It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostThu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 am

Would it be possible to select a group of LP buttons to become pistons? Then they could light up bright so you would have lighted pistons. I can envision two rows of buttons, 1-10, then pp mp mf f ff plus Cancel programmed in a lighted piston toggle fashion. That would really be awesome. For 15 Combinations and a Cancel, it would still be the correct number of buttons.

George (G3)

Hello George,

You can already assign the Launchpad buttons to pistons (and/or control panel buttons) - just right-click on them and auto-detect and Hauptwerk will let you pick the LED colour as normal.

If the virtual piston/button is latching/lighted then the Launchpad button will brighten/dim accordingly, otherwise (if the virtual piston/button is instantaneous) the Launchpad button will remain in the lit in the dimmed state (but still showing the chosen colour).

E.g. try it with some of the master generals (which are latching) and master scoped pistons (which are instantaneous) on the Registration large control panel to see how it works.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

G3

PostThu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Martin,

Thank you. My HW4 reading is sorely in need of time to apply to the documentation. This opens even more doors for the Launchpad. I ordered 2 more today and will then have four. I will do away with the touch screens.

There's so much this upgrade can do. With all the Combination slots, the sky is the limit and I haven't yet explored the Stepper function!

Thanks again!

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

mdyde

PostFri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 am

Thanks, George.

Glad you like it!
Best regards, Martin.

AEK

PostFri Jun 17, 2011 6:52 am

Really - have a great future Launchpad. Low bow to you, Martin, for that "screwed" Launchpad to HW! :D

mdyde

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 8:42 am

In response to an email from Paul Hodges on the subject (to keep the discussion in one place):

Thanks Martin. Brett sent me the same over the weekend :-) Thanks for
a remarkably smooth and effective implementation!

Just a couple of remarks from starting out with it:

I find the amber colour that you added late on to be quite unusable.

Also, in my room's lighting at least, even the distinction between
bright and dim is not as clear as it might be. I know this is limited
by the hardware, but I did idly start wondering about the possibility
of an alternative scheme to enable using just four colours as two
on/off pairs say orange/red and yellow/green. However, I couldn't
think of a way to add that easily without hugely disrupting what you've
already done...

Internally, the physical Launchpad buttons have two-colour LEDs within them (green and red), with three brightness levels allowed for each.

As I mentioned previously, the orange, amber and yellow are necessarily all fairly similar (different ratios of red-to-green, being a limitation of the hardware), but I felt they were just different enough to be useful, to my eyes at least.

The colours that give the maximum physical differences in brightness between the dim and bright states are 'red' (R=1,R=3), 'green' (G=1,G=3) and 'amber' (R&G=1,R&G=3), so sticking to using just those three colours should in theory give the most visible difference between the on/off states and colours, although of course it might depend on your eyesight and the lighting conditions in your organ room.

If you use just those three colours, do you find the results clear enough to be useful? (I find those colours to be very clearly different and to show the differences between dim/bright very clearly.)

but I did idly start wondering about the possibility
of an alternative scheme to enable using just four colours as two
on/off pairs say orange/red and yellow/green.

Given that the Launchpad only supports three basic colours (red, green, amber), I would have thought that might not help much, in that your proposed 'off' colourse (orange, yellow) might still be perceived as rather similar, or at least no less similar than using only the existing main three colours (red, green, amber)?
Best regards, Martin.

pwhodges

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 am

I find four colours: green/yellow/orange/red to be sufficiently clear to me, but the amber just not sufficiently distinct from the adjacent colours to be used with either. But if I understand how it works correctly, yellow and orange have less brightness difference - I shall check these things out this evening.

My alternative suggestion is a bit half-baked, and subject to experiment; another scheme might be: dim yellow / bright green and dim red / bright orange. I think my idea was more to allow a selection from the full range of colours for each state (maybe as two dropdowns rather than yet more radio buttons!); but unless other people like the idea I certainly won't push for it, not least as a mere two options is probably too limiting anyway.

Paul

mdyde

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks, Paul.

I think I'd prefer not to go to the lengths of having separate options for the on and off states, since it might make it less convenient and understandable to configure, but we could perhaps consider adding two predefined colour pairs (e.g. dim yellow / bright green and dim red / bright orange) as additional options alongside the existing colour options.

Please let us know if you think that would be significantly better than the existing main colours (red, green, amber), and which particular colour pairs you would find best if so. (Having had a quick look, I think that dim yellow and bright green are perhaps quite similar, so maybe not the best choices.)
Best regards, Martin.

AEK

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 2:04 pm

So when will the long-awaited Update 4.01 ... Rather would have been! :D

G3

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

I've been working with inkjet transparencies and have come up with this:

My color coding is:
Amber - Principals
Red - Reeds
Flutes - Green
Percussion - Orange
Strings - Yellow
Couplers and others - whatever looks good.

I'm using two very small pieces of thin velcro to keep them from sliding, but they don't slide too much without the velcro, unless you slide your finger across the transparency.
I scanned an actual Launchpad to get the sizing correct and did the work in Photoshop.

Here are some links to photos:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010037.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010038.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010039.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010040.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010041.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2078989/Launchpad%20Photos/P1010042.JPG

I hope these links work.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

pwhodges

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm

mdyde wrote:we could perhaps consider adding two predefined colour pairs (e.g. dim yellow / bright green and dim red / bright orange) as additional options alongside the existing colour options.

Don't bother. I've been playing, and working out what's going on. I presume the encoding of the colours is something like this (where n/m n/m = R/G brightnesses for dim and bright):
Code: Select all
Red      1/0  3/0
Amber    1/1  3/3
Green    0/1  0/3
Orange   2/1  3/2  (or 3/1?)
Yellow   1/2  2/3  (or 1/3?)

This shows me that using Red, Amber and Green gives a greater brightness contrast than Orange and Yellow, which is what most of my buttons are! Also that the only viable way to do my scheme would be:
Reddish   1/0  3/1
Greenish  0/1  1/3

which would slightly increase the brightness contrast, while reducing the bright colour contrast between the two options. Frankly, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it.

Sorry for the diversion. I'll be better off just using Red, Amber and Green, I think.

Paul

mdyde

PostTue Jun 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks, Paul.

Red      1/0  3/0
Amber    1/1  3/3
Green    0/1  0/3
Orange   2/1  3/2  (or 3/1?)
Yellow   1/2  2/3  (or 1/3?)

Yes - those are the brightness values used currently.
Best regards, Martin.

Sander

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm

This is great. I have been using the Launchpad for two months now and found it really easy to change stops with Launchpad (instead of the mouse I had used before with some high keys as pistons). There where just three little problems: I couldn't get the 2nd launchpad to display colors (somehow upgrading to Launch Server pro didn't work), there was only one color, and I didn't know how to get feedback so the lights would lit if you hit a predefined combination. All three problems are solved with this implementation. Great work again Martin!

mdyde

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks, Sander.

Glad you like it.
Best regards, Martin.

peterorg

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 am

Hi Martin,

"Assuming my assumptions prove to be correct, I hope to be able to get a temporary build to you all in the next day or two with the new Launchpad support.
Many thanks.
Best regards,
Martin."

I have just ordered a Launchpad and wonder if you would be able to send me this temporary build, please, so that I can get the Launchpad up and running.

Very many thanks,

Peter

mdyde

PostThu Aug 11, 2011 4:37 am

Hello Peter,

No problem. I've sent the relevant build to you by email.
Best regards, Martin.
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support