It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

Midi control for different organs

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Artonika

Midi control for different organs

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 pm

High everybody! I am new to this forum, I have installed the free edition but have ordered the basic version which I will run via the fantastic Nord C2 combo organ (have anyone used this?) and a homebuilt pedalkeyboard, midified from an old analog organ. Works just fine. I have come so far as to be able to make registrations, couplings etc via a simple Oxygen 8 keyboard. Now I have come to a problem: Where can I find a controller that can memorise different organ settings. Let´s say I have 3 differnet sample sets, each with different settings regarding stops, couplers, swell-pedals etc. I Have looked at Akai MPD 18, or Akai MPD 24 controllers, but can I have these programmed to operate several setups? Anywhone have any experience of this? I would be happy to have an opinion. Cheers from Artonika

gingercat

Re: Midi control for different organs

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Artonika, and welcome to the world of Hauptwerk!
You don't really need to make the pad work with different sets in that once you've configured all your midi input paths for switches/stops etc. in Hauptwerk, those same settings will apply to all sets (unless you make specific overrides for different sets). So if you're after e.g. a Swell to Great coupler button, once you've configured that for a particular button on your pad (in Hauptwerk), that same physical button will have the same effect with any sample sets with those manuals (keyboards).
Have fun,
Chris.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

gingercat

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 2:30 pm

p.s. Just been looking at the Novation Launchpad and that looks like it could be pretty useful with Hauptwerk.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

Artonika

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Thank you for your answer. But I am still confused over this problem: Say I have programmed my Oxygen8 to trigger Subbas 16 (on the S.t Annes Moresly organ) with key nr 48, and if I load a different organ with different, and perhaps many more stops, will this key trigger Subbas 16 in this new organ? No, I have to make new settings for that new organ, and how can I make these new settings and save them? And recall them for the specific organ/sample set? Akai have some different pad-kontrollers that seem to be able to handle these things, but I have no experience of them. Perhaps they can do it? Or the Nano-pad from Korg? Best wishes from Artonika!

mdyde

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello Artonika,

But I am still confused over this problem: Say I have programmed my Oxygen8 to trigger Subbas 16 (on the S.t Annes Moresly organ) with key nr 48, and if I load a different organ with different, and perhaps many more stops, will this key trigger Subbas 16 in this new organ? No, I have to make new settings for that new organ, and how can I make these new settings and save them? And recall them for the specific organ/sample set?

In Hauptwerk, the settings screens on the 'General settings' menu are used to define representations of your MIDI hardware (MIDI controls/buttons/pistons/etc.). Then, with any given organ loaded, you can use the screens on the 'Organ settings' menu to map those MIDI controls to the virtual organ controls that particular virtual organ provides.

Have a look at the 'MIDI input' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (starting on page 121 in the current v3.30 version of the guide) for more details.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostFri Mar 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Martin,

I did run into a situation where the customer had a three manual stack and wanted to use the bottom 2 manuals as great and swell on a two manual sample set. Should I go into the two manual Organ settings and set the choir to play the great and the great to play the swell and leave the MIDI settings in General settings alone?

If that is the case, Thanks for the tip.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Artonika

PostSat Mar 20, 2010 5:12 am

After one nights sleep I think some light has come to me and I think I understand. Thanks a lot!
Artonika

mdyde

PostSat Mar 20, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks, Artonika.

No problem.

I did run into a situation where the customer had a three manual stack and wanted to use the bottom 2 manuals as great and swell on a two manual sample set. Should I go into the two manual Organ settings and set the choir to play the great and the great to play the swell and leave the MIDI settings in General settings alone?

Hello Thomas,

Yes - the idea is that you name the objects on the 'General settings | ... MIDI ...' screens according to you physical MIDI hardware.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the user guide (page 123 in the current v3.30 version) that explains how the 'General settings' and 'Organ settings' screens are intended to be used:

Important: It is essential to understand the distinction between the General settings and the Organ settings menus: the screens and their settings found under the General settings menu are mainly used to define your MIDI and audio hardware and apply to all sample sets. For example you would use the General settings | Keyboard MIDI inputs screen to list the MIDI keyboards you have attached to the computer. The default settings are just defaults; update or rename them to reflect your own hardware (or software) with which Hauptwerk will be used. The Organ settings menu instead stores settings that are specific to whichever sample set is currently loaded. Changing a setting on one of its screens only affects that sample set. The Organ settings menu is mainly used to map the virtual organ's controls to your hardware. For example, the Organ settings | Connect keyboard MIDI inputs to organ keyboards screen allows you to select which of your MIDI keyboards (that you defined on the General settings | Keyboard MIDI inputs screen) you want to map/connect to which of the virtual organ keyboards provided by the sample set. Thus configuring Hauptwerk is a two-stage process: first list/configure your MIDI hardware via the General settings menu, then load each sample set and use the screens on the Organ settings menu to
map your hardware to the corresponding virtual organ objects.

(The formatting unfortunately gets lost when pasting it here, so it's probably easier to read by looking in the user guide itself.)

For example, on the 'General settings | Keyboard MIDI inputs' screen, change the names to:

- MIDI pedalboard
- Bottom MIDI keyboard
- Middle MIDI keyboard
- Top MIDI keyboard

Delete the remaining entries.

Now use the 'Organ settings | Connect keyboard MIDI inputs to organ keyboards' screen to map those MIDI keyboards to whichever virtual organ keyboards you like for each particular sample set.
Best regards, Martin.

Artonika

PostSun Mar 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Well, the problem is when you want to make some kind of stop-control-board for different organs, it won´t work. I was planning to build a stop-control-board with physical draw-stops, but that would only be suitable for one specific organ-set. To be able to manage different organs I am looking for some gear that can handle sevaral setups, the "Launch-pad" could do it, perhaps Akai`s line of Midi pad controllers? Anyone have any experience of these? The best solution is of course a touch-screen, but in the Mac-environment that is not too easy...and pretty expensive!
Sorry for my bad english (I am from Sweden)
Best wishes
Artonika (Hans)

polikimre

PostSun Mar 21, 2010 1:43 pm

You don't need that. You can use the same stop control switch to drive different stops on different organs. for each organ you have you can specify which stop is activated when you move a certain physical stop switch.

Artonika

PostSun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Thank you Imre, I will try that.
Hans

engrssc

PostMon Mar 22, 2010 9:01 pm

You can use the same stop control switch to drive different stops on different organs. for each organ you have you can specify which stop is activated when you move a certain physical stop switch.

The only issue here is how to label the individual stop name per each organ. The most "elegant" solution I've seen is shown here:

And, Hans, your English is just fine. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Artonika

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 2:20 am

Exactly! That`s the real problem! You cannot have labels at all on the stops if you want to run several organs in your Hauptwerk. That´s why I was thinking of some Midi-pad-solution instead, with different "banks" for different organs.
Artonika (Hans)

mdyde

PostTue Mar 23, 2010 5:29 am

Hello Hans,

Hauptwerk (Advanced Edition) also has native functionality to specify custom per-organ text on any number of 32-character LCD displays for labelling physical stops and other controls. MIDI Gadgets Boutique in Bulgaria sell ready-made LCD units for that:

http://www.midiboutique.com/

(The example text shown in that picture is a little out of date!)

However, I'm not sure if anybody has used them for labelling all MIDI stops, since it could get fairly expensive for an organ of any size.
Best regards, Martin.

Lindsay

PostSat May 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Artonika wrote:High everybody! I am new to this forum, I have installed the free edition but have ordered the basic version which I will run via the fantastic Nord C2 combo organ (have anyone used this?) and a homebuilt pedalkeyboard, midified from an old analog organ. Works just fine. I have come so far as to be able to make registrations, couplings etc via a simple Oxygen 8 keyboard. Now I have come to a problem: Where can I find a controller that can memorise different organ settings. Let´s say I have 3 differnet sample sets, each with different settings regarding stops, couplers, swell-pedals etc. I Have looked at Akai MPD 18, or Akai MPD 24 controllers, but can I have these programmed to operate several setups? Anywhone have any experience of this? I would be happy to have an opinion. Cheers from Artonika

Hi, did you end up using the C2 with Hauptwerk?
I'm considering a C2D and am interested in any comments you may have...
Thanks

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing