It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans?

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

OAM

Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans?

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 am

I admire the painstaking work of publishing about 40 pieces in two days, but not everybody is a fan of such a TPO music and I don't like to scroll a lot up and down to find any other contributions.

Just my two cents
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

TheOrganDoc

Re: Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans?

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 am

Helmut,

"NOT" TPO FANS, :evil:

"Band Organ Fans" ! :roll:

("Carousel Organs :wink: " ?)

Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

OPUS1883

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am

i don't get this post... :? there is normally a struggle to find any TPO music... about time some more was published on the concert hall i think !

imcg110

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Hmmm........

Firstly - the fairground sound is not really my cup of tea. I don't think it brings out the best in a very expressive and musical instrument - but - the transcriptions do seem to work very well.

However - a torrent of similar recordings one after the other is a bit of overkill - irrespective of the genre.

I also still have mixed feelings about the ubiquity of MIDI recordings on contrebombarde. I have always thought of it as a showcase for musical talent. There are some who produce their own midi files (Mr Pressler comes to mind) that are of remarkable musical quality and show a real dedication to the interpretation of the music. There are others who download MIDI files from the internet - feed them through an organ and post, post, post. I really have little interest in these latter postings. As a musician I am interested in fellow musicians interpretation of music and interaction with a particular instrument, not in a mechanical reproduction of the notes. Contributors obviously have the option to tell us how they achieved their recording, but the origins of "MIDI" performances are rarely divulged. I personally see most of these postings as the "dead wood" of Contrebombarde.

I would offer a couple of suggestions to Darryl, Rob et al..

1. A daily limit to the number of posts allowed (4 or 5???)
2. In the upload page "performance" section, allow the choice of "Live", "MIDI - personally created", "MIDI - other source" so that we can differentiate a little between what is on offer.

kwsmith15

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Darryl, Rob,

Since we're on this topic, I would like to see the inventory searchable and sortable by any controlled attribute, so I could find all the recordings made on a specific organ, by a specific composer, etc.

And I very much agree re: the MIDI-sourcing of performances. At the very least, tag them clearly, and make searching "excluding MIDI performances by type" accessible. I must admit that I have essentially no interest in MIDI performances for the same reasons that imcg110 gave in his recent post for his "mixed feelings" about MIDI recordings..

If there's a way to do this already, please accept my apologies - but tell me how to do it, too.

Ken

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I agree with the prior notes about Midi driven performances, :roll:

with one exception, Hauptwerk V4.00 has been quoted as having built in Midi Recording capability,

and that HW4.00 will provide uniform Midi output that will not be dependent upon one's Midi Config.

So, thus produced Midi files would be playable on other folks Hauptwerk 4.00 setups

(utilizing the same sample set ?) ,

and that those that play far better than I,

"hopefully" will provide reproducible Midi files, that their fellow Hauptwerkians could play on their organs. :D

What say ? Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Fazioli

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm

HMaier wrote:I admire the painstaking work of publishing about 40 pieces in two days, but not everybody is a fan of such a TPO music and I don't like to scroll a lot up and down to find any other contributions.

Just my two cents

Dear Prof.

Those posting are from me I had a couple of hours time and this is what I did with it..
Hauptwerk is the most advanced virtual pipe organ on the market.
Theatre pipe organs and band or fair organs are also pipe organs and compared to the classical
organ postings its just a very small part of all the contrebombarde.com uploads.

btw the best Fair organs are from Your country brands like Ruth, Bruder, Wrede, Richter are great
names in the world of these automatic playing instruments (witch is a larger world as You may think).

Best regards.

Fazioli

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 pm

imcg110 wrote:Hmmm........

Firstly - the fairground sound is not really my cup of tea. I don't think it brings out the best in a very expressive and musical instrument - but - the transcriptions do seem to work very well.

However - a torrent of similar recordings one after the other is a bit of overkill - irrespective of the genre.

I also still have mixed feelings about the ubiquity of MIDI recordings on contrebombarde. I have always thought of it as a showcase for musical talent. There are some who produce their own midi files (Mr Pressler comes to mind) that are of remarkable musical quality and show a real dedication to the interpretation of the music. There are others who download MIDI files from the internet - feed them through an organ and post, post, post. I really have little interest in these latter postings. As a musician I am interested in fellow musicians interpretation of music and interaction with a particular instrument, not in a mechanical reproduction of the notes. Contributors obviously have the option to tell us how they achieved their recording, but the origins of "MIDI" performances are rarely divulged. I personally see most of these postings as the "dead wood" of Contrebombarde.

Maybe it was a little to much in a very short time but I think my postings are of a very high quality.
The right combination for Piano/Forte, was not easy to find and it needed some voicing as well.
The result is a very realistic sounding fair organ, in my opinion a great complement to Hauptwerk.

Indeed this are MIDI files (captured from real fair organ books), this music is impossible to play
by human in this way, and in another way it would not sound like a fair organ as it does now.
Fair organs are no chromatic instruments and to arrange music for them is a hell of a job.
I know someone who does this for living, he is the most musical man I know.

Best regards,

Roland

toplayer2

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Roland,

I happen to like what you have done. As Duke Ellington was reported to have said. "If it sounds good, then it is good". I'm no expert on mechanical musical instruments such as Fairground Organs, Band Organs, Orchestrions, and the like, but I have heard a few and was fascinated both by the sound and the obvious enginuity of their creators and those who programmed the music for them. One such experience for me was in the home of Jasper Sanfilippo.

I was surprised to hear the Paramount in this role, but to my untrained ear the result seems to closely match what I remember, and as I said, I like it.

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

kiwiplant

PostMon Oct 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Roland,

I really enjoyed hearing your fair organ recordings. Super voicing changes that you made too. Did you pattern the sound after specific organ in Maastricht ? What does it sound like if the trems are turned on? There is certain type of band organ flute that has a pretty wild and exciting trem.

It is great to hear all kinds of organ music with HW on contrebombarde. One thing I would love to hear more of on contrebombarde are more HW organs along with other real or virtual instruments playing any and every style of music. I wonder how many arrangers and orchestrators use HW organs for commercial projects like modern movies or sheet music demos.

Here is a short test recording I made a while back to try organ plus drums, piano, and bass. Prof. Maier sorry about another theatre organ and apology to anyone who knows if I'm on the wrong side of the clave.

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/2862

I would love to have made one with Trost plus some nice virtual trumpeters or string players but don't have appropriate sheet music here for that currently.

Paul

rumpus

PostTue Oct 12, 2010 2:01 am

Dear Prof Maier,
I think it is just unlucky timing that Fazioloi's flood appeared the day after your own fine J.S. Bach contribution. I'm sure I wouldn't like being pushed off the front page so comprehensively either.
As for me, I am happy to sample anyone's postings.
So thank you, and keep up the good work.

Fazioli

PostTue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 am

kiwiplant wrote:Roland,

I really enjoyed hearing your fair organ recordings. Super voicing changes that you made too. Did you pattern the sound after specific organ in Maastricht ? What does it sound like if the trems are turned on? There is certain type of band organ flute that has a pretty wild and exciting trem.

I tried to match the sound as close as possible to a Ruth fair organ with about 60 keys. My father build these kind of instruments so I heard them very often.
The organs with the tremolo (the so called Jazzflute) are Belgian dance organs like Mortier or De Cap, they are completly different than fair organs, with
other stops and much more percursion. But another Belgian organbuilder was Louis Hooghuys who build churchorgans in the first place, see link:

http://www.hooghuys.com/english/history/history.htm

Best regards,

Roland

James

PostTue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 am

While my main musical interest is baroque organ music, I also love band organs and their music. I have a Wurlitizer 165 roll frame with many 10 tune rolls from the beginning of the 20th century. I am setting it up to play the Paramount theater organ. I was amazed to hear what Roland has done. He has "tweaked" the organ combinations as the contributions have evolved, and the most current ones are truly representative of what one fan has called "the happiest music on earth." His skill has captured a sound and style in a way that no one else, to my knowledge, has done. He is to be applauded for his contribution to the possibilities of Hauptwerk.
James

Fazioli

PostTue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks Joe, Paul and James,

I love all kinds of organs. theatre, fair, modern church organs, historical church organs, concert organs...
as long as it has pipes. I went to the psychiatrist, but he couldn't help me because he noticed that I didn't really wanted him to help me.. :x

dwood

PostWed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

We will be making facilities to upload Hauptwerk MIDI files to Contrebombarde when HW4 is released.

We can also allow users to make a distinction between Live, MIDI files personally created, and other.

I don't know about the limiting of the number of uploads in a day. That seems contrary to the spirit of the site and the medium. However, maybe we could put in a theatre organ tab and a classical organ tab as well.

I will bring up the multiple search parameters with our programming team. I'll see how we can actually improve that.

Hopefully I didn't miss any of the suggestions.

As always, if you want to contact me directly, I'm at midisales at organworks.com
Next

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall