It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

A free contemporary enhancement to the Velesovo Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Morse

A free contemporary enhancement to the Velesovo Organ

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 8:52 am

Here is the screenshot for a new three manual extension of the Velesovo organ that I find useful. 3ManualScreenshot
This organ set has a typical contemporary disposition with expressive Swell and Choir divisions, two Celeste stops, lots of couplers, and a Crescendo pedal. In spite of that, it is still pure Velesovo, using only Velesovo samples that are somtimes loaded multiple times with appropriate custom voicing changes. It has a simple, readable layout with stops arranged in a predictable manner per AGO recommendations.

The ODF is formed in CODM with post-processing which adds the multiple releases and Crescendo pedal. It requires a prior installation of the full Velesovo sample set from Sonus Paradisi, but is otherwise free.

Here is the installation file. It has the surround configuration and requires about 10.3 GB to fully load at 16 bits.
Surround InstallationFile

The organ installs as organ number 800829 and will not interfere with the original two manual baroque installation.

The goal of this extended organ is an instrument comparable to a typical modern organ which is useful for more than just baroque music. The exclusive use of Velesovo samples should retain the clarity and acoustics of the original Velesovo organ.

If there is sufficient interest, I could derive a simplified version that is just wet, without the surround option. In the meantime, it can be used as a simple wet set by just loading the front samples, in which case only about 5.6GB RAM is required.
Last edited by Morse on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Al Morse

sonar11

Re: A free contemporary enhancement to the Velesovo Organ

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 am

That is extremely interesting... think I have very little excuse left not to purchase the full Velesovo sample.

www.orgeljournal.de

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 am

Morse wrote:The goal of this extended organ is an instrument comparable to a typical modern organ which is useful for more than just baroque music. The exclusive use of Velesovo samples should retain the clarity and acoustics of the original Velesovo organ.

Nice project! Thanks!
I would like to ask you if you could include the tracker, stop and blower noise? That would be great!

The Velesovo is my standard study organ.

Best regards,

Matthias

www.Orgeljournal.de
www.YouTube.com/Orgeljournal
www.YouTube.com/Reinoldiorgel

dhm

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 11:19 am

Wow! An hour ago I was playing the original Velesovo Wet. Now I have a whole 'nuther modern quasi-Romantic organ, with Celestes and a pretty good "Full Swell". Before I loaded it I was thinking "now, if only we had some divisional combs..." but Al has even given us those as well.

Thanks, Al!
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

sonar11

A little request...

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Would somebody be interested in making one or two smaller recordings featuring the new enhancements, and uploading to contrebombarde? Would love to hear what it sounds like.

Morse

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am

I have added Stop Action noises and a few more couplers. The extended organ is now at the limit of what I can load in surround sound with my 12GB system. So I am probably not going to make any more changes unless someone points out an error of some kind.
Here is the new screenshot of the current three manual extension of the Velesovo organ,
3ManualScreenshot
And the installation file which can be installed over the previous one.
Last edited by Morse on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Morse

sonar11

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Al... you mentioned that you're pushing close to 12 GB in surround sound mode; can I assume that if I'm running just a pair of stereo / front speakers, and if make sure that all surround stops are not loaded, that I could fit the sample in roughly 6 GB?

Morse

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm

I just loaded it without the rear samples. The actual memory used is:
Full Surround: 10,288,304
Front Only: 5,481,960
Al Morse

Gert

PostSat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 am

Hi Al,
Dick Sanderman, a professional organist wrote a review and recorded 14 (also 1 on your extension).
See http://www.pcorgan.com/SampleSets2007VelesovoEN.html (you can translate the review with google).
Your free extension is addressed.
Thanks!
Gert

pefeiusa

PostSun Dec 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi Al,
I am enjoying your Velesovo extension – excellent job, thanks a lot for providing this to the HW community!

I found a couple of missing notes that I wanted to feed back to you.
In the choir division, the following stops have missing f#3 and g3 notes:
Gedackt 8’, Principal 4’ and Octave 2’.
The Rohrfloete 4’ is missing notes g#2 – g3 and the Unda Maris 8’ is missing notes C to B, f#3 and g3.
In the great division, I think the Sesquialtera II sounds one octave too high and the g3 note is missing.

Thanks again for sharing your work with us!
Best regards
Peter

Morse

PostMon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your astute observations on my free extension to the Velesovo organ. I checked them out and you are correct on all points.

The missing f# and g were due to a careless error whereby some ranks were scored as 54 pipes instead of 56. Likewise, the Sesquialtera was carelessly set to 1-1/3 pitch rather than the correct 2-2/3 pitch.

The missing octaves are due to judgment calls by me, and perhaps I should change them. The Unda Maris is a celeste rank and I have usually seen these as Tenor C (T.C.), whereby the bottom octave is not present. I think this is usually done to save the expense of pipes and I'm not sure that there is any musical reason for it. The bottom octave doesn't cost us anything other than RAM, and unless someone can offer a musical reason to limit the Unda Maris to T.C. I will change it.

The Choir Rhorflote 4 is derived by loading a second copy of the HW-Rhorflote8 and offsetting the notes up an octave. This is not perfect, but is much better than a simple "borrowing" of the notes such as in a unitized organ. Since the Rhorflote8 rank has only 56 samples, a 4' version has no samples for it's upper octave. The Hauptwerk software can fill these in by repitching the samples, but this has the disadvantage of compressing the reverberation tails. I can let the software generate the upper octave but these would be the only notes in my version that are not faithful to the true acoustics of the Velesovo sample set. But perhaps it's better to have the upper octave present with compressed tails than missing altogether.

It will take some time for me to complete the corrections since I generate the organ using CODM and apply a lot of post processing extensions for the multiple releases and other things. I'll issue an updated version as soon as I can get to it.
Al Morse

pefeiusa

PostTue Dec 21, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Al,
thanks for your feedback - really no problem.

Take your time - your extension plays very well today and this set will become my preferred practice organ. :D
Have a great Holiday and a Healthy and Happy New Year!
Best regards
Peter

Morse

PostTue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Corrections have been made to the free Three Manual Contemporary Enhancement of the Velesovo Organ. Thank you Peter (pefeiusa) for finding several errors that I had missed.

Here is the new installation file. If you already have the first version installed, this will install as an upgrade to it. Otherwise it will be a fresh install.

I decided to make the Unda Maris play all the way down to 036-C since there is only one other 8' flue stop on the Choir. I'd still like to hear if anyone knows of a musical reason why celeste stops are usually based on Tenor C (T.C.)
Last edited by Morse on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Morse

cdekter

PostWed Dec 22, 2010 6:30 am

Morse wrote:I decided to make the Unda Maris play all the way down to 036-C since there is only one other 8' flue stop on the Choir. I'd still like to hear if anyone knows of a musical reason why celeste stops are usually based on Tenor C (T.C.)

My research says that this is mainly done for the sake of saving space/money. Since you wouldn't usually hear individual notes played in the bottom octave, it would be considered a good economy - 11 fewer pipes (and large ones at that) with very little effect on the overall sound of the rank. There are definitely examples of full-compass celestes out there.

Lougheed

PostWed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 am

Morse wrote:If there is sufficient interest, I could derive a simplified version that is just wet, without the surround option.

I'm interested! Thanks.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments