It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

Subwoofers - recommendations!

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Simon Bell

Subwoofers - recommendations!

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 am

Dear All

I've been beavering away building my 4 manual Hauptwerk Console, and progress is good... except...

I need to find a good subwoofer for use in my study. I'll be purchasing a Hi-fi amplifier and floorstanding speakers. To complement this, I've been recommended a Ruark Vita 50 to help with low pedal frequencies, but I don't think that they are made anymore. I'd be grateful of the advice of others about other Subwoofers and their effectiveness and value for money. My budget is not enormous...

Thanks

Simon

OPUS1883

Re: Subwoofers - recommendations!

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 11:01 am

Hi. Check out BK Electronics subwoofers. I have had 2 of them... the first sub i had was the XLS-200, and it cost just over £300. I now have the monolith but the XLS-200 should be more than enough for a study size room. Can produce frequencies down to 17HZ, and is available in many different colours and finishes.

Chris

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi,

I really like Definitive Technology Supercube serie (III, II, I http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx); very powerful, goes low in a very small format and nice finish (important for the WAF... wife acceptance factor :wink: )

François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ajt

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 2:47 pm

The big question is - have you got Andy Lumsden to try out Hauptwerk yet?
Adrian

jwillans

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi Simon,

Simon Bell wrote:I need to find a good subwoofer for use in my study. I'll be purchasing a Hi-fi amplifier and floorstanding speakers. To complement this, I've been recommended a Ruark Vita 50 to help with low pedal frequencies, but I don't think that they are made anymore. I'd be grateful of the advice of others about other Subwoofers and their effectiveness and value for money. My budget is not enormous...

I bought an MJ Acoustic Reference 100 (MK1) which is speced to go down to 13hz (although this might be pushing the boundaries of reality given the size of the drivers). Unfortunately I can't comment on this sub since I haven't got my system up and running, however I can recommend that you keep your eye on the speaker classified forum at the http://www.avforums.com since there is a good turn over of subs advertised there (audiophiles tend to upgrade to the latest and greatest fairly frequently). I think many of the Ruark speakers (including the Vita 50) were made by BJ Electronics (as I think are many of the MJ Acoustic models) and I think that the BJ's are considered excellent value for money.

Out of interest, what are you planning to use as your main speakers?

James

IanPounder

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 5:08 pm

I think many of the Ruark speakers (including the Vita 50) were made by BJ Electronics

I think you mean BK Electronics. I use a Ruark, and it's fine. The MJ Acoustic 50 is very similar. The cheapest new BK Electronics unit it around £200, and should be at least as good as the discontinued models. http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

toplayer2

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 pm

I recommend without reservation any of the DefTec Supercube models.

Joe

sipirc

PostMon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Likewise. They are active, powered, wouldn't take up half a room's space for the punch they pack, plus even the cat will appreciate beauty care on the shiny top (when the pedals have a rest)! :)

robinsmh

PostTue Oct 05, 2010 10:48 am

I use a REL Strata III - which in a smallish room can easily get down to 16Hz at a useful SPL for a 32' flue. These beasts come up on Ebay occasionally. Any of the other REL subs should also work well - not cheap though.

phillyorganist

PostWed Oct 06, 2010 6:41 am

Folks seem to consistently recommend the Definitive Technology Supercubes. Is there much difference between the III and the II, or for that matter the I, for a small home/room application?

I have a 16x12' room that adjoins a 12x8' hallway (one large L shaped loft on my 3d floor of a Philadelphia rowhouse). The Supercube III is the least expensive, and I've seen them on ebay used for a few hundred dollars. Does anyone have experience with the Supercube III, and does it pack the punch like the II and the I do?
Jim

counterpoint

PostWed Oct 06, 2010 7:33 pm

SVS PB13-Ultra
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

SVS has had a solid reputation in build quality and reliability. This will probably be the sub I am going to go with eventually unless something else comes along. You will probably get similar results out of this SVS compared to the Def Tech Trinity. The Trinity, however, would probably be the slightly better choice for Hauptwerk. On the other hand, you cannot tune the Trinity like you can with this SVS.

Epik also makes very nice subwoofers but unfortunately I do not have any knowledge regarding their new products.
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/products.html

If size is no object, also look at Elemental Designs. I have heard very good things about their subs.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41

Return to Amplification