It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

iPad owners - TouchOSC

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

timhowarduk

iPad owners - TouchOSC

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Don't think this has been mentioned on here before.

Requirements - HW computer connected to network which has wifi, iPad, a bit of time to fiddle

There's an app in the iPad appstore called TouchOSC. It is basically a similar concept to the Novation Launchpad in that it send MIDI data based on what you press, in this case wirelessly to your HW computer using the built in Apple Network Midi driver. The manual says there is a windows driver too (untested)

There is an accompanying program for OSX or Windows which is an editor to allow you to create your own layouts of switches, faders, LEDs etc.

With a bit of effort one can create a layout with coloured toggle buttons for stops, and combinations, and lay them out as you wish, in my case mimicing the stops on a console with a load of general pistons in the middle. The designer software makes it very easy to send the layout to the iPad. Then the last step is setting up the Network midi driver and programming HW (using auto-detect) to respond to the MIDI messages it sends. The nice thing is that HW can also illuminate the buttons in TouchOSC on the iPad, and if you use the Master general pistons it will illuminate the last one you pressed. (I haven't got reversible pistons working yet before someone asks!)

If you know a tiny bit about MIDI and want to use the iPad as a Hauptwerk controller this is worth a try. I have done an a TouchOSC layout for the Haverhill mini console and after a while stopped looking at the real HW screen as I grew to trust the iPad, and having never had a touchscreen quite enjoyed this!

Here's a link to the website http://hexler.net/

Tim

MattOlieman

Re: iPad owners - TouchOSC

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 5:22 am

Tim, thanks for the information. I've wondered if there was anything available for the iPad, to be used in conjunction with HW. Now I know. :)

I would love to hear from others using the iPad with HW.

Tim, are you using iPad 1 or 2?

mdyde

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 am

(Topic moved here.)

Thanks for the info.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

timhowarduk

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 7:31 am

MattOlieman wrote:Tim, are you using iPad 1 or 2?

I have an iPad1 (I waited for the iPad2 to arrive before the iPad1 became affordable!)

What is also interresting is that the software seems to be available for android tablets too, which are a lot cheaper.

A more technical note about the midi implementation....I struggled getting the buttons to send program changes as they seemed to send 5 or 6 midi messages per button press, including some duplicates between different buttons. As I favour a simple life where possible I ended up using note messages on channel 16 instead. Control changes on channel 16 also worked for me.

Tim

polikimre

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Does it support multitouch and sweeping?

timhowarduk

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 5:08 pm

polikimre wrote:Does it support multitouch and sweeping?

Yes, I can select / deselect several stops simultaneously. I don't have any faders on my layout, but I can sweep faders on the "Mix 2" layout supplied with it. I think I read that the Android version is not yet able to do multi-touch, but don't quote me.

Tim

G3

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm

An iPad app called MidiTouch also works well for stops and pistons.

I also use forScore on the iPad to read the music. I play a lot of theatre organ and use lead sheets to play with. It works perfect. It supports D.S.es and D.C.s very nicely. Page turning can be done via Bluetooth. I use a knee switch under the bottom keyboard and hit it with my knee when i want to turn a page. The iPad is so versatile that a couple of them could do many things. They also have an app that acts as a second monitor to your main PC or Mac. How cool is that?

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

Marco

PostWed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

thanks for mentioning TouchOSC, never heard about it before. I have done some googling and I was wondering if you are using it directly via coremidi or if you're also running osculator, also, are you using this against HW stand-alone or against HW hosted somewhere else? (say, cubase or reaper)

pmo1969

PostWed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

I've been using iTeleport as a touchscreen accessing my Mac Mini server desktop..... Loving it.... It works very well.

Paul :))))))

MattOlieman

PostThu Jul 07, 2011 5:33 am

Because of this thread, I finally took the plunge and got an iPad. I love it :)

@timhowarduk or any one else using TouchOSC, would you please expand upon how your using TouchOSC, perhaps how you set it up, or an example.

Matt O.

engrssc

PostThu Jul 07, 2011 9:12 pm

timhowarduk wrote:The nice thing is that HW can also illuminate the buttons in TouchOSC on the iPad, and if you use the Master general pistons it will illuminate the last one you pressed.

Just curious, is that process a product of H/W or TouchOSC. Assume H/W? If so, how do you achieve signal feedback from H/W to the iPad?

Rgds,
Ed

Marco

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 pm

After some experimentation I have to say TouchOSC is a really really cool program, I have created a layout corresponding to the Casavant organ by Exemplum Organum (thanks Ken for being ok with me sharing my efforts with the board)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11042821@N00/5953445348/

and it works very very well, after "learning" all the controls from Hauptwerk I can control things from the ipad exactly the same way as I could clicking the mouse on the Hauptwerk layout page

http://organsamples.com/StopsScreenshot.jpg

including the swell controls and the crescendo (the only thing I couldn't get was the crescendo number). It was quite easy to set up, the main effort was in creating the screen, besides that I set every control to be an 'x' button or toggle button in the TouchOSC editor with a relevant program change like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11042821@N00/5953480090/

and once everything was set up and the iPad was joined in the "networked midi session" as described here

http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-setup-coremidi-network

I could just "learn" all the stops/buttons in Hauptwerk and everything worked as expected

G3

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am

Marco,

Very, very impressive. I think I will have to investigate this app. Thanks for the update.

George (G3)

G3

PostTue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Marco,

I'm working with TouchOSC and have two questions so far:

1. When using the editor on my iMac, when I click the grid button, nothing happens. Do you know why? A visible grid would be very helpful.

2. How do you name the pages so you can see them when running the program? The LogicPad example has five pages and they all have names like Mixer, Channel Strip, etc.
I can't figure out how to do that. When I type in a page name to the left of the window in the editor, it never shows up on the iPad.

Any help would be appreciated. The hexer web site has to "contact" via email link.

Thanks,
George (G3)

Marco

PostWed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 am

Hey George

1. The grid is not visible, but if it's active when you are moving things around they "snap" to the grid lines.

2. You can right click towards the top where the (i) is and select "add a page" to add a new page, I think renaming works but I am not 100% sure.

Cheers!

Marco
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing