It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Nuevo organo

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Carlos Cappellaro

Nuevo organo

PostWed Apr 14, 2010 7:33 am

Hi, hauptwerkians!

This is the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/carloscappe ... directlink to the photos of my new organ! This is a recognition –more than fair- to my father Luis who, at 85 and with no previous experience, designed and built this beautiful console. Of course his name and initials are on the plaque above the keyboards.

In one of the photos you can see Meggie, checking that all the set up is Ok in the Sonar. She’s my friend Estela’s cat. She’s a translator and helps me get in touch with you and with the providers who supplied the different parts of this ‘puzzle’.

The church you can see on the big display in one of the photos is the view I have from ‘my’ organ, a Cavaillé-Coll in Buenos Aires. Perhaps it would be nice if each sample set came with one more view: what you would see sitting at the organ.

In the last photo, my dad and me, and my dream came true.

Here is the description:

Primary monitor: 40 in. Sony LCD TV (also my TV at home).
Two 23 in. Acer T230H touchscreens.
Keyboards, pedalboard and expressions from Midiworks.
Sixteen toe studs from Klann (not connected yet).
Speakers: Four Monitor Audio GS 20 (two at the back, opposite the front speakers), one Monitor Audio GSLCR (central channel, fit in the console) and one Velodyne DD-15 subwoofer (under the PC), all of them go to a Denon 4806 receiver.
The PC:
Intel SC5650WS chassis.
Intel S5520SC motherboard.
Two Xeon X5570 processors.
32 Gb RAM Kingston 1333 Mhz.
Super Talent SSD 64 Gb for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Hauptwerk.
Western Digital Caviar 500 Gb for the sample sets and recordings.
Video: PCIe PNY NVIDIA NVS 450 (up to four displays).
Audio: PCIe RME HDSPe AIO + AO4S-192 AIO (four analog channel expansion board).

telemanr

Re: Nuevo organo

PostWed Apr 14, 2010 10:25 am

All I can say is WOW. What a stunning setup. And your father certainly doesn't look his age.
Rob Enns

organtechnology

PostWed Apr 14, 2010 12:08 pm

OUTSTANDING!

And yes, I would wish to look as good as your father at 85.

Felicidades,

Tomás
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

organtechnology

PostThu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 am

Carlos,

I was reading a studio monitor placement booklet which suggested that the monitors be placed at ear level to enhance the stereo image to the person doing the mixing (or in this case the organist). Have you tried raising the speakers you have on either side of the organ to have the top speaker of each at ear level while playing? To see if it enhances your listening experience?

Pax,

Thomas

Si quiere repuesta en Español via PM es OK.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

pat17

PostThu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

I love this organ - very clean work, a lot of wood to give a warmer atmosphere - even around the monitor - light effects, loudspeakers integration... It must be quite enjoyable to play such an instrument! 8)

Awesome work Carlos! :P

RoyKnight

PostFri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am

Beautiful work! Ingenious design! Does the key board shelf get in your way? By the way, my father is only 84 and he looks much older than your dad. Thanks for posting.

Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

Carlos Cappellaro

PostFri Apr 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello everyone! Rob, Pat, Thomas, Roy, thank you very much on my and my dad’s behalf for your kind comments. All who are in this hauptwerkian adventure know the effort it takes (not only financial) to set up everything. So when you see it finished it’s thrilling and touching.

Thomas (or Tomás, it is the same you?): In another thread you ask about the three monitors. I have a video card PNY NVS450. It has four DVI outputs via DisplayPort-DVI adapters included in the package. It works very well with Win 7 64 bit. You can nominate the monitors in the order you want, change screen settings independently and, in Windows control panel, set which are touch monitors. I use the 40 in. “no touch” as main monitor. There I see Sonar, Sound Forge, etc., and I use the touchscreens only for the sample sets. I have been told that it is not possible to use the video card included in the motherboard and and additional one together.
As regards to the height of the speakers, it’s not a life-death decission. When I am sitting at the organ studying or recording what I play, I have a good spacial feeling setting the Denon 4806 receiver at “5 channel stereo”. When I am evaluating my recordings or just listening I sit in a comfortable armchair which is 5 ft behind the bench, and there I have the tweeters at ear level and I am at equal distance from all the baffles (as recommended for a good 5.1 home theater setup). We organists are used to having the pipes anywhere and we get used to listening that way. Wonderful human hearing adapts to all!

