It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

Theatre Pierre?

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

Neil Odlin

Theatre Pierre?

PostWed May 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Where have Pierre Fracalanza's recordings gone? I can't see them on CB.

kiwiplant

Re: Theatre Pierre?

PostWed May 25, 2011 4:15 pm

all the youtube videos are also gone.

Neil Odlin

PostWed May 25, 2011 4:24 pm

:-(

Fazioli

PostWed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Indeed :( and why?

Theatre Pierre

PostThu May 26, 2011 5:47 am

Hey brethren... I am doing well. I just put my music in "storage" for safe-keeping until I decide where I'd like to host it. I've been feeling a bit uncomfortable that I'm exceeding the boundaries of what the Contrebombarde should be showcasing. While I have made every effort to present music played solely from a Hauptwerk console, it features non-Hauptwerk samples (of late). That also puts a creative box around what I might do in the future.
I am awe-struck by the talent on the Contrebombarde and the variety of material presented. But it may be time for me to exhibit my work on my own website.
The Contrebombarde represents a myriad of styles and varying degrees of ability. I applaud everything it stands for. But it is also the nature of Theatre Organ that one must spend hours conceiving, executing and recording an arrangement if it is to be truly original. Thus, I'm not always pleased that my selection (which took me between eight and sixteen hours to produce) might be placed alongside a selection that took longer to upload than to prepare! I don't advocate changes to the Contrebombarde, however.
Many of my selections are still available for download and listening at Paramount Organ Works. And I promise an "online" presence in the next few weeks.
Pierre

dwood

PostThu May 26, 2011 11:49 am

Hey Pierre,

Thanks for having contributed to Contrebombarde. I'm sorry you feel you need to withdraw your material.

I think you'll find that there are ways that CB and your personal site can work together. I know of no organ website that gets as much traffic as Contrebombarde. Use it to link to your personal site from the player page. It would be tough to get that kind of exposure on your own page.

As long as you are using both Hauptwerk and other samples in the same piece, they're totally welcome on Contrebombarde. I have been advocating for this for a long time. People need to know how versatile the organ is as an instrument and that it can now be used in contexts that it could never have been used in in the past.

Regardless, of what you think of the quality of the other content on Contrebombarde, I would argue this a couple of ways:

1) The reason the industry is in decline is because people don't share access the best performances, instruments, or people. The organ, and classical music end of things in general, have been so exclusive, so, that they have almost made themselves extinct.

Here's the historical progression: many churches have restricted people from access great instruments which led to less people discovering and playing. This, in turn, led to less people taking up the instrument and less people who become great players. Less great players means less great music that inspires the people who pay for these great instruments. Less great instruments means more crappy instruments which don't inspire anyone. Who is then going to pay several million dollars for an instrument that they think sounds like crap? Then the cycle starts all over again.

So, get the best you have out there for all to see, hear, and be inspired by.

2) Hauptwerk has proven the merits of getting everyone involved in playing; the good and the bad. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly for a while until you get good at it.

I appreciate all the people who have the courage to upload their work. They're putting themselves out for everyone to see. Thank you to all of you who contribute and, in doing so, give others permission and courage to pick up the instrument again.

Some of the great players take the time to help those people improve. Some say nothing about the content and politely go on their way and produce great stuff that they upload.

Bottom line is that Hauptwerk has allowed everyone to get on board. I liken it to the printing press of the organ world. Now everyone has access. Look at the explosion of knowledge that happened after the press was invented.

It's going to enliven the entire industry and allow the magic of the pipe organ to crawl out of obscurity. It's going to grow the number of overall players, and, by extension, the number of truly great players. It's also going to grow the number of enthusiasts that pay for the privilege of playing on truly great instruments.

Right now, Contrebombarde is a hub for getting the word out about Hauptwerk and getting people inspired to play again.

I would like to see you be part of that renaissance Pierre. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

dwood

PostThu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

BTW, if you want help with cross promoting your stuff using Contrebombarde.com, don't hesitate to ask. Happy to help.

Email is best. midisales at organworks.com

Darryl

Fazioli

PostThu May 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Hear, Hear!

Theatre Pierre

PostThu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank you, Darryl. You couldn't have made me feel any more welcome. And you have especially eased my apprehension about utilizing piano samples from a non-Hauptwerk source. It's no secret that we theatre organists are somewhat of a minority in Contrebombarde-land and I was a bit nervous about treading outside the normal path.
Many thanks for your suggestions. It really was time for me to experiment with my own website so I shall endeavor to contribute to both with the hopes that they will mutually benefit.
Again, many thanks.

Pierre

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall