It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

CODM: Using an indicator Lamp to show MIDI Kbd activity

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

chetr@skybest.com

CODM: Using an indicator Lamp to show MIDI Kbd activity

PostMon Dec 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I have just completed a CODM definition to make the MW EMSkinner (MDA) be used a little more easily on a 2 manual console(Floating Choir). I have also includes several stops(mixtures & Celests) from the St George Casavant (Exemp. Organum). I'm now trying to pretty up the stop display.

I have seen several sample sets that use an indicator lamp to show activity from a MIDI keyboard on the Stop Page. Can this be done using CODM.

If so, how do you define the lamp(CustomControl?) and then how do you attach the the lamp to the kbd data stream

chet

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: CODM: Using an indicator Lamp to show MIDI Kbd activity

PostMon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello Chet,

You wouldn't be able to do this in the CODM since the keyboard settings are not as flexible as the full ODF format. In the full ODF you would need to define each MIDI key swtch individually then link those to an indicator lamp. This isn't possible in the CODM I'm afraid. You might have a try at editing the resulting CODM file after it has been loaded in Hauptwerk, but you would need to change how the keyboard settings work, probably not a very easy task if you haven't dealt with the full ODF format before.

Hauptwerk 4 will have its own native LED indicator lamps for MIDI input so you can determine what channel each keyboard is sending on, so if you plan to upgrade and can wait a bit you wouldn't need to worry about trying this on your own.

Here is the control panel which shows the MIDI input and output data:

Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

chetr@skybest.com

PostMon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Tnx Brett.

Do plan to upgrade. BTW -- CODM is a very fine way of "playing" with HW. Kudos to Martin and his team. I had a few false starts but once I got the knack, it came easy. After about 25 programming languages you find major similarities in each. Retired for quite a few years but still like the challenge..

Another question. Is there any way to speed up compilation of Display ONLY. I spent most of my time trying things to see the way they would look when compiled. Waiting for the compile to finish when it had to go through the whole compile sometimes took up to 15 minutes.(I7-250-8Gb-2.67GHz)

Couple of things that you might consider for future HW. If it is not possible to do the displays alone then having the feechur would save a lot of time for guys like me. A Display IDE for the GUI would be nice but that would be a career in itself.

The second thing would be a meaningful error listing. The numbers are not self evident but the verbiage attached was a big help. Still some debug time to dig out what was required.

The Eclipse HW-XML was a big help too. But you have to be careful about which version you are saving and where.

Regards and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year

chet

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 6:58 am

chetr@skybest.com wrote:Tnx Brett.

Another question. Is there any way to speed up compilation of Display ONLY. I spent most of my time trying things to see the way they would look when compiled. Waiting for the compile to finish when it had to go through the whole compile sometimes took up to 15 minutes.(I7-250-8Gb-2.67GHz)
chet

Hi Chet.

The easiest way to speed things up is to define a display only organ. You don't need any ranks or entries in the StopRank table to define an organ, albeit it will be a silent one. :)

Either just leave the Rank and StopRank tables out altogether, or if you prefer to define all of your tables for the CODM, then simply comment them out with the "<!-- -->" construct.

The CODM is very fast at loading images and once it has a defined cache, you can just configure to move the images around and not re-cache, which is even quicker.

Regards,

Alan.

chetr@skybest.com

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks Alan -- why didn't I think of that.. Guess I didn't know what had to be there to get by the checks..

chet

chetr@skybest.com

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Alan

Worked great and compiles in less than two seconds.

I had to allow the ones used directly Cymbalstern and Stop Noises. They had to be there because they are used in the Stop/Coupler definitions..I did comment them out. Only took a few minutes to find all the errors.

Sure makes life easier.

Thanks again and A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year

chet

mdyde

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Hello Chet,

Also, if you've already defined ranks then temporarily just disabling them all on the rank routing settings screen will usually allow the organ to load rapidly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

chetr@skybest.com wrote:Alan

Worked great and compiles in less than two seconds.

I had to allow the ones used directly Cymbalstern and Stop Noises. They had to be there because they are used in the Stop/Coupler definitions..I did comment them out. Only took a few minutes to find all the errors.

Sure makes life easier.

Thanks again and A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year

chet

Oops, sorry Chet, I forgot about noises. Yes, I have fallen foul of that myself, but it's no big deal as you get an error message and just need to fix the error.

Glad it worked for you. :D

Regards,

Alan.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Dec 28, 2010 7:49 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Chet,

Also, if you've already defined ranks then temporarily just disabling them all on the rank routing settings screen will usually allow the organ to load rapidly.

An extremely useful facility Martin.

I tend to develop a lot on my laptop and then transfer files to one or other PCs. To save constantly moving the license key around, even if I'm using our own Paramount (encrypted) samples, I just disable them loading and I can test ODFs.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

chetr@skybest.com

PostWed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Martin
Your method is much easier to set up but it takes a little longer to load. At about 80% the compiler slows down. Doesn't take too much longer so most likely I will use your method. Select all voices (Shift-Click ranks) and tell HW not to load ranks

regards

chet

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello Chet,

When you disable all ranks from loading the tremulant files are still actually loaded into memory, so that is most likely the reason for the slight extra time. This is how we test all of our graphic displays which saves having to create an entirely new ODF, so I think the slight extra time waiting for tremulants to load outweights having to create a new ODF.

You may even just want to try commenting out any tremulant references if you really need to save that additional time, but I wouldn't think that might be worth the effort for a few seconds of waiting each time.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

chetr@skybest.com

PostWed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks Brett.

I had already made up my mind to modify the Rank Routing info. Much less work and I wouldn't be messing around with the XML info. Anytime I start playing around with a table that large I can make an error and the time to fix it would take longer than the time I gained on the compile time.

Tnx for the info about the trem file load.

regards

chet

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)