It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

Uncompressing ODF Questions+

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

Uncompressing ODF Questions+

PostSat Oct 01, 2011 4:54 pm

If one uses one of the four HW shortcut versions to uncompress an odf as indicated in an older post, does it do so only within the selected HW instance, or is it done globally?

Does this decompression reveal all the CODM tables, used or unused?

Finally, but somewhat unrelated, is it simpler to strip out un-needed features from a CODM, or cut and paste needed items to a new CODM?

I'm completely new to this and after a number of hours of study within the CODM documentation i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the apparent complexity....Forgive me if these are foolish questions.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Uncompressing ODF Questions+

PostSat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello Doug,

If one uses one of the four HW shortcut versions to uncompress an odf as indicated in an older post, does it do so only within the selected HW instance, or is it done globally?

It is stored separately for each configuration, however the resulting ODFs are stored in a single folder (either the CustomOrganDefinitions folder or the OrganDefnitions folder) so each time you load the same organ but change the setting in a different configuration it will change the ODF. For simplicity I would just leave the auto-compacting turned of while working on files, it just makes things simpler all around. It may take slightly longer to load the file, but being that you're working on creating files in the long run I feel it's quicker to do this rather than go back and forth between compacting and un-compacting the files.

Auto-compacting for organ configuration settings are stored separately for each instance, but the combination sets will share the same folders (similar to the ODFs). However you shouldn't need to be editing these files directly anyway, so just leave them left to auto-compacting.

It will show all tables that were originally included in the ODF.

Finally, but somewhat unrelated, is it simpler to strip out un-needed features from a CODM, or cut and paste needed items to a new CODM?

That is up to you really. At first I would suggest removing unneeded options from an existing CODM file (one at a time) and modifying the rest to suit. Then once you become more familiar you can always try cutting and pasting the items you need into a new CODM file.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

PostSun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 am

Just to add one point to Brett's reply:

CODM organ definitions, which are found in:

[Hauptwerk installation folder]/HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions

... are never compressed anyway. They're the only type of ODFs you need to look at for using the CODM, so the XML compression options in Hauptwerk aren't usually relevant if you're just using the CODM. (Only full-format ODFs, which are extremely complex and not designed for end-user edit-ability, are subject to XML compression, and you wouldn't normally need to look at those.)

Hence make sure you're looking at the correct folder for your CODM ODFs and then you shouldn't need to worry about XML compression. Likewise, make sure you're looking at the CODM user guide, which covers the CODM ODF format and is on the Help menu in Hauptwerk, rather than the (large and complex) sample set creators' guide (which covers the 'full' non-CODM ODF format and is intended for sample set producers, sent on request only).

The example CODM ODFs included with Hauptwerk (in the folder mentioned above) include data in all tables to illustrate how to use them, with the exception of the ExternalRank table (which would only normally used if you're using the CODM to build a virtual relay to control real external pipework).

I'd suggest starting with ExampleCustomOrgan1.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml, since it's small and simple. Try doing a few things one-by-one as a learning aid, getting each one working before moving on to the next. E.g:

- Remove a stop,
- Add another derived from one of the existing ranks,
- Add a division,
- Add some couplers,
- Add a new rank and some stops that use it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Morse

PostSun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 am

I noticed in Brett's reply he recommended leaving auto-compacting on for combination sets. I not sure anyone cares, but apparently it doesn't matter if the auto-compacting combination set box is checked or not. They are always compacted, and I have never seen any way to un-compact them.
Al Morse

mdyde

PostSun Oct 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Hello Al,

I noticed in Brett's reply he recommended leaving auto-compacting on for combination sets. I not sure anyone cares, but apparently it doesn't matter if the auto-compacting combination set box is checked or not. They are always compacted, and I have never seen any way to un-compact them.

I've had a look into that it does appear to be a minor bug, which has existed since auto-compacting was introduced (in v3.10, if I recall correctly).

I've logged it as a bug and we'll aim to address it for v4.0.1.
Best regards, Martin.

Morse

PostSun Oct 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello Martin,

I would call it a very, very minor bug and I really would be surprised if anyone cared. It may be that I am the only person who has ever wanted to actually read the combination files. I read the files for my utilities that make printouts of the combination settings, and the format is so trivial that I have no trouble working with the compacted versions.
Al Morse

mdyde

PostSun Oct 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks, Al.

I read the files for my utilities that make printouts of the combination settings

We're aiming to add a function natively in Hauptwerk v4.0.1 for that anyway, so that might make it an even more minor bug!
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Oct 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Hello again Al,

Just a quick note to say that we've now fixed that bug and the fix will be included in the forthcoming v4.0.1.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)