It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

Using the two digital outputs on 1010LT

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Using the two digital outputs on 1010LT

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello,

The 1010LT has eight analogue outputs plus two digital outputs. I am under the impression that the two digital outputs can be adapted to also be analogue. What do I need for this to happen?

Thanks,

James

engrssc

Re: Using the two digital outputs on 1010LT

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Basically what is needed is a digital to analogue converter such as this one on eBay presently http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-S-PDIF-to-Analog-Stereo-Audio-Converter-TC-7510_W0QQitemZ370266079507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635940113

The (single) digital output of the 1010LT, when converted, gives you 2 - analogue outputs (outputs 9 & 10). As I recall, the 1010LT has 1 - digital output and 1 - digital input. (Not in a place where I can check that right now).

This particular box (above) is a bit pricey because it has everything possible including Toslink which you don't need. The one I use is/was manufactured by MidiMan and is their "Flying Calf D/A converter", a relatively simple box (1 - S/PDIF input and 2 - analogue outputs) and quite a bit cheaper than the above. I believe it is not made anymore, could be wrong, tho. I did a search on eBay until one became available. BTW, this "Flying Calf", that's really it's name, is compatible with 20-bit, 18-bit or even 16-bit S/PDIF data. The more bits per data word, the better the dynamic range of the output signal, which in turn, equates to better (analogue) audio output quality. This box accepts any sample rate that is 50 kHz or less.

Another nice feature are the internal jumpers which provide either 2 V (rms) (standard line level output) or 1 V (rms) which is a -6dB option. So you can properly match the input level of the power amp you would use.

Another point, you want to keep the digital cable length as short as possible, especially if you use non-coaxial cable between the S/PDIF output of the 1010LT and the converter. The S/PDIF output connector (commonly referred to as "RCA") of the 1010LT is of the female gender. Even tho standard audio (phono) cable uses the same RCA connectors, coax cable is recommended. I made up a small male to male coupler which works great and keeps the cable short. Some may argue cable length doesn't matter, but I didn't want to compromise the digital signal. Besides, the pigtail coming out of the 1010LT was just long enough.

If you want some info on what S/PDIF all refers to, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF which defines the slightly unusual relationship between Sony and Phillips, quite "different" bed partners. :roll:

If you need more, you can Google S/PDIF to analog converter.

Rgds,
Ed

toplayer2

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 7:24 pm

James,

I use two Gefen digital to analog converters on two 1010LT cards. Available here for $64.70 USD:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/367755.html

Joe H.

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Joe,

From what I read, the unit you mention is an analog to digital converter. I might have misread it, but I was under the impression our question was referring to going from digital to analog. :?

There is a Gefen d/a audio converter available from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A for $57.34 USD. I was under the impression that this product was discontinued.

Rgds,
Ed

toplayer2

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 pm

engrssc wrote:Hi Joe,

From what I read, the unit you mention is an analog to digital converter. I might have misread it, but I was under the impression our question was referring to going from digital to analog. :?

There is a Gefen d/a audio converter available from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A for $57.34 USD. I was under the impression that this product was discontinued.

Rgds,
Ed

Ed,

There goes my dyslexia acting up again :( Thanks for catching and correcting my error.

Joe

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey Joe, you and others have caught my dyslexic moments :wink: , and it is appreciated (by me). As long as the end result comes out correct, that's all that really matters. :)

Rgds,
Ed

jwillans

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Many thanks and Ed and Joe. Given the cost of the converters it makes more sense to purchase an additional 1010lt. At least that way, I am getting additional channels which may or may not be used in the future. Are there any other sound cards in the 1010lt price range that offer 10 (or more) analogue channels?

Thanks,

James

mdyde

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello James,

I think the 1010LTs are exceptional value for money - they have excellent audio quality for their cost (of course if you pay a lot more you can get better quality), excellent performance (latency and polyphony) and simple and robust drivers (when they exist, which fortunately they do now for Windows 7). I don't know of a cheaper way to get up to 32 audio channels (four 1010LTs).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jwillans

PostSun Mar 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the 1010LTs do seem rather good value, your response confirms what I thought which is there was not an alternative way of achieving the same end for less money.

Many thanks,

James

thalben

PostSat May 22, 2010 12:22 pm

I would like to add another 1010LT for more channels but my motherboard doesn't have any free slots so using the digital outputs is probably the only answer in this case.

Return to Amplification