It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 am

Salisbury Vol 3 restriction on HW Master Couplers

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

CavalryJack

Salisbury Vol 3 restriction on HW Master Couplers

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 3:16 am

I have noticed that most of the Hauptwerk Master Couplers cannot be used with Vol 3 of the Salisbury organ.
Is this intentional? I know that the Salisbury Willis provides a wealth of coupling possibilities however I lament the loss of Melody coupling provided for in HW4. Has anyone else noticed this and shared my feelings.

Can this limitation be easily removed?

Aside from that, the Salisbury Willis, now complete, is a masterpiece - truly magnificent. Congratulations to Brett for bringing together all volumes to show this fine instrument in all its glory. Thanks also to Daniel for presenting fine demonstrations of the capability of this organ.

One wonders what we can expect in 2012 to top this extraordinary achievement.
John

mdyde

Re: Salisbury Vol 3 restriction on HW Master Couplers

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 6:17 am

Hello John,

Brett will need to get back to you on that, but he's away today. I understand that he's planning an update to the sample set to add some graphics enhancements, so I guess he'll aim to add support for the master couplers as part of that update.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

OrganoPleno

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 6:30 pm

CavalryJack wrote:I have noticed that most of the Hauptwerk Master Couplers cannot be used with Vol 3 of the Salisbury organ.... Has anyone else noticed this and shared my feelings.

Yes, I attempted to install my Console Pistons into the new Salisbury. Hoping to use "Master Couplers" to link one manual to another, or to the Pedal.

The Master Couplers pop-up shows only a few Couplers as potentially present, the great majority are greyed out and cannot be activated. The few that do show, however, seem not to function. So linking my Pistons to those buttons on the pop-up does not do any good.

A good work-around is to ignore the Master Couplers altogether, and just use some of the many Couplers present in the Salisbury. Any of those controls (on the touch screen) can be linked to any of my Console Pistons (using the MIDI Auto-Detect feature). Problem solved. (But this would not help for those hoping to use the Melody Coupler or Bass Coupler features.)

Randall Mullin

PostTue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Just today, I added a Great 16' Master Coupler to a Master General on the Salisbury Volume 3. It works fine. However, these Master Couplers do not work on the sample set's combination action, as is pointed out in the Hauptwerk 4 User Manual. They only work on Master pistons, which can be included as additions to the sample set's native combination action.

If you find a need for extensive Master couplers, you might consider using only Master Generals and Master Divisionals (from the Master Scoped pistons) and not assigning any of the sample set's "normal" pistons to your MIDI pistons.

Randall
Randall Mullin
Hauptwerk 4/Classic MidiWorks tutorial (http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf)

CavalryJack

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Randall,

The Master sub-octave coupler you have added to the Great division (with success) is one of the few couplers that have been made active in the Salisbury implementation.

Irrespective of how you have set up your physical pistons to control the pistons of the sample set or the General or Divisional pistons in Hauptwerk, you cannot activate those Master Couplers that are greyed out. There does not seem to be any work-around.

In summary: only a Bass and sub and super octave couplers can be added to the Great division, while a Unison and super octave coupling of the Great to the pedal is also possible - all other coupling arrangements are inhibited.

I'm sure Brett will enlighten us on this implementation when he returns from some well earned Hauptwerk leave.
John

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Hello John,

We aim to add some new updates for volumes 2 and 3 hopefully some time in January, so we'll add the master couplers to the list of things to look at as well.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

CavalryJack

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Brett,

I assumed that inherent HW capabilty (in particular Master Couplers) was automatically available to be applied to all sample sets, as I have used it with all organs that I have. I hadn't appreciated that sample set producers had work to do to enable the use of these HW features. I'll have to become familiar with the steps in sample set production, and particularly the development of the ODF..

Thanks for considering the inclusion of this capability in the Salisbury organ - it will be much appreciated.

regards
John

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 10:30 pm

CavalryJack wrote:Hi Brett,

I assumed that inherent HW capabilty (in particular Master Couplers) was automatically available to be applied to all sample sets, as I have used it with all organs that I have. I hadn't appreciated that sample set producers had work to do to enable the use of these HW features. I'll have to become familiar with the steps in sample set production, and particularly the development of the ODF..

Thanks for considering the inclusion of this capability in the Salisbury organ - it will be much appreciated.

regards

Hello John,

For most instruments the master couplers will work by default without any additional work on the sample producers part. The Salisbury organ definition file isn't a typical set up internally however, and due to the complex nature in how the divisions are set (due to how we wanted to implement the tremulant ranks as well as the Great reeds ranks) we'll need to do some custom settings to allow the master couplers to be enabled properly to be assigned to proper divisions.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

MikeDC

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Please add my vote for activation of the Hauptwerk Master Couplers to the Salisbury set as well. No rush :)

Thanks again for such a beautiful sample set.

kiwiplant

PostThu Dec 29, 2011 12:51 am

What are master couplers?

pwhodges

PostThu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 am

Those provided by HW4 itself rather than as part of the sample set.

Paul

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 am

kiwiplant wrote:What are master couplers?

Page 105 of the Hauptwerk 4.0.0 user guide covers the master couplers and their purpose.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Hauptwerk instruments