It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

Changing Rank IDs

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

bcollins

Changing Rank IDs

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 3:21 am

I now have 16 Behringer B2031A so I'll be changing my audio outputs to one 4-speaker group and one 12-speaker group.
I've been putting off doing this because, at the same time I'd like to change the Rank IDs in the ODF to better control the cyclic nature of the ranks.
For example, with essentally only one output group for the manuals, as the ODF is now the Swell Diapason (rank ID 202) would be in the same speakers as the Great 1st Diapason (rank ID 102). I would prefer as many 8ft ranks to cycle through the speaker group as independently possible. Especially those that are ofter drawn together.

My question is this: Is there a way to transfer the existing voicing / regulation information - primarily individual pipe attenuation - for the new organ ODF. The thought of revoicing the whole organ pipe by pipe is scary. It took many many hours.

I assume the regulation info is stored somewhere in a XML file, and perhaps a simple search and replace procedure could make the process much less daunting?
Bob Collins

mdyde

Re: Changing Rank IDs

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 7:19 am

Hello Bob,

There's no native way to change rank/pipe/layer IDs in your ODF whilst preserving your voicing for those objects, so the only supported and recommended way to do it is to re-voice the affected ranks via the voicing screen - sorry.

Internally, Hauptwerk v3.30 currently stores the voicing in its organ configuration file by pipe-layer ID with layer ID being generated by the CODM as:

layer ID = CODM rank ID * 512 + pipe MIDI note number

The caveats are that:

- The organ configuration file is an internal file that isn't intended to be user-editable.
- Hence it's format might change between any versions, even patches, or the data might even more to different files.
- Its format has no public documentation.
- Attempting to edit it is entirely at your own risk and not supported in any way.
- Making a mistake while trying to edit it manually could prevent the organ loading or lose all of your settings and voicing.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

toplayer2

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 am

Martin,

You may already have it logged as a future enhancement, but if not please consider adding the ability to re-assign rank IDs (or indirect pseudonyms or some other method) so that the user can assign the order in which ranks are loaded and thereby control which audio channels handle those ranks. The octaves and ranks cycled algorithm is a very, very attractive feature, but as Bob suggests, it is highly desirable to keep ranks with similar harmonic content segregated.

Thanks,
Joe Hardy

mdyde

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello Joe,

Yes - we do already have logged as an enhancement request that Hauptwerk could have a user option to assign the speaker/channel on which each rank starts for cyclic algorithms (actually I think both you and Bob have requested it previously). I'll add your notes from this post to that request.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

toplayer2

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank you, Martin. Sorry for the redundancy. :)

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)