It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

Multi channel cyclic output for surround

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

Multi channel cyclic output for surround

PostWed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 am

I've been using a multi channel setup on my main front speakers in a cyclic mode to split up the notes between various speakers. I also have a set of speakers on a mixdown in my rear with an outboard DSP adding a little more reverb which works very well. Eventually I expect to have a surround sample set which will also use the rear speakers.

My question is, is it possible to have cyclic multi channels on the rear speakers? If not will it be possible with HW 4.0 or 4.1?

I realize with my pseudo surround I would need multiple external reverbs, at least at this point.

Thanks,
Eric

mdyde

Re: Multi channel cyclic output for surround

PostWed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am

Hello Eric,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're aiming for, but from Hauptwerk's point it makes no difference whether any given 'rank' in a surround sample set's is 'front' or 'rear' - the front and rear 'ranks' appear as two separate logical rank objects to Hauptwerk, so you can route them completely independently.

I.e. you could have the 'front' ranks in one cyclic output group, and the 'rear' ranks in a separate cyclic output group if you wanted to.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

OK that makes sense with the surround sets Martin, but right now I'm just using a mixdown for the rear speakers on the non surround Bovenkerk. So instead of a mixdown, can I set up a second speaker group for the rear that duplicates the first group that I'm using for the front, sending / cycling the same notes? I haven't used more than one group thus far.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Hello Eric,

right now I'm just using a mixdown for the rear speakers on the non surround Bovenkerk. So instead of a mixdown, can I set up a second speaker group for the rear that duplicates the first group that I'm using for the front, sending / cycling the same notes?

A given pipe 'rank' entry (being an entry from the left-hand browse list on the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio output routing' screen) can be routed to only one group (although you can split the bass part of the rank off).

So you can't route it to a 'front' cyclic group and a separate 'rear' cyclic group simultaneously.

However, you could conceivably create a separate 'rear' aux mix-down output for each individual logical output in your 'front' group, and mix down the audio from each front logical output just to its corresponding rear logical output. That would effectively duplicate the signal from each front speaker to its corresponding rear speaker.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Apr 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Great, Martin! Thanks.

One other option I thought of was feeding the rear speakers from the line outputs feeding the front ones. The only disadvantage there though would be no convenient volume control of the rear, unless I added some kind of pads, although if I used a reverb for each that would have controls. One advantage to this would be half as many Audiofire outputs would be needed.

Of course if also had a surround set to play then there would be no convenient way to quickly adapt to this.

I think your way is the best.

Return to Amplification