems. A lot of you are going to want to have a look at this:

http://www.smyth-research.com/

I had a live demonstration in my area and all I could say is that it was amazing. It is not cheap ($3,000 plus), but completely realistic. The demonstration chair did sit on a "shaker", so the viseral feeling of the bass was helped along, but when you turned your head the sound stage moved. Like everyone else who experiences this, I imediately took the headphones (Stax) off to make sure the sound is coming from them.

I have not tested them, but Beyerdynamic has their own version: http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Headzone-Home-Head-Tracking/dp/B001BAJ09A. However, it is slightly cheaper and does not require the sound modeling of an existing stereo set-up AND it does not model your own unique hearing. Those two features are what make smyth research that much better. However, Beyerdynamic must be substantially better than DolbyHeadphone. Has anyone tried them?

Csaba Huszty

PostThu Jan 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I just thought I would add that as long as a tracking system of such has an output a plugin's host can read and understand (for example horizontal angle to MIDI) it can be assigned to the surround customizer plugin so the tracking can be matched real-time with the samples.
Yours truly,
Dr. Csaba Huszty

Return to Hauptwerk instruments