It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

Using active & passive speakers together etc.

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Kronenberg II

Using active & passive speakers together etc.

PostSat Sep 04, 2010 9:30 am

I am approaching a situation in my DIY set-up where I need to think about speakers and amplification. Do I need a surround-sound amplifier etc. I am not particularly electronics literate.

The sound hardware I already have is as follows:-
1) A !0" active subwoofer
2) A pair of passive Kef Cresta speakers
3) A pair of passive Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1
4) A quite old Technics stereo amplifier with 4 speaker sockets (A900 Mk2)
5) Saffire LE interface

Will all this go together to provide a good quality home-use sound? If so, what type of plugs/leads are required.

Suggestions welcome.

Richard

jkinkennon

Re: Using active & passive speakers together etc.

PostSat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am

I would expect your equipment to provide great sound in a home environment. I'm not familiar with the KEF speakers, but I see that the amp can provide four 90 watt outputs for the speakers. The cables between the Saffire LE and the amp would be unbalanced phone plugs to RCA "phono" plugs on the opposite end. I'd start with a main HW channel using the Whafedales and the sub in combination. Check the sub's manual for possible ways of connecting but I'd tend to start with the main channels going to the sub and then on to the Wharfedales if the sub supports that sort of connection. If you have surround sample sets or reverb software then perhaps the KEFs are the rear channels. Later you can experiment with a separate pedal channel for the sub if you like.

There are so many possibilities, but the main point is that this equipment can produce excellent results. Down the road a larger sub might add something. I've run speakers from both PA amps and from a Sony home entertainment receiver and can't say I hear a difference at normal listenning levels, except that the PA amp's fan is a huge distraction at the moment so it will either get mounted inside my console or I will go back to using the Sony.

Kronenberg II

Re: Using active & passive speakers together etc.

PostSat Sep 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for that encouraging reply. I hadn't really picked up the fact that some samples are actually 'surround sound' from the box. Interesting times to come!

Thanks,

Richard

Return to Amplification