It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:18 pm

Bi-polar speakers???

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

cknight

Re: Bi-polar speakers???

PostTue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks for mentioning that the cable for the MOTU can be up to 60 feet. The cable that came with my unit is fifteen feet. Will the PCIe card work with generic FireWire cables or is there something special needed?

Hi, Joe. The PCIe-424 uses MOTU's proprietary AudioWire protocol, but the connectors and cables are normal FireWire. 15' is the officially supported cable length for FireWire if not using hubs or repeaters, so it's a little harder to find longer ones. I got my 50' FireWire cables from PCCables.com.
Clinton Knight
Apex, NC, USA
http://ambassadororgan.wordpress.com/

mdyde

PostWed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 am

I am using two HR824s with a DefTech Supercube I (Trinity or Reference are a still a dream at this financial stage as the 32-RAM custom-built new PC and the console ate up most up my budget...). They work fine, the Supercube is a truly great sub for 16' and 32' pedal stops! The sound card is Fireface 400.
I am yet to set up the crossovers and eliminate some popping in pleno/tutti playing - any hints?

Hello Sipiric,

Re. audio popping, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the 'performance tuning' section in the Hauptwerk user guide. Maybe you just have your audio output or polyphony limit set too high. Failing that, work through the Windows/PC audio performance diagnostic steps in this document:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

toplayer2

PostThu Sep 23, 2010 6:50 pm

cknight wrote:
Thanks for mentioning that the cable for the MOTU can be up to 60 feet. The cable that came with my unit is fifteen feet. Will the PCIe card work with generic FireWire cables or is there something special needed?

Hi, Joe. The PCIe-424 uses MOTU's proprietary AudioWire protocol, but the connectors and cables are normal FireWire. 15' is the officially supported cable length for FireWire if not using hubs or repeaters, so it's a little harder to find longer ones. I got my 50' FireWire cables from PCCables.com.

Thanks, Clinton!

Joe

sipirc

PostSat Sep 25, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks,Martin, I shall try that.
All the best,
Greg

PeterD

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 10:57 am

I've got a pair of these -Goodmans Dimensions 8. Genuine bi-polar speakers which ( in the 1970's) were supposed to give a wide soundstage - and eventually this proved to be something of a commercial dead end as a focussed stereo image seemed to be the general preference. I did use them for a while but they didn't impress as much the much more "high end" Kef 105's ( which have adjustable direction for the tweeter and mid range) and handle both Hi-fi and HW output with aplomb. You can see from the pic that the drivers ( 8 in all) fire at 90 degrees apart and the bass from the rear .

The speakers were supposed to function like this
Goodmans' attempt to enter the high end..nice try...but not quite !... price of failed technology.. £8 at local auction

Peter
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

jonr

PostThu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 pm

toplayer2 wrote:IMO, six HR824 or SM450 with a Supercube would serve you better than the DefTec with built in subs.

Hi Joe. I decided to evaluate the Mackie HR-824s. I got a used pair of the original 824's and set them up yesterday. I like them quite a bit. I was a bit surprised at how heavy they were. I will begin to search for some more 824s. My initial though is to buy 8 of them, 2 for use with a subwoofer for the pedal stops and bottom octave of 16' manual stops, and 6 to be used in either 2 stereo groups of 3 speakers each, or 3 groups of 2 speakers each. I now have some questions on how to place them. Can you put one on top of another one, or is that a bad idea? I'm also wondering what to put them on. Do you recommend any speaker stands? Or maybe I should consider some tables. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jon

kwsmith15

PostThu Oct 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Jon,

My current plans for speakers also includes acquiring several more HR824s (I have 2 now), though I'm considering some other active speakers (Focals) before I start taking the next steps here. I will have the same problem you describe.

I'm presently planning to have two free-standing speaker shelves built (as well as having a console built) that will have sufficient strength to hold 6 HR824s each a short distance away from my console, held at about ear level. Assuming I conclude 3 on each side is not enough (total 6), I'd be able to double up (put them on top of each other) for 6 on each side (total 12) (plus a subwoofer). We'll see. I'll consider adding two more much smaller speaker shelves behind me to reproduce the surround sets eventually.

The lower part of each cabinet will hold music, books or other small objects behind closed doors relating to the organ (various adjusting tools and leftover but potentially useful parts).

I'm not interested in playing loudly, but I'm very interested in accurate tone color. I'm now experiencing the beating thirds problem (Franck, Prelude, Fugue and Variation on the Metz, a single reed drawn on the recit in combination with flutes from the recit, positif and great, b-minor chord in 2nd inversion near the middle of the keyboard if memory serves), and intend to experiment (slowly) with adding speakers to solve the problem as has been suggested elsewhere on the forum. The beating tones I'm hearing are pretty irritating; I don't consider my ears all that great but I've never experienced this beating before playing pipe organs and I hope to eliminate it over time from my HW setup.

Best of luck to the both of us.

Ken
Previous

Return to Amplification