It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 am

RME Fireface 800 unit

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

orgnyst6226

RME Fireface 800 unit

PostTue May 25, 2010 11:14 am

Hello,
Does anyone have experience with this unit? I just purchased the unit and after some research, discovered that the firewire cable suggested in the manual is the standard 1394 IEEE spec at 400 mb/sec. In order to take full advantage of the 800 mb/sec spec. you need to the the 800 cable and you also need the approp. 9 pin port on the PC. BTW, I'm using a PC with ASUS mobo. I also purchased a FireWire PCIe card with (SIIG brand with TI chipset) for the mobo and 9 pin cable. I'm probably going to be told this is overkill, but I wanted to get some opinions anyhow.
Any tekkies out there with an opinion would be appreciated. Also noteworthy, I spoke with a rep. at RME and was told that if I'm going to be using a PCIe card in a windows based machine to be sure that I got a card with TI (Texas Instruments) chipset to avoid any potential hardware problems. My goal is to eliminate (as much as possible) and latency in the system whatsoever.
Thanks
Thanks
Steve Eppley

telemanr

Re: RME Fireface 800 unit

PostTue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

He's right about the TI chip.
If the RME Fireface unit only sends and receives at the 400 mb/sec rate then that's that.
You need the right cable to interface of course but that won't change the rate of the audio unit.
Rob Enns

organtechnology

PostTue May 25, 2010 5:55 pm

The Fireface 800 is an 800 MHz device
The Fireface 400 is a 400 MHz device.

If you have the TI 800 Mhz card and cable to match you are good to go.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

telemanr

PostTue May 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm wondering why "the cable suggested in the manual is the standard 1394 IEEE spec at 400 mb/sec. " .
Rob Enns

Return to Amplification