It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

Organ Airliner OA1

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Johannes Sørensen

Organ Airliner OA1

PostThu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 am

Occasionally in Hauptwerk forum we see people – professionals and hobbyists – who have great interests on one hand in flying and aeroplanes and on the other hand in organ music and organs.

Really news can at first appear unbelievable and be met with scepticism. Nevertheless, it is a great pleasure to have the opportunity to announce, that from today it isn't necessary for those of our friends to distinguish between the passions, and there is no need to divide oneself and ones time any more.

Organ Airlines has in an unquestionable epoch-making and exceptional innovative way made it possible to combine the two interests and professions. The company, that is known for creative thinking and to be at the forefront of development, has engineered a genius and nearly perfect total integration as unveiled by a published photo from the cockpit of the remarkable although still prototype machine Organ Airliner model OA1.

Precisely like many other pioneer innovations, when we once have seen this picture, the fusion seems so obvious, that we can wonder why no one have thought of it and realized it a long time ago.

According to report Organ Airlines will make it possible to reserve tickets both for destinations and repertoires and expects this special service to be a strong and outstanding competition parameter in future.

As a necessary consequence to show consideration for the passengers/audiences sense of musical aesthetics in-service training programs is planned for pilots in organ playing and of safety reasons for organists in flying as well.

People who already have had the chance to experience an Organ Airliner tell concordant, that it definitely elevates the organ and organ music to a higher level.

Still, as a shrewd viewer may have noticed, some few minor technical details remain regarding integration of a pedalboard to achieve a completely melting together. However the Organ Airlines public relations officer declares: “We are at the beginning of a new era in flight and organ history. Far-sighted the OA1 was from the very start prepared for improvements.” And surprisingly frankly he reveals that the engineers work seriously and very hard to accomplish the pedalboard integration, and Organ Airlines plan is to have this task finished in model OA2 and realistically hope to be able to introduce it as soon as in a year from today the 1th of April 2011.

Experiencing an Organ Airliner and speechless of the tremendous human ingenuity, at the moment our impressions can be summarized in one single comment; only imagination sets the limits of possibility, and fantasy is boundless.

Take care and have a nice day.
Johannes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Long ago an image file named organ-airliner cockpit was found on the internet, public domain I think, and the idea was given.

johnh

Re: Organ Airliner OA1

PostThu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 am

Brilliant!

pat17

PostThu Apr 01, 2010 4:58 am

Very good and valuable information! :mrgreen:

I'm sure that all the pilots we have on this forum are going to apply to Organ Airlines... if not already working for them! :lol:

amateurorganist

PostFri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 am

I want to become a pilot!

Are my wages doubled if I entertain the passengers at 30,000 feet :D

engrssc

PostFri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 pm

In the words of the old philosopher - 'Gimme a break'. :roll: And to think this 'disclosure' was posted on April 1, imagine that? :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

David Pinnegar

PostSat Apr 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Dear Johannes

Good to hear from you!

"VERY COOL" and "FANTASTIC" and "I'd like one of those" says my youngest son who is an aviation and organ fanatic . . . "VERY FUNNY!!!"

By the way, I haven't got around to building my "outside" organ yet with your boxes, but they are like to be put to good use in the coming weeks by a pop band http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shortwave_Set who will be recording here with a Swedish singer so the sounds of pipe organ might enter popular culture.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

adri

PostWed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 pm

THREE MANUALS AND NO PEDAL BOARD? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS ORGANIST? LOL.

MUST BE A PROTOTYPE, FOR SURE.

WELL, BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD (AKA, PHOTOSHOP)

ANYWAY, VERY ORIGINAL AND ENTERTAINING!

Davidsen

PostTue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Dear Johannes,

I’m sorry I'm a little late, but …

Some days ago I found some pictures on my pc, one of them is 12 years old, it’s an overlay made by me on top of the picture “organ-airliner cockpit” - it will change your story a bit, I think. My first intension was not to share my very personal pictures, but after some considerations I decided to bring them here. You also wrote that the picture is public domain, that’s also my opinion. I captured the picture long time ago in a much higher definition than you see here (my pictures are downsampled).

It was a fine and funny story you wrote about the Cavaillé-Coll-Cockpit (CCC) or what it is, but unfortunately no instructions were given for the very strange instrument board which is made a long time ago, I can tell. Your story and ideas are new, that’s right, but the photo of the strange cockpit is from a much older period, it’s from the days when is was normal that airplanes were flown by classical hydraulic or mechanical systems, today they use other electronic systems so you can “fly-by-wire”, as they say.

