It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 pm

Salisbury Willis Vol II?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

gingercat

Salisbury Willis Vol II?

PostTue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 am

Hi Brett,
Any news on when we can be expecting volume 2 of this fantastic sample set?
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Salisbury Willis Vol II?

PostTue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Hello Chris,

I plan post some information about the status of Salisbury Volume 2 quite soon.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

gingercat

PostTue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks Brett :)
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

coupler

PostWed Jun 30, 2010 5:30 am

That is great news! I am ready for Vol II also Brett.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

clement703

PostWed Jun 30, 2010 3:56 pm

I agree - ready for II (and III) !

I have built a console that duplicates Salisbury keyboards, thumb & toe pistons and Swell/Solo expression pedals. Looking forward to more stops and sounds.

Richard Linder

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Brett:

Some of us no longer buy green bananas but, nevertheless, anxiously await Volumes II and III !
Best wishes,
Dick Linder
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA

PeterD

PostFri Jul 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Waiting for the completion of a Willis organ isn't new- here's a little piece about the Durham Cathedral organ ( similar spec. to Salisbury)
""Great was the joy and excitement in Cathedral circles when the new Willis organ of 1876 was on its way. As usual it was late - only six months! - and on the grand reopening day of the Cathedral…Father Willis had supplied nine stops on the Great organ and a Great to Pedal coupler with no Pedal pipes. He screwed on the nine knobs ten minutes before the first choral service. These stops, without reeds or Mixtures, were so magnificent, and Dr.Armes's use of them so masterly - that a series of some six festival services with a union of Cathedral choirs singing elaborate music, was in the highest degree efficient."
Nevertheless Armes seems to have aired some doubts about the organ in its unfinished state, and Willis had to reassure him: "Do not be anxious there is nothing to fear. It will all come out beautifully. I hope you have not been alarming the good people of Durham by anticipating failure. That is a word we never hear or understand. I have been using all the means in my power to quite finish your organ before the end of the year…I have completely built the organ but have not been able to get it all in action. The great bulk however is there and its foundation of tone you have heard… The men return…tomorrow night. I wish to do the whole work myself but I cannot get done to finish till Monday 5th Jan. [but you have] my assurance that by the end of the 2nd week in Jan. all shall be absolutely complete and perfect."

Is a spectral Willis working at MDA ?
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

smetzger

PostMon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 am

Brett,

Be sure to let us know how much RAM will be needed as well.

Randall Mullin

PostThu Jan 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi Brett,

I realize that you are extremely busy these days with HW4 and Salisbury Vol. 2. Just two quick questions for you.

1. In trying to re-tune some "funky" notes on the swell celeste of Salisbury Vol. 1 with the Pipe and Rank voicing screen, I noticed that both the straight rank and the celeste rank play in this mode and that the tuning seems to affect only the straight rank. Please correct me if I am wrong. If that is indeed the case, how do you retune the celeste?

2. It seems to me that there is more noise than other sample sets in 24-bit when recording using vol 1. Is this extraneous noise or blower created noise, which can be turned down?

Many thanks,
Randall
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 am

Hello Randall,

The Swell celeste was recorded along with the straight string rank. The real organ works that way (when you pull the celete it also plays the main rank together) and we had to record it this way. So any celeste tunings will remain even when adjusting the voicing since you are affecting both the straight and celeste rank together at all times.

There shouldn't be any noises other than the blower. You can either disable the blower from loading to see for certain, or simply reduce the amplitude in the voicing (you will need to use Function | Reset to hear the volume adjustment after you make the change in the voicing screen). If that isn't what you are hearing please create an audio recording and send it to me to listen to and I can see if something else is at play. The recordings are very clean so you really shouldn't hear noises and even the blower is fairly low in volume, did you perhaps accidentally raise the levels for the blower in the voicing?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Randall Mullin

PostFri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Brett,

Many thanks for the information. I had a feeling that the Swell celeste was untuneable by itself. I just had to ask. Regarding the noise factor, I will investigate the blower volume level. I have a recording of Bouvard's Noel Vosgien, on Contrebombarde which represents what I am hearing. Other than a slight boost to the Oboe volume level, there have been no changes from how it was shipped. All of the stops/noises are recorded at 24 bit and this mp3 is recorded at 320kbps.

Along with everyone else in the Hauptwerk community, I applaud your wonderful work and I look forward to the remaining volumes of the Salisbury.

Again, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to respond..

Randall
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

coupler

PostSat Mar 12, 2011 11:44 pm

B. Milan wrote:Hello Chris,

I plan post some information about the status of Salisbury Volume 2 quite soon.

Are we close yet? Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers,

David Russell

GKruizenga

PostSun Mar 13, 2011 3:35 am

Still we have got no update on the availability of HW4... maybe Salisbuty Vol II will included "as free" in HW4 to compensate for the huge delay of the HW4 delivery.

Fokko

PostSun Mar 13, 2011 7:31 am

GKruizenga wrote:Still we have got no update on the availability of HW4... maybe Salisbuty Vol II will included "as free" in HW4 to compensate for the huge delay of the HW4 delivery.

Bad joke - I think at least. There is no right on any sample set at all, in my opnion Hauptwerk in all versions is a great gift to enjoy. Please be patience.
I fully agree with
Randall Mullin wrote:Along with everyone else in the Hauptwerk community, I applaud your wonderful work and I look forward to
Fokko Horst

Organorak

PostSun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Will Salisbury vol II complete the instrument? Or will it leave me tantalizingly short of a tuba, whilst vol III goes into final testing mode? How many volumes either were originally or are now planned for Salisbury?
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments