It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

*** NOOB Warning *** Attempting CODM - First Post

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

RWAbacus

Re: *** NOOB Warning *** Attempting CODM - First Post

PostMon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

Summary: there is no user setting for rank output key-shift, so if you want to use more than one rank per decoder then you would be restricted to using only your own custom CODM organ definitions, since only within the CODM can specify such a key-shift. Hence my recommendation would probably be only to have one rank per decoder.

OK ... that answers that question - I'll have each physical pipe rank to have its own MIDI pipe driver board.

Since I'm having many real pipes co-exist with (purchased) sample sets, I'm going to have to do my own CODM organ definition for each virtual/real combination anyway (building a unique GUI for each). Are you saying that if I don't have my own CODM then there is no pipe offset start option, but if I do have my own CODM then I do have that option?

mdyde

PostMon Aug 08, 2011 11:32 am

Hello RWAbacus,

Are you saying that if I don't have my own CODM then there is no pipe offset start option, but if I do have my own CODM then I do have that option?

That's correct. You would use the following attributes within a CODM definition to specify key-shifts at the rank level:

- StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys
- StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey
- StopRank.MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank
- Rank.NumberOfPipes
- Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostMon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

RWAbacus wrote:Principally, each rank of pipes is connected together on one side of the direct pallet magnet and that common-wired line was left floating - neither grounded or at any electrical state. When a stop is activated - say an 8' oboe, the stop drawknow causes that common side to be grounded using one relay. Then +15VDC is applied to the other side of the magnet via the keys; this would be the place where MIDI negative common pipe driver boards would be connected - supplying +15VDC to individual pipes.

I've tried & verified this by manually applying these voltages to the required places and the pipes do sound as predicted.

So why not duplicate this arrangement (meaning you only need one decoder output per key) rather than abandon it and require one decoder output per pipe?

Admittedly, using the existing method would require MIDI decoders with outputs capable of driving multiple pallet magnets, but I would have thought
it would be more conventional, logically simpler, involve half the wiring and be a lot cheaper.

Nick

RWAbacus

PostMon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

That's correct. You would use the following attributes within a CODM definition to specify key-shifts at the rank level:

- StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys
- StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey
- StopRank.MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank
- Rank.NumberOfPipes
- Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe

OK ... I know enough of the CODM manual already that that code both makes sense and is relatively easily to follow ... I'm FINALLY DONE mapping of MIDI driver boards.

and then I read the subsequent post from NickNelson ... and all my preconceived ideas, thoughts and final plans ground to an abrupt halt - a truly ah-hah moment!

So why not duplicate this arrangement (meaning you only need one decoder output per key) rather than abandon it and require one decoder output per pipe?

Admittedly, using the existing method would require MIDI decoders with outputs capable of driving multiple pallet magnets, but I would have thought it would be more conventional, logically simpler, involve half the wiring and be a lot cheaper.

I never even remotely had this thought. So, by this theory, you would connect and power +15VDC all 8' "C" pipes when middle "C" is played on a keyboard, but the connection would not be completed - and no pipe would sound - until the correct rank is grounded whereupon only that pipe would sound. OK ... that sounds OK. Now if that key (middle "C") is down while you draw a 4' stop, that 4' rank common would go to ground and both pitches would sound and the events seem to be mutually exclusive. Since these pallet magnets seem to have nominally 35 to 50 ohms each, not that much current is drawn even if all possible notes were sounded at once. I'll do the math using Ohm's law in a few minutes.

I'm going away to think about this ... there will be problems with some mutation stops (?) ... what about couplers (I sense impending doom with this item) and, most of all, would it be a problem for Hauptwerk?

MANY thanks for stating the obvious. It will cut the number of MIDI boards at least in 1/2 and greatly simplify the wiring.

GOING AWAY TO THINK of flaws.

THANK YOU, NickNelson!

RWAbacus

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 am

Further to my ah-hah moment yesterday ...

Using coupler code, say code 1111. Manual2 to Manual1 8ft - and playing real external ranks (as well as virtual ones), would the proper midi codes for the external ranks be sent to manual2 as if these keys were physically played on manual2 as well as manual 1?

Further, if I properly used code 10011. Couplers: custom coupler 2 to manual 1, I could even define mutation pitches - again for external real pipes?

The way I read the CODM manual, it seems like this would happen, and if this is the case, then the MIDI pipe drivers are incredibly easier to implement on our pipe organ - and with 1/4 of the original number of MIDI pipe drivers (albeit each with higher current capacity). Hauptwerk would do all the bizarre switching. I can't believe how 'easy' this would be for the electrical part! It's just a simple matrix configuration.

Simply have each of 61-note keys of each of 3 manuals and 32-note pedalboard provide a +15VDC (and high current - because of driving, possibly, many pipes at once) - along with each stop action that provides a ground for each rank (has to be high current as well), and it would seem that Hauptwerk would do all the coupling - including mutation pitches.

If this method works, the financial cost of providing these MIDI pipe drivers was just cut in three.

So ... am I interpreting correctly the coupling properties of external pipe ranks? It's almost too good to believe it could be that simple.

NickNelson

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 pm

I've never used MIDI out in HW (or therefore troubled myself with reading the manual), so I don't know how the coupling issue works in terms of MIDI out.

I do hope it turns out to be straighforward.

Good luck - I quite envy you having such an interesting project to get your teeth into.

Nick

mdyde

PostTue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Hello RWAbacus,

Hauptwerk can easily do coupling (and/or implement the whole relay) for you. Output via the 'Organ settings | Advanced MIDI applications | Direct MIDI output from divisions' is post-coupling.

If you drive the pipes at the 'division' (=wind-chest) level in that way then you wouldn't even need any ExternalRank or StopRank entries at all. You would just have a Stop entry for each real rank of pipes and use MIDI output from it directly to engage or disengage the real rank of pipes as a whole (as with a slider wind-chest).

However, you can't do unification (applying per-rank key shifts) if you have MIDI output at the division level. For that you instead need to have MIDI output at the rank/pipe level, i.e. have a separate MIDI decoder for each pipe. Otherwise there would be no way Hauptwerk could play some ranks with different key-shifts (pitches) to others.

So you need to decide whether you want the pipework to sound only at its current pitch (no key shifts), in which case you can use division-level output, or for ranks to be playable at multiple pitches, in which case you have to use rank/pipe level output (usually one decoder per rank).

I could even define mutation pitches - again for external real pipes?

I presume you're referring to unification (playing individual ranks with key shifts). Hence for that you would need rank/pipe-level output, not division-level output.

Note also that unified 'mutations' would only sound at approximately the same pitches as real mutation ranks, since a real mutation ranks is tuned perfectly to the harmonic, whereas with equal-tempered pipework there is no key-shift that you can apply to get exactly the same pitch from a non-mutation rank.
Best regards, Martin.

RWAbacus

PostFri Aug 12, 2011 1:27 pm

If you drive the pipes at the 'division' (=wind-chest) level in that way then you wouldn't even need any ExternalRank or StopRank entries at all. You would just have a Stop entry for each real rank of pipes and use MIDI output from it directly to engage or disengage the real rank of pipes as a whole (as with a slider wind-chest).

OK ... this is the way it's going to be since I can use that method for almost all of the ranks. It's the easiest method to wire, I think. Use a high-current MIDI driver board to supply +VDC to chosen notes on any keyboard. For example, since there are seven 8' ranks in the great, I would wire together all notes of the same pitch together, and those seven wires would be connected to one output on the MIDI driver board.

As each stop is chosen in this division, just ground the common of the chosen rank, and, voilà, the required note sounds while the others won't because the common side of the rank is not grounded (it's left floating, close to the +VDC). I assume Hauptwerk will look after the coupling. WHAT A HUGE RELIEF!

There remains two problems:
1) While most of the mutation stops have their own pipe rank - and therefore will work as described above, there is one stop in the swell and one in the choir that is a mutation pitch (whatever were the builders thinking!!?) The above method can't work with the above-described method. I have thought of two methods to cover this scenario.
a) have those two stops conveniently disappear - disguise the draw knobs or just make them blank; that's certainly possible because, as Martin described:
Note also that unified 'mutations' would only sound at approximately the same pitches as real mutation ranks, since a real mutation ranks is tuned perfectly to the harmonic, whereas with equal-tempered pipework there is no key-shift that you can apply to get exactly the same pitch from a non-mutation rank.

I've noticed that before. They are audibly ugly-sounding because of the tuning - AND, they can't be in tune because of this unification. In full organ, it's OK (I guess).

b) the second method that would include these out-of-tune pseudo ranks would be to wire the common rank - where pitches are borrowed - so that they can be played from both sources. The common rank would be played as first described but there would be a diode inserted in the circuit of each note so that current could not flow backward. The first method still works for this multiple use rank. Then, also have a separate MIDI driver board feed the (now offset in pitch that can be described in the CODM) pipe. It too would have to have a diode inserted as well so that its separate +VDC can't feed back into the source pipe wiring. In essence you would have two diodes connected together (via their cathode ends) and the result of that joining would feed the pipe magnet. The other end of one diode would be connected as described at the top of this message and the second diode would be connected to the offset MIDI driver to provide the mutation.

It would seem that this method will work with the addition of two smaller current capacity MIDI driver boards (only 1 note would be driven at a time - minimal current) - one for each of the two existing mutation pitches produced by unification.

As Martin also said:
and this is a BONUS!

You would still have to set up the two rogue ranks in the normal way though (as Martin previously described). It's all in the CODM manual.

Anyways, I've been away thinking of the best way to approach this and b) seems to be the best answer. Many thanks to NickNelson for sending my thought process in this direction! This solution is still < 1/3 the cost of the original idea of each pipe separately being controlled by a MIDI driver board. It seems that I've come a substantial way in 3 weeks from having known NOTHING about the mechanics and logistics of organ wiring, unification, and the like. It's easier playing the instrument rather than dissecting it on the mechanical/electrical level. Thank you all for taking me just past the NOOB stage.

RWAbacus

And it came to pass ...

PostThu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 pm

This is an addendum to this thread and my efforts so far.

I have successfully completed wiring MIDI pipe drivers at the division level. There are three 64-note (61 of which are used) parallel power P-Darlington high-current boards for each of the Choir, Great and Swell manuals plus one 32-note similar board for the pedal. Each of these supply +VDC as each of the manuals/pedals is played.

Stop control is another high-current board, but active low (ie. ground). These outputs ground the return path of each of the ranks.

It works amazingly well and was so much easier to accomplish than I had first envisioned (which was a MIDI driver per pipe). I even got around the problem of the two stops that were (phony) mutation stops by simply powering the existing gang switch for each of those (lame, but probably better than having those stops disappear).

I will post pictures of the wiring next week.

So, Martin's advice (driving the pipes at the "division" level) makes CODM writing considerably easier (no ExternalRank and/or StopRank entries).

Of course, other items that I didn't think of at the time have surfaced. Specifically, there are two wind motors that control the Swell and Choir shades/louvers. Each of these 'motors' is controlled by an eight-stage valve where, if none of the valves is energized, the shades are closed, up to, if all the eight valves are energized, the shades are completely open.

This is exactly like a Crescendo action with eight pseudo stops and are turned on (or off) sequentially; however, the CODM does not give guidance on Crescendo (Al Morse has written an excellent extension to do so; however, it's for one Crescendo). So, I could wire these 'motors' in the same fashion as the ranks.

Would this be the way to go to accomplish MIDI swell/choir shade control?

And, again, props to NickNelson for providing me with that ah-hah moment! That's exactly what I did and it was certainly the way to go. Thanks also to Al Morse for his help in giving me the Crescendo method to accomplish this.

I have learned much from previously knowing nothing of pipe-organ wiring. Soon, I hope the electrical part is behind me and I can then turn to the CODM in earnest. In testing for the first time, you perhaps can imagine all the MIDI driver boards were on channel 1 (arbitrary) and every middle "C" in the organ played with a touch of a key. A lot of "C"s and a LOT of volume too. WHAT A BLAST!

mdyde

PostFri Oct 14, 2011 6:42 am

Hello RWAbacus,

Glad to hear it's a success.

however, the CODM does not give guidance on Crescendo

The CODM doesn't have separate support for crescendos, but Hauptwerk v4 itself does (for all organs, including CODM organs) via the 'master crescendo', which can be found on the Registration large control panel (amongst other places):

The master crescendo supports MIDI input and output and its use is described in 'The Registration menu: master crescendo' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 95-96 in the v4.0.0 guide).
Best regards, Martin.

megafisc2

PostFri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello RWAbacus,

I have written three CODM files that drive pipes. I am totally amazed that your method of wiring the pipe magnets and switching the stops is successful. In the past, I have experienced numerous problems with this method of wiring. Basically, what I have experienced is notes playing when they are not supposed to. I honestly do not know the technical reasons this happens but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that with all the magnets grounded together (which, of course is normal) that enough "sink" is created to cause notes to play even though their common is not connected to the negative side of the power supply. Very strange. The first time I saw it, it took us 2 or 3 days to figure out what was going on. The second time I saw it, I knew right away.

So far, we have driven pipes two ways - 1. As you had contemplated, with a midi driver for each note; and 2. by driving an existing relay system, using the division outs as Martin has mentioned.

I'm curious to know what kind of pipe magnets you are driving. It would seem that the drivers on your decoder board would need to be pretty beefy to drive seven at a time. Also, what gauge is the wire you are using?

I'm curious to know because indeed, this would be a much less expensive way to wire pipes, if I could get it to work properly.

All the Best,

Mark

RWAbacus

PostFri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Mark ...

The pipe magnets are all Reisner, each with a diode across (banded end to "+") to provide transient-voltage-suppression. I don't know their resistance, but assume > 40 ohms. Without these diodes, I've found (accidentally), there's enough of a voltage spike when the circuit is broken to cause interference with adjacent circuits and it manifests itself as you specified. I had to replace two diodes because of this (they were open). Took a day's work in an incredible mess of varnish-covered wire to find the problem, on my back looking up at a sea of magnets and wire. When I replaced the two diodes, the problem went away. I knew less than nothing about how the organ was wired. I know much more now.

Each rank is common grounded (with stranded #10) which happened to be the gauge used when the organ was constructed. I used midiboutique's parallel power P-Darlington active-low driver outputs (5A@100V per output) for stop control (and hopefully swell/choir shade control that I haven't done yet). The part # is mdec64dd-n. For the keyboard side, I used three x 64 (+ another 32 for pedal) parallel power P-Darlington active-high driver outputs (also 5A@100V per output). Since the three keyboards have but 61-notes, three circuits are not used on each board. The part # is mdec64dd-p.

Each of these high-current pipe drivers is protected by an integrated wheeling diode to protect themselves against transient-voltage-spikes. This is built into the board.

The great manual board drives eight (at first I thought there were only seven) pipes, maximum, of the same keyboard note. The swell manual board drives nine pipes of the same keyboard note and the choir manual board drives seven notes, as does the pedal pipe driver board. These are just the most excellently made boards; they work without issue at all - even with arm down across many keys at once on full organ (the air supply didn't like it though). They worked first time without any issue at all. I found no spurious notes. There are LEDs on each note so it's so easy to troubleshoot signals (and provide quite a nice light show when a toccata is played - someone else, obviously, is playing while I watch). I had one wiring error - two adjacent notes were interchanged. Took only a couple of minutes to correct because of the screw terminals.

The +VDC voltage is #18 solid wire only because that's the existing gauge for driving the positive side; it's only the ground circuit that has to have a substantial return path since it could have many notes sounding at once.

Now, I'm speaking as a neophyte with respect to organ wiring. I knew nothing and now I know something. Maybe I was lucky, but the item that I thought would be the most difficult turned out to be not a horror show that I had envisioned at the outset. I will take a picture of it, but I haven't had to go 'there' recently, so I haven't given it another thought. I'm working on the keyboards now and am just finishing them. It was a lot of work installing key slips with a multitude of thumb pistons each of which generate a unique midi signal - and keycheeks with that 2 degree change each manual, etc., etc. Soon - in the next two weeks - I will connect the pipe drivers to the manuals that will actually play the pipes. Now there's but a lowly keyboard that plays all channels. Stop control is done, temporarily, by using notes outside of the 61-note range. I wedge a piece of paper between adjacent notes to turn a stop on. Messy, but it works for testing.

Hauptwerk does ALL of the coupling! I tested this with just the midi pipe drivers connected to the computer and Martin is right (of course!). It worked like a charm. Hauptwerk is just so excellent on so many levels.

I'll try and get some pictures on the weekend. I then have to learn how to control the swell/choir shades. Martin has steered me to the CRES. portion of the manual, and I've almost got that figured out. I assume that you have to invent some pseudo stops (8 per SWELL and 8 per CHOIR) so that the appropriate expression pedal activates them, one-at-a-time, to drive the 8 magnets in the air motors. I can't see how to do it without these make believe stops. The stops will just turn on each portion of the air motor in sequence - as if they're real stops; and it's reversible. Since the stops don't show on the visual display, I'm hoping I can alter existing sample sets that I have. I assume, too, that you could have the same expression pedal control BOTH the air motor as well as Hauptwerk's expression level on that division. So, there are a few challenges yet.

Later

mdyde

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 am

Hello RWAbacus,

I then have to learn how to control the swell/choir shades. Martin has steered me to the CRES. portion of the manual, and I've almost got that figured out. I assume that you have to invent some pseudo stops (8 per SWELL and 8 per CHOIR) so that the appropriate expression pedal activates them, one-at-a-time, to drive the 8 magnets in the air motors. I can't see how to do it without these make believe stops. The stops will just turn on each portion of the air motor in sequence - as if they're real stops; and it's reversible. Since the stops don't show on the visual display, I'm hoping I can alter existing sample sets that I have. I assume, too, that you could have the same expression pedal control BOTH the air motor as well as Hauptwerk's expression level on that division. So, there are a few challenges yet.

Sorry - I didn't realise previously that you were intending to use Hauptwerk's crescendo action to control your swell shades. Re-reading your previous post I see that now:

Specifically, there are two wind motors that control the Swell and Choir shades/louvers. Each of these 'motors' is controlled by an eight-stage valve where, if none of the valves is energized, the shades are closed, up to, if all the eight valves are energized, the shades are completely open.

This is exactly like a Crescendo action with eight pseudo stops and are turned on (or off) sequentially; however, the CODM does not give guidance on Crescendo (Al Morse has written an excellent extension to do so; however, it's for one Crescendo). So, I could wire these 'motors' in the same fashion as the ranks.

Would this be the way to go to accomplish MIDI swell/choir shade control?

In that case, I wouldn't recommend trying to adapt Hauptwerk's crescendo mechanism for it, since you wouldn't necessarily then be able to use/adapt conventional existing sample sets that have virtual swell pedals (most sample sets don't use the CODM and aren't intended to be user-editable, so you wouldn't be able to edit them to add dummy stops, etc.).

I think it would be much better to use a piece of hardware/circuitry to receive MIDI control change messages (with values in the range 0-127) from Hauptwerk's virtual swell pedals and to decode those to the eight on/off signals necessary to control your swell shades' wind motors.

Somebody like MIDI Gadgets Boutique (Jordan Petrov):

http://www.midiboutique.com/midiboutique/

... or Roman Sowa:

http://www.midi-hardware.com/

... might be able to make you a custom circuit board for that fairly easily and at a reasonable price, if you can't find a suitable off-the-shelf unit.
Best regards, Martin.

megafisc2

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 am

So, a diode on each magnet appears to solve the problem. Very interesting. This could save a few dollars, provided no unification is done. However, I suppose that all the straight stops could be wired in this manner and the unit stops have their own driver.

Take a look here: http://fischerorgancompany.com/customers/#Saint%20Boniface%20RC. At the picture toward the bottom, you will see where we are driving an existing Peterson diode-matrix relay with some MIDI Boutique's decoders. This organ also uses the CODM but I just used the default GUI since there are real stops on the organ.

The way we dealt with the expression on this project was to use the existing eight contact roller to operate the eight stage motor and we just added a potentiometer to control the digital voices. I just told Hauptwerk that the eight contacts were eight notes on the input side and decoded them as eight notes on the output side. Without that existing roller, I would have needed to do as Martin said above.

By the way, it's great to see you taking on this endeavor. You can see that a pipe organ really is a rather simple machine, there is just a lot of it. A successfully blended pipe/digital organ can be very exciting indeed, especially when you accomplish it yourself. Keep up the good work.

Mark

RWAbacus

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 9:49 am

Addressing Martin's suggestion:
I got so close - tantalizingly close - to doing it using your previous suggestion - now withdrawn. The addition of pseudo/dummy stops to an existing sample set (that's not designed to be user-editable) was the significant problem. I am getting much better with the CODM, but it's a significant learning challenge notwithstanding. And, I'm understanding, now, that the CODM doesn't support CRESCENDO pedals anyways. Emmmmm ... It seems it has to be hardware solution.

Addressing Mark's comments:
I just cut out - last week - the two eight contact rollers mechanically attached to the choir/swell shades - along with the existing wiring. I then attached a 10k potentiometer to each of these shoes instead (using Klann Organ Supplies' kit for so doing.) I could, I guess, do both the roller AND the 10k potentiometer for Hauptwerk ... as a solution by reconnecting those wires. Messy.

You should know that these contact rollers MUST HAVE diodes attached (as well as all the Reisner valves in the chests). I had to do this a couple of years ago to prevent scenarios where pipes would sound on their own - much as you've described in your previous message - when either the SWELL or CHOIR expression pedal was used. Casavant service technicians gave me that advice. Put a 1N004 diode on each of the 8 contacts on each contact roller. It solved the problem then for me; they left me to do that as they didn't have the diodes with them on the service call for a tuning and fixing a cypher.

Laughing - I've just cut all of that wiring out. Will look to Martin's solution first. This forum is an absolute wealth of information for me, in the hinterlands, doing this all by myself!
PreviousNext

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)