Roy, Congratulations on your new console! I would have liked to have a facade, but as I have a window behind the organ, I would have no light.
I am using the Logitech Wii keyboard (works also with Windows) which is very practical because it is thin, wireless and without numerical pad, which is not necessary for Hauptwerk. With the shelf pulled out, it is just above my legs; that’s enough for the few things I do with it. When I am playing I keep it or leave it on the side. I use the keyboard more when editing from the sofa!

b.natural

PostSat Apr 17, 2010 6:35 am

What a talented man you are! It's a gorgeous instrument.

Michael

cotrvt

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 am

Absolutely beautiful organ. Cute cat too. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Turbo327

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Well done! What a beautiful console. I'm sure you're really enjoying it!
Best wishes
Dan

Carlos Cappellaro

PostTue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am

Hi,

Thank you again for your nice comments!
I AM enjoying the organ, after so much work.

:D

Best wishes,

Carlos

Organorak

PostThu May 13, 2010 4:13 am

What a magnificent set-up - thank you for sharing!

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you have any issues with the twin Acer monitors, I think with one of the other monitors (HP or Dell, I forget which) you could only have one touch sensitive monitor at once as the other one just moved the cursor on the first screen.

Secondly, you have mounted your monitors in landscape, but several people on this forum are talking about touchscreens in vertical (portait) mode for stopjambs and I'm considering getting myself two of the Acers but in portrait mode. Did you try that, would it work - or is the viewing angle not right?

Apparently nearly all the current widescreen multi touch monitors that have come out with the arrival of Windows 7 (Acer, HP, Dell, Packard Bell and iilama) use something called TN which results in poor viewing angles in certain positions and to overcome this you need a PVA or IPS type monitor, but then you'd need a DIY overlay solution for the touch sensitive bit. These monitors seem to be in general around 50% more expensive than TN and so far only 3M has brought out an IPS touch screen. Unfortunately it's around £1200.

Organorak

engrssc

PostThu May 13, 2010 8:59 am

Organorak wrote: Did you have any issues with the twin Acer monitors, I think with one of the other monitors (HP or Dell, I forget which) you could only have one touch sensitive monitor at once as the other one just moved the cursor on the first screen.

You have to set the video card to display monitors in the desktop extended mode, not the mirror mode. You may be aware of the discussion here: http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6152&p=44632&hilit=+touch+screen+monitor#p44632

Rgds,
Ed

Carlos Cappellaro

PostMon May 17, 2010 11:21 am

Hello, Organorak

Thank you for your comments.

The two Acer monitors I have work very well as touchscreens. No driver was necessary. Windows 7 recognized and installed them automatically. At Control Panel/ tablet pc I indicated which of the three monitors are touch - the two Acer and not the Sony 40”.

As regards orientation, I don’t know what to tell you because I have never put them in the portrait position. But if the setting results in an angle which is a as perpendicular to the eyes as possible, there should be no problem. It seems to me that more important than the orientation is the possibility of filling up all the screen with the stops, even if the buttons get ‘oval’; the bigger the buttons, the less chances of mistakes when making a quick change while playing. In the photos you can see the Metz C.Coll at 1024 x 768 and the Kampen Hinz at 1200 x 960 and in both cases all the screen of the Acers is used. Probably many of these issues of the visual presentation of the stops will be enhanced in Hauptwerk 4.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Carlos

Organorak

PostMon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks carlos, the Acers sound pretty good (they were panned a bit in reviews for low contrast ratio but that's probably less important when you have a fixed static image than when watching movies). Good to know they are happy to work together as a pair, and they give the most real estate I think of any of the current affordable touch monitors (OK HP just brought out a 42 inch touchscreen but I don't want to remortgage the house...).

I've been playing around in j-organ to create a user interface for a few instruments including Caen and Salisbury (for when the whole instrument comes out). Idea is to control Hauptwerk via twin portrait monitors at 1920x1080 resolution - PM me if you want my working files - otherwise I'll keep people posted about how it works out especially once I can get my hands on the complete salisbury set.

Organorak
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI