It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 pm

Questions about supporting a surround sample set

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

gtaubman

Questions about supporting a surround sample set

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm thinking of purchasing this sample set: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/vele ... tory.0.asp which comes with a surround version. Right now I have two Yamaha HS50Ms running through an HS10M sub. From what I've read, if I wanted to support the surround version of that sample set, my best bet would be to:

1) Upgrade to the advanced version of Hauptwerk which supports > 2 channels :).
2) Purchase two more HS50Ms.
3) Route all the "back" samples to the "back" speakers, "front" to "front".
4) Configure the sample set via bass routing so that all notes lower than <some note> always go to the front to sets of speakers (which run through the sub) even when those notes belong to the "back" set.

Is that the preferred solution? Or do people actually have two subs? Doing what I described above makes sense to me when you just have a multi-monitor set up, but seems a little more confusing when using a surround set.

Thanks!
Gabe

Morse

Re: Questions about supporting a surround sample set

PostWed Aug 11, 2010 7:14 am

That's what I do and I'm very happy with the result. I only have one Subwoofer and theoretically low frequencies don't have much directivity anyway.

I also don't have the luxury of the same model speakers front and back, but I do have an extra stereo channel for the front pedal ranks.

I think you are going to love true surround sound!
Al Morse

Return to Amplification