It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Mackie MR8

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

coupler

Mackie MR8

PostThu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Forum,

I am planning my plunge into a multi speaker set-up. I currently have a pair of Mackie HR824 speakers (+ Genelec 7060B sub) which are great for Hauptwerk. I sometimes use JBL EONS which are o.k. but less than ideal. I want to put my HR’s back in the “studio” and am considering 6 MR8’s in their place.

Do any forum members use or have comments on these speakers? I am tempted as the cost of 6 is less than a pair of HR824’s.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

toplayer2

Re: Mackie MR8

PostThu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am

David,

As you recognize, more audio channels can be beneficial for VPOs, especially those which have been sampled dry. My experience has led me to believe that quality is more important than quantity. I presently use twelve HR824 monitors and also have eight of the MR5 which are tonally quite similar to the MR8. When comparing the HR with the MR, there is a fairly considerable difference in favor of the HR. Personally, I would prefer one pair of HR to six MR. The original pre-Mk II 824 is one of the best sounding and most accurate speakers available at any price. As an aside, I do all the voicing for the Paramount series with a single pair of HR monitors and a Trinity sub.

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Jul 08, 2010 4:29 pm

The Hr824's can be had for a good price on ebay if one doesn't mind 2nd hand units.

toplayer2

PostThu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:The Hr824's can be had for a good price on ebay if one doesn't mind 2nd hand units.

Second that. Ebay is where I got all but the first pair (which were purchsed new). Average price has been around $600 per pair.

Joe

coupler

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Joe and Eric

My HR824,s are the original version and are very good monitors. Unfortunately here in Aus you don't see them second hand on ebay very often (if ever). I am going to audition the MR8,s in the next few days to see if they suit my taste. You do get a little spoilt when you already own a good set of speakers so I may well end up with another pair of HR’s.

Cheers,
Cheers,

David Russell

Return to Amplification