It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

One note louder than the others

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

b.natural

One note louder than the others

PostSun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 pm

The lowest B on my keyboard tends to sound louder than its neighbours. This happens with most sample sets. I have small KRKs and the subwoofer with the low-pass frequency set to 130 db. I tried setting this lower, but it didn't change much. Any ideas as to what's happening?

I now know I should have taken that course on the physics of sound during my B.Mus. Hindsight...

Michael

RoyKnight

Re: One note louder than the others

PostSun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Michael,

In my room I have a resonance on low A, regardless of the sample set. I have used Hauptwerk voicing to decrease the amplitude for low A on 16' and lower stops. That's the beauty of Hauptwerk.

Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

gingercat

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 am

My room also resonates on low B/ low A# but a quick (well, not always that quick!) tweak in the voicing screens soon cures it. It'd be nice if we could create a "room" voicing that could be applied to all sets. Obviously it would be something of an inexact science as not all sets are equal, but would give us a faster starting point for fine tuning.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

BarryG

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 am

Almost certainly a "standing wave". Mine are at about 80 Hz, plus multiples on some ranks. You can compute the wavelength and it will probably be closely correlated with your room dimensions. I use the voicing feature to mitigate them, usually lowering loudness, then increasing brightness. Large dB changes are sometimes required. Would be unable to play some ranks without this feature! It's interesting that it varies from rank-to-rank, a much bigger resonance with some flues than with most reeds.

Barry

b.natural

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 8:06 am

I will adjust the 16-foot stops and the manual 8 principals first and see if that is enough. These tweaks could take some time. Initially, I thought it was just a voicing issue on the Moseley organ, but discovered a trend with the other instruments.

My thanks again, folks. You always know what to say! :D

Michael

Return to Amplification