It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

MOTU 24 I/O PCIe vs. m-audio 1010lt

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

orgnyst6226

MOTU 24 I/O PCIe vs. m-audio 1010lt

PostSat May 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on these two pieces of hardware? I already own 2 1010lt cards, however, I want the best quality sound I can obtain and am considering the MOTU 24 and MOTU midi express units. I like the idea that I can run individual XLR/TRS cables to the back of the MOTU
Thoughts??
Thanks
Steve
Thanks
Steve Eppley

toplayer2

Re: MOTU 24 I/O PCIe vs. m-audio 1010lt

PostSun May 23, 2010 12:13 am

orgnyst6226 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on these two pieces of hardware? I already own 2 1010lt cards, however, I want the best quality sound I can obtain and am considering the MOTU 24 and MOTU midi express units. I like the idea that I can run individual XLR/TRS cables to the back of the MOTU
Thoughts??

Steve,

The 1010LT cards are excellent sonically. The rat's nest of cables is a bit of a nuisance. The outputs are unbalanced, which may or may not be of any value depending on what amps/monitors are employed. To get channels 9 & 10 requires a D/A converter (e.g., Gefen).

I have changed from two 1010LTs to a MOTU 24io PCIe not so much because of audio quality, but more for the connectivity and four more channels. I use twelve Mackie HR824 and eight Mackie MR5 monitors, all of which have balanced inputs. Channels 21 & 22 are for bass, and 23 & 24 are an AUX mix to drive a Lexicon MX400 reverb.

Joe

orgnyst6226

PostSun May 23, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks a lot Joe for the insight - I'm using 2 mackie srm450's and 1 SWA 1501 sub (pre Hauptwerk) and I'm ordering 4 - QSC K8's to expand the system. Glad you listed your reverb - will look into that as well - right now, I'm using an Alesis nano-verb. I'm also interested in the MOTU for the same reasons and the control too. Another selling point for me is the fact that the m-audio delta uses a standard PCI slot which only transmit data at 133 MB/s, and the PCIe (express) slot (which the MOTU uses) transmits the data stream at 16 GB/s - a huge difference!! Goodbye to the possibility of latency. At any rate, thanks for your input.
Thanks
Steve Eppley

TheOrganDoc

PostSun May 23, 2010 11:54 am

A "Big Welcome" to you Steve,

Joe is most akin to us in his love of the Theater Pipe Organ,

and his knowledge of VTPO systems.

If I can help please contact me....... Mel.......TheOrganDoc......... :D
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

jgallops

PostTue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Steve,

I own 3 MOTU 24 I/Os PCIe version. Each one on a MacPro. In my opinion, there is no comparison between the 1010lt's (I have one sitting in a box that I removed from my first HW computer early on) and the MOTU's. If you want to make the MOTU's even better, you can spend the money to have them upgraded by Black Lion Audio (http://www.blacklionaudio.com/Reviews/M ... dification).

I push the MOTU's to their limit since my virtual theatre organ is over 100 ranks run by 3 MacPro's, all using 96K samples. I don't have breakup or any problems with them. The 96K samples put a lot of stress on the Macs and the MOTUs. I can easily overload a Mac. The ONLY downside I have had with the MOTU's is the power supply is a bit dodgy and I have had 2 of them fail and had to be repaired!! So I keep a spare (yes this means a 4th sitting in a box) since losing one would be problematical for me.

Regards,
Jim

Return to Amplification