Strange enough the CCC-cockpit is without Yoke’s (a yoke is much similar to a steering wheel in a car), maybe the airplane only can fly by the power of thoughts, maybe that’s why you’re unable to spot any conventional flying instruments in the cockpit.

When you’re looking at modern electronic glass cockpits, you only need very few instrument displays on which you can watch actual and critical instruments and situations, and you don’t get tired of having the same view or so, in order to lift the airplane from the ground, just take a look at this quite modern Airbus 380 cockpit:
http://gv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coadan:Airbus_A380_cockpit.jpg

On modern electronic organs, HW-based e.g., you only need a pair of monitors or touch screens in order to give the audience a feeling of being lifted from the ground, then you can move to higher levels and speeds etc. – much the same way in music as in airplanes.

But the cockpit you show needs some essential instruments. With the shown lack of instruments you has to be extremely sensitive to how fast or slow you are going, to how high or low you are flying and to how many turbo jet’s you have started up etc. I miss instruments like a pair of Yoke’s, a Power-quadrant, a Directional Indicator, an Attitude Indicator (with Artificial Horizon), a Turn Indicator etc.

Who do you think would like to steer this impossible machine and who would dare to fly with it? Nobody, I think, it’s pure imagination, but the intensions are fantastic. Many competent people will be able to take off with this kind of airplane and bring it to the sky, but I don’t think that anybody will hear any super sonic sounds during the flight on this converted old DC3 or so - only experienced captain organists will be able to bring the many tons of aging mechanism down to a normal smooth landing, so that the passengers or the audience are interested in another trip with the flying circus.

Back in 1998 my sister had been working as an organist for 30 years. I made this picture to her, the funny “organ-airliner cockpit”-picture was unchanged and used as a background for my frame and words. The original cockpit-picture must have been from 1998 or earlier:
http://www.hcdavidsen.dk/hauptwerk/forum/Gerda_30-years-jubi_OrganJumbo_LowDen_1998-04-13_HCD.jpg

The text is in Danish, at the top it says: Organist or captain on a Jumbo jet? At the bottom it says: Congratulations with the 30 years jubilee, dear Gerda.

I’m sorry I did’nt have the original picture, but I had the picture above in native CorelPAINT format (much the same as Photoshop). I had to dissect the picture part by part, and finally I had the background picture which I exported to a jpg. The exported picture is close to the original, I think, it’s 2038 x 1438 pixels with a definition of 234 dpi and the file size is 1,986,814 bytes. In order to keep the file size down (for me) I downsampled it further to 319,813 bytes, but the size and the definition is the same. You can get a copy of it here, and because it is public domain you can do with it what you like:
http://www.hcdavidsen.dk/hauptwerk/forum/Organ-airliner-cockpit_2032x1438pix_234dpi_LowDen_2010-04-14_HCD.jpg

I also have to show you what I made to my sister 10 years later in 2008. It has nothing to do with the Organ Airliner, but I think it’s just as funny.

In 2008 my sister had been working for 40 years, to her jubilee I made this card - an organ donor card. I had seen a similar card on the internet (not as funny as this one), the card I made looked like this (also compressed):
http://www.hcdavidsen.dk/hauptwerk/forum/Gerda_40-years-jubi_OrganDonor_LowDen_2008-04-13_HCD.jpg

Now in 2010 my sister is still going strong, in July this year she’ll be 70 - she’ll continue until she’s 72.

Many years ago I loved flying virtual airplanes on the pc, I had some sophisticated cockpits and airplanes, but none of them has ever matched the exceptionally cockpit in the Organ Airliner model OA1.

Finally I bring a photo I took in Hamburg 12 days ago on a study tour. It looks like a floting church; maybe they use a water organ?
http://www.hcdavidsen.dk/hauptwerk/forum/Church-on-water_Hamburg_LowDen_2010-04-16_HCD.jpg

Chris
Davidsen

Johannes Sørensen

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks to all for the comments and to Chris for your detailed remarks and for the photo in a much better quality. I sought on the internet for the image in a higher resolution but without luck.

It doesn't matter where on the earth people live but another “Hauptwerkian” in the neighbourhood is fine too, and I have send you a PM in Danish.

Best regards
Johannes

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Apr 29, 2010 6:36 am

Does this mean that "George" will also play it for you. :D
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to General discussion