It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

St. Anne's in HW4

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

JohnHackett

St. Anne's in HW4

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 am

I've spent most of this morning playing with the evaluation copy of HW4 (I'll be upgrading, put it that way!)

The biggest change for me is in the sound of St. Anne's. I never got on with it in the old incarnation but now, it sounds fabulous. The original instrument clearly has a distinctive "chiffy" sound and that comes across so much more now. It is really like being there with the real living breathing instrument and I am staggered at how much better it is now.

Has anyone ever heard or played the real instrument and what do you think of the resampled version?

amateurorganist

Re: St. Anne's in HW4

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 am

I agree. This set is really lovely. I was going through the notes on the mixture stops. When you press a key the individual notes of the mixture don't all play exactly at the same time. Playing the lowest octave of the 16ft pedal stops, you can hear the unsteadiness of the wind when the pipe first plays then the fluctuations of the sounds when the note is sustained. These subtle nuances retains the organ's original character.

ajt

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 am

JohnHackett wrote:Has anyone ever heard or played the real instrument and what do you think of the resampled version?

I'm going to install the new one later today (assuming I can ever get the download to complete; between my 4 year old and I we keep shutting my laptop by mistake) and have a go. I play a 3m Brindley & Foster quite regularly, and its a fine instrument with very odd console aids that take some getting used to. I never thought the early incarnation of St. Anne's compared, so I'll be very interested and will report back.
Adrian

cdekter

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 am

I just spent an hour or two practising a piece on the new St Anne (which I'll hopefully publish on Contrebombarde tomorrow if I get my license update file!).

As English organs go, the voicing of the St Anne organ is not really to my taste. The organ seems to have been voiced on quite low wind and the harmonic development of various stops (e.g. the Gt Large Open 8') is not that great. Having said that, the new version is a quantum leap over the old one. All the subtle nuances of individual pipe speech, the acoustic and amazingly the action noises are all there clear as day. When you get it going with the full chorus on both manuals, it sounds very full and lifelike and I found time getting away from me as I played and played.

To be precise, I think the guys have done a superb job of providing an excellent default sample set to show off Hauptwerk's capabilities. It's just a bit of a pity that the instrument of choice is a fairly average one.

virtual-pipes

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm

No doubt, the St. Annes sample set is vastly improved. Much brighter and articulate. And the annoying "Banjo" sound is gone on repeated notes.
Questions:
I have a CODM instrument developed on HW v.3.30 that includes some stops from the St. Annes sample set. Will there be a problems with those samples relating to the CODM when I upgrade to V 4.0?
Are the older samples over written during the upgrade?
Where ever you go in this world, there is always somebody in the way..............

ldeutsch

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Your "compiled" ODM will likely still work, but your CODM file will have to be updated if you want to make changes.

I use the St. Annes samples in my "Composite 3-Manual English Organ". The samples have moved to a new folder in HW4. The samples themselves now sit in 000010 and the tremulant samples are in 000001. You will have to modify your CODM file to find the correct folders. In addition, be sure to include the multiple releases - now support in the CODM. This makes a huge difference - and is responsible for removing the banjo sound (though I also like banjos!). You are welcome to examine the CODM for my organ to see how all this is done. You can find it at

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Composite_3-Manual_English_Organ_HW4.html

Les

ajt

PostThu Apr 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I've had a play with it this afternoon, and it sounds quite characteristically B&F, certainly very similar to the 3m instrument here in Lymington, though I would say it is tonally brighter; whether that's the samples or just the instrument, who can say. It's certainly a quantum leap over the old St. Anne's set.
Adrian

mdyde

PostFri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 am

Hello virtual-pipes,

I have a CODM instrument developed on HW v.3.30 that includes some stops from the St. Annes sample set. Will there be a problems with those samples relating to the CODM when I upgrade to V 4.0?
Are the older samples over written during the upgrade?

The old St. Anne's (package ID 000002) is uninstalled during the v4 upgrade and the new St. Anne's (package ID 000010) is installed. You can either update your existing CODM ODF to use the new St. Anne's as Les described (recommended for best results, since the new St. Anne's is so much better) or you can download the old St. Anne's if you want to keep using that. If you load an existing ODF that refers to the old St. Anne's then Hauptwerk will prompt you with a download link for it. (See also covered in the v4 release notice.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JohnHackett

PostFri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm

The full chorus with all the octave couplers sounds quite big and grand for a comparatively small instrument. It is a testament to the quality of the recording that it is so immersive and beautiful to play.

Martin - what is the instrument like in real life in the context of the building it is in? Some have called it "average" - what's your opinion?

mdyde

PostFri May 13, 2011 3:48 pm

I like it (but then I'm biased!). It isn't a world-class Willis, Cavaille-Coll or Silbermann organ, but I think it's a good example of a nice English parish church organ that fits the size and acoustic of the building well, has some really nice ranks (I particularly like its Great diapason chorus), and is pretty flexible for its size and genre. I think Brett did a great job of the new sample set of it too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri May 13, 2011 4:15 pm

I think Brett did a great job of the new sample set of it too.

He gets paid to say that. :mrgreen:

The full chorus with all the octave couplers sounds quite big and grand for a comparatively small instrument. It is a testament to the quality of the recording that it is so immersive and beautiful to play.

Thanks. I had to do a *lot* of finessing with tuning, scaling, balancing etc. to get it to sound like it should. The real organ unfortunately doesn't have much work done to it on a monthly or perhaps even yearly basis as far as I am aware (and was horribly out of tune when I arrived to record it).

I scaled and balanced the organ the way I felt it should sound which helps bring the illusion of a much larger organ when tutti is being played. It's all in the little details. :)

Glad you are enjoying the "new" instrument.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to General discussion