It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

Which instrument to play Bach?

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

pat17

Re: Which instrument to play Bach?

PostSun May 09, 2010 6:46 am

RoyKnight wrote:Patrick - Glad we all could help you in your decision. I know you will love the Kampen; it is wonderful sample set!

Thanks Roy! Do you have the three CDs? Are they worht buying all of them - for the time being I have ordered the first one only? :wink:

I've played it a little bit yesterday - I had some issues with the license update that has been solved thanks to Brett's great help - and I find it amazing. I've tried a large registration - quite impressive - and a more intimate one - very beautiful. :wink:

I think I shall use it more and more, but as mentioned by some other Hauptwerkians, I shall continue practising with the Anloo - it's better in order to see one's mistakes and correct them. With the - superb - reverb of the Kampen, it can go unnoticed. :wink:

pat17

PostSun May 09, 2010 7:00 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:And to think I've had volumes II and III since last November and haven't even installed them yet. Guess I've just been to busy, or I forget when I would have time. Than lately I've been experimenting with speakers and have used the excuse that if I had II and III installed, it would take much longer to load after making audio channel changes, which it would. I'll soon need to stop making excuses.

Eric, do you mean you are using a multichannel setup? :wink:

As for me, I'm just in stereo, so no specific work to be done but the installation itself. And it's really great.

Besides, coming from the Home Theater world, I much prefer to have a nice stereo system than an average multichannel one. My living room is not big enough to justify going beyond a 5.1 setup for Home Theater, but in itself, it's already quite a challenge to get it right. It requires the same quality - and brand - of amplifiers, compatible loudspeakers within the same range of products, cabling - my setup is fully analog - careful setup of the system with a specific attention to be given to both the sweet spot and the subwoofer cross over and placement in the room... I was not ready to start that journey again for the organ which is located in a different room - beside the fact I cannot afford another full multichannel system again.

Even so just Volume I is wonderful.

Once you have installed the additional DVDs, I would appreciate if you could share with us how essential these additional parts are to you. :wink:

RoyKnight

PostSun May 09, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks Roy! Do you have the three CDs? Are they worht buying all of them - for the time being I have ordered the first one only?

Yes, Patrick, I have all 3 volumes of the Kampen. When I used volume 1 only I was impressed with the organ and the acoustics, but I found myself desiring more of the beautiful solo stops that I knew were coming in future editions. The vox humana is beautiful, especially with its sampled trem. I also am very fond of the dulzian, the 16' reed in the ruck postive, not to mention the nice cornet possibilities. As I stated earlier, it is the organ I play most often.

I think I shall use it more and more, but as mentioned by some other Hauptwerkians, I shall continue practising with the Anloo - it's better in order to see one's mistakes and correct them. With the - superb - reverb of the Kampen, it can go unnoticed.

Now you understand the difference in a practice vs.a performance instrument. Enjoy the Kampen!

Roy
"Practice makes permanent"

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun May 09, 2010 9:27 am

pat17 wrote:
Eric Sagmuller wrote:And to think I've had volumes II and III since last November and haven't even installed them yet. Guess I've just been to busy, or I forget when I would have time. Than lately I've been experimenting with speakers and have used the excuse that if I had II and III installed, it would take much longer to load after making audio channel changes, which it would. I'll soon need to stop making excuses.

Eric, do you mean you are using a multichannel setup? :wink:

Yes I do.

pat17 wrote:As for me, I'm just in stereo, so no specific work to be done but the installation itself. And it's really great.

Besides, coming from the Home Theater world, I much prefer to have a nice stereo system than an average multichannel one. My living room is not big enough to justify going beyond a 5.1 setup for Home Theater, but in itself, it's already quite a challenge to get it right. It requires the same quality - and brand - of amplifiers, compatible loudspeakers within the same range of products, cabling - my setup is fully analog - careful setup of the system with a specific attention to be given to both the sweet spot and the subwoofer cross over and placement in the room... I was not ready to start that journey again for the organ which is located in a different room - beside the fact I cannot afford another full multichannel system again.

Even so just Volume I is wonderful.

Once you have installed the additional DVDs, I would appreciate if you could share with us how essential these additional parts are to you. :wink:

Sure, no problem. I had actually forgotten the biggest reason I didn't get the disks installed is that about a week after I got the disks I sent my Audiofire 12 audio interface to Echo for repairs. Then I didn't get it back until the beginning of March. Actually they sent me a loaner as they couldn't fix mine. They say they'll send me a new one once they get more in.

phillyorganist

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 7:25 am

Could someone tell me which is the "Anloo" organ? For the life of me, I can't seem to find it among the list of organs. Which builder/country/vendor?
Jim

James

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 am

Hi
The Anloo is actuallt the Magnuskerk Anloo, by Radeker & Garrels, 1719. It is available from Prospectum: http://www.prospectum.com/en/start.htm The price is 99 euros, a real bargain By the way, the Kampen, actually the Albertus Anthoni Hinsz from MDA, is wonderful.
James

phillyorganist

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks for the info on the Anloo! It does sound like a bargain.

I've been digesting all of the advice and comments people have made about which instrument for Bach. I love Bach, and will definitely be buying a baroque sample set as my first choice when I get my Hauptwerk setup in a week or so. The Kampen is expensive, and I've heard comments about it not being the best organ for "practice;" however, I'm sure I'll want to get it eventually (or even Vol 1 or 1/2 to start) for the sheer pleasure of playing it with the reverb. It sounds beautiful. I also very much like the Trost, and have watched professional organists on Youtube playing Bach on the actual organ. But, as many point out, it's a bit "dry" for the home. (Maybe someday someone will re-sample a "wet" Trost set??). I visited someone last weekend who had the Trost (in Chester Co, PA) and it did sound nice and I like the stop selection.

Otherwise, based on the comments and the demos I've heard, I'm seriously considering the Bosch -Schnitger Vollenhove. It has a bright sound, the right amount of reverb, is recommended by many to be a good organ on which practice (i.e., clarity of sound) and the price is more reasonable than the Trost or Kampen.
Jim

patrice

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 am

Hello,
The freiberg silberman of sonus paradisi has all the qualities you need and more
and with the surround version you will not be disapointed for many years!
patrice

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Yep... Freiberg and the new Velesovo, with surround of course :D Both organs has excellent clarity, and the kind of reverb I like.

The Freiberg is an historic, Silbermann organ from Bach's era, the Velesovo is a brand new organ (2007) built in the Thuringian style with a more extended selections of ranks. You can't go wront with any of them I think. The additional stops of the Velesovo makes it a bit more flexible I would say and as some "tenderness" to its sound.

Don't hesitate to download the demo of the Velesovo, it is, I think, the best "free" organ available with 10 ranks, couplers and tremulant... without compass limitation or "sound cut" after a while. A very nice gift from Jiri to the Hauptwerk community.

Enjoy
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

pat17

PostFri Oct 01, 2010 3:22 pm

phillyorganist wrote:Thanks for the info on the Anloo! It does sound like a bargain.

I've been digesting all of the advice and comments people have made about which instrument for Bach. I love Bach, and will definitely be buying a baroque sample set as my first choice when I get my Hauptwerk setup in a week or so. The Kampen is expensive, and I've heard comments about it not being the best organ for "practice;" however, I'm sure I'll want to get it eventually (or even Vol 1 or 1/2 to start) for the sheer pleasure of playing it with the reverb.

It was with the Anloo I discovered Bach in Hauptwerk. It is now with the Hinsz I'm trying to playing his music decently.

As you look to search for a wet organ with a nice reverb, don't hesitate - if you can afford the Hinsz, it's really beautiful... 8)

phillyorganist

PostSat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 am

Great new suggestions! I love the Velesovo, Francois.

Just listened to Fazioli's rendition of Bach's Prelude and Fugue in F Major, BWV 540 on the Velesovo. Wonderful depth of sound, reverb. Must listen to more

Too many choices!

Now, off to practice!
Jim

ajt

PostSat Oct 02, 2010 5:04 pm

The Velosovo is lovely; at least the trial is. I'm looking forward to being able to purchase the full version. As an instrument, I feel the trial version is quite able to stand on its own and suffices for my needs, but I have to buy the full version to support the excellent work that went into it.
Adrian

Patrick Larhant

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 am

The new Velosovo is fantastic for Bach. It is very clear and precise and, at the same time, is mellow and not at all harsh and has the "Gravitas" that Bach is said to have constantly required with insistance. The voicing make intermediate voices very audible in polyphony. It has the amount of 8'stops found in what we call "Thuringian organs". If you like a plenum with only unisons and quints , you have it with the mixtures (if I hear correctly, which is not sure) ; if you want a plenum with tierce coloration, you can add the sesquialtera which blend perfectly with the mixtures.
The wet version is perfect to work, because its acoustic is precise enough to reveal any mistake. The surround is great to play the pieces once the notes have been learned.
The console layout on the touch screen is nice to the eyes and ergonomic. The 56 notes and 30 notes compass allows to use the sampleset as "standard organ for everyday study".
All that is only a subjective opinion, but, with this restriction, I think this sampleset has probably the best quality/price ratio for the nowadays available "Bach organs".
But Bach sounds well on many instruments and the personal taste is, after all, the main criterion.

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I downloaded the Velosovo demo last night and installed it tonight. Wow, it is very nice and clear. It's the smoothest sounding organ I've heard yet. Sure I hear the beats at times that generally bother me, but it is just so much easier on my ears than the Kampen, or even Freiberg demo, although I don't know quite why. For one thing even using the original organ tuning, it just seems lively but much more calm than the Kampen. I know the Kampen has more reverb that I really like, but I don't think that's what makes it more harsh somehow. For now I'm just using my pseudo surround, but next I will try the surround on the demo. I'm anxious to see how that sounds.

Eric

Anton Heger

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 2:20 am

For now I'm just using my pseudo surround, but next I will try the surround on the demo. I'm anxious to see how that sounds.

I'm too; what do you like most??
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments