It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Changes to Contrebombarde

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

dwood

Changes to Contrebombarde

PostSat May 29, 2010 9:59 am

You will notice some changes to the Contrebombarde Concert Hall site.

The Dashboard:

We thought it would be useful for you to be able to see statistics on what goes on at Contrebombarde. So you will now find modules like Most Popular, Top Contributors, and Most Commented on in addition to the Recent Uploads.

Concert Hall:

We reworked the sorting a little bit so that what you have chosen to sort by appears at the top of the page. We also added "Listens" to the columns so that you can look for the most popular pieces directly.

Sample sets:

We added a lot more of the normally uploaded sample sets to the drop down lists. This allows your pieces to come up better in searches by sample set. Some of the sample set providers have been really good about letting me know when we've missed their sets. Thank you. Note: the hybrid sets and CODM sets were not updated. If you want your particular home made set to show up, please email me.

Look for more exciting changes to Contrebombarde over the next few months. So keep visiting and keep doing what you do there.

Thanks,

D

Note: Thanks to Rich Sung for coding up these changes.

PeterB

Re: Changes to Contrebombarde

PostSat May 29, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm trying to upload "Les Enfants de Dieu" from La Nativité, but nothing happens when I click the "Upload" button. Has uploading been temporarily disabled? I've tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome on Mac OS 10.6.

organtechnology

PostSat May 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Darryl,

How do I search for and play a particular sample set without sorting the on organ and stepping through the pages one by one until I find the group? I want to listen to all the uploads for a certain instrument for research purposes.

Pax,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

kiwiplant

PostSat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm

I just tried searching by organ name too and nothing shows up. It says "There is no music to display".
The search seems very very limited. Almost everything I've searched for over the past months returns no results. When I page through all the uploads eventually the song comes up.

Is there a different way to use the new organ sample sets to find songs?

Maybe a list by organ would be good on the dashboard?

It would be great to search by equipment, location, composer, genre, and other things too.

Thanks,
Paul

dwood

PostMon May 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

All the uploading capabilities are working again.

We also included organ sample sets in the search. We don't store some of the the other information (i.e location) in the database at this time, so that might not happen now.

A note about searching in general on Contrebombarde:

Searches, whatever category, will only search through items that are in the drop down menus. So while searching for "Bach" will yield a good haul because there are bachs in the list, searching for "Rolf Schweitzer" might not get you much right now.

Searches are also different from sorting.

The Concert Hall tab allows you to sort through, and alphabetize, anything that is in a particular column. Searching, currently, looks at all the drop down boxes and will also find your search string within the "title" field.

So, if you have a favourite composer or sample set that is not currently in the drop down list, please email me so I can add that to the list.

Note: Genre is not part of the search as yet. I'll put that on the list of things to do.

As always, you can keep suggestions coming. We will be doing some more work on the site in the next little while. So this is a good time to be sending suggestions either by email or on a thread.

Darryl
midisales@organworks.com

dwood

PostMon May 31, 2010 3:30 pm

A quick update:

Genres are now a part of the search - items in and not in the drop down list
You can also now search composers who are not in the drop down list. "Rolf Schweitzer" will now show up in a search.

I think you'll find the searches to be greatly improved. However, if you find a bug, let me know.

Darryl

ReinerS

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 am

Hello Darryl,

the search works really nicely now, thanks for this improvement!
One very minor suggestion: It would be nice if the search also displays the number of items found.

Keep up the good work!
Reiner

organtechnology

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Darryl,

One teeny-weeny request.

When using play all; there is some indicator as to which piece is actually playing. A highlite a low light or something so that when you hear an interesting piece you can identify which one it is.

Thanks,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

dwood

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll see what we can do on the count and the player.

Darryl

telemanr

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Not that it's a great tragedy but you can't hear anything on Contrebombarde on an iPad since Jobs has decreed Flash to be the devil's work. Apparently "evil" is actually spelled "Adobe".
I wouldn't really want to listen to organ music on it anyway although it has a better sound than you'd think.
Rob Enns

dwood

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Hmm.

Good point on iPads (i presume iphones too) and Flash. Going to have to look into that wrt Contrebombarde. Maybe there is something better we could be using.

I'm not sure if "evil" is exactly the words he used. So here are his words directly:

http://www.apple.com/ca/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

You can make up your own mind if he's right or wrong.

telemanr

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 8:20 pm

"Evil" is perhaps a tad exaggerated. But just a tad. Jobs has declared war don't forget. And not just with Adobe. He's not exactly in love with Microsoft either. These guys, i.e., Warnock, Gates, Jobs, Ellison, etc., are not warm and fuzzy guys.
However, I own Photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5, and I've had every MS Office prog. since Word 1.0. So I'm not really complaining. With them trying to knock each other out, we users get the best of it.
Rob Enns

kiwiplant

PostTue Jun 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for the newly added search capabilities. Very helpful so far.

Found perhaps a bug in the search.

Search for: García-Martínez Frechilla returns nothing
but
Search for: Frechilla returns 7 items

I would have figured the full name should have returned the same results?

Paul

dwood

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 am

The search is a bit quirky still. We're looking at it.

iPads, iPhones and iPad touches can still use Contrebombarde at the moment. However, they must click the download button to do so currently. I just tried it on the iPad and it worked that way. We're also seeing what we can do to make that work better for mobile browsers.

BTW, is acessing CB via moblie browsers and iPad type apps an issue for a lot of you?

Darryl

PeterB

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 2:21 pm

The user page now only lists the 10 latest uploads. If a user has uploaded more than ten pieces, there is no way to find them except by searching for them on the Browse page.

How about listing all uploads on the user page, using pagination?
Next

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall