It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

wurlitzer28

Re: HW4 & Launchpad Button LEDs

PostTue Dec 20, 2011 11:38 am

wurlitzer28 wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I will be purchasing the Advanced version in the very near future.

Order for the Advanced Version placed today. Christmas present to myself.

Thanks for this fantastic program.

henk

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 pm

engrssc wrote:
G3 wrote:Regarding labeling what are your thoughts? Ideas?

I used a Dymo Labelmaker with clear labels with black letters. It's OK, but far from polished, I can tell you that.

Not directly related to the current flow of this topic, but more regarding labeling of L/P buttons. I thought I had posted this idea here somewhere, but couldn't find it readily. I may have posted it on another forum.

The idea being, you can get labels that can attach (stick on) to the L/P buttons from http://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL28CJ.htm These can be printed with an inkjet printer. They also have labels that you can use with a laser printer. Clear, matte finish, size 1.00 X 0.75 inches. And yes, the buttons on the L/P are 0.75 X 0.75 inches. No big deal to trim the above to size. They stick well, but can easily be removed and changed as the L/P specification changes. You can buy a Krylon product called Preserve It to spray on and keep the label designation from rubbing off. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Krylon+Preserve+It&_sacat=See-All-Categories Being clear, these labels don't block the LED from showing thru.

When you buy one or more sheets (of blank labels), Online permits you access (for a limited amount of time) to a design program that you can use to (design and) align the label text, etc. They will also send a limited amount of product as samples so you don't need to purchase a large qty of sheets. (There are many individual labels on a given sheet) I printed the label text on ordinary sheet of paper and held it up to the blank sheet of labels to check alignment before actually finally printing them. Works real slick and they look great.

Rgds,
Ed

Instead of labeling the L/P buttons I made overlays of laminated thick paper. The names of the stops are printed on the paper. Holes in the paper are made to be able to push the buttons.
Magnetic adhesive tape is glued on the back side along the edges.
On the Lauchpad I glued thin metal strips to hold the magnetic tape.
It is very easy to switch from overlay when I load another instrument

Regards, Henk

sonar11

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Very interesting!

Can somebody who owns a LP tell me the exact outside dimensions of it? Width, height and depth?

G3

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Dimensions of LP:
W = 9.45" H = 0.79" D = 9.45"

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

G3

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Henk,

Please provide more info on the "thick laminated paper".

Maybe manufacturer and model, etc., where you purchased it...

Thanks,
George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

sonar11

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks George :!:

engrssc

PostSat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 pm

G3 wrote:Please provide more info on the "thick laminated paper".

Maybe manufacturer and model, etc., where you purchased it.

.....and the best technique for making the cutouts. Exacto knife, maybe?

It appears the openings (slits) for the buttons are slightly smaller than the button (to allow space for 2 lines of label type, maybe?)

Thinking along the same lines, the rows could be vertical (vs horizontal) similar to the layout of drawknobs. That way, 1 (light weight, easy to mount) LaunchPad unit could be mounted on either side of the keyboards and make for a very compact stop control setup as I think has previously been mentioned. Labeling (or better said, being able to change the labels) has been an issue, at least for me. The lighted/coloured buttons are an added useful feature as well.

Rgds,
Ed

henk

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 pm

engrssc wrote:

Maybe manufacturer and model, etc., where you purchased it.

.....and the best technique for making the cutouts. Exacto knife, maybe?

It appears the openings (slits) for the buttons are slightly smaller than the button (to allow space for 2 lines of label type, maybe?)

Rgds,
Ed

The drawing of the layout has been made in autocad and printed on paper “Biotop 3 xtra quality A3 250 gram/m2 http://www.valeda.nl/producten.aspx?mid ... 25&sc=&so=
This paper has the maximum thickness that the printer could handle.
Then it is laminated with transparant plastic film: A3 2x125 micron gloss laminating pouches
http://www.gbceurope.com/gbc/en/gb/p/11 ... +gloss+(25).aspx

On the drawing I put marks where to do the cutouts.

With a sharp stanley-knife and a “behangliniaal” as ruler
http://www.formidotros.nl/formido/produ ... niaal.html
and a little patience the cutouts are made. The marks stay on the scrap part.
Between ruler and the laminated paper I used anti-slip rubber to prevent the ruler from shifting.

Yes, the slits are smaller then the buttons (but not too small for my finger) to allow 2 text lines.
Making another layout is no problem, it just takes more time to do all the holes.

regards,
Henk

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 pm

I have recently reconfigured my launchpads so that the buttons used for stops and couplers operate as fully on or fully off. I find that this makes it much easier for me to see what's on and what's off at a glance. Looking for varying intensities in the midst of a range of colours was too confusing.

I realise that when configured in this fashion the launchpads are limited to the amber colour only. Is this a limitation of the launchpads, or of Hauptwerk? Is there a chance that in the future it might become possible to choose different colours for the fully on/fully off mode?

Andrew

mdyde

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Hello Andrew,

That has actually been discussed already in this thread. Since it seems that a number of people would prefer to have a fully-on/off option for each colour, we decided that we will plan to add that functionality for v4.0.1 after all.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks Martin. I must have missed that item in a long thread.

Andrew

Marco

PostFri Feb 03, 2012 5:04 pm

you could just print it on "normal" paper and glue it to a sheet of cardboard before making the cutouts I would think...

very interesting idea, I will try to do this for my own launchpads, wish the template was in word or postscript though so I could make use of it! (don't own autocad)

henk

PostSat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

instead of autocad you might also use a spreadsheet like excel. Finding the correct grid of rectangles bij adjusting the cel width and height. An exta row of cell's between those rectangles can be used for text.

Henk

wurlitzer28

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 am

Just got my Launchpad running and it was a breeze with the temp Patch to program. Kudos to the programmers for making this so easy.

A related question or 2: As most of the messages from Launchpad are Channel 1 Note On Off messages what would I expect to see on the MIDI Out port on my sound card for a message that is in the same range as my Great Manual (Channel 1) when a Launchpad button was pushed?

Off hand I do not see how it would be differentiated or is it simply not sent?

The reason for the question is my 1928 Wurlitzer 2/10 console had neither couplers nor some of the neat sounding mutations found in the Paramount 310 and of course other organs. If I can receive an identifiable message from sound card MIDI Out for a given Launchpad pushbutton I can program my console and pipe chamber microcontrollers to create some of these additional stops/couplers.

My backup plan would be to change the Great Manual channel number for my console and pipe chamber but that would sure screw up many of my previous MIDI files.

mdyde

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello wurlitzer28,

A related question or 2: As most of the messages from Launchpad are Channel 1 Note On Off messages what would I expect to see on the MIDI Out port on my sound card for a message that is in the same range as my Great Manual (Channel 1) when a Launchpad button was pushed?

Hauptwerk will send the necessary Launchpad LED control messages to the Launchpad's own virtual MIDI OUT port (which is actually its USB cable), not the MIDI OUT port on your MIDI interface. Hence even if you have MIDI devices connected to the MIDI OUT port on your MIDI interface that respond on channel 1, they won't be affected by Launchpad output (since it's sent to a different MIDI port).

The reason for the question is my 1928 Wurlitzer 2/10 console had neither couplers nor some of the neat sounding mutations found in the Paramount 310 and of course other organs. If I can receive an identifiable message from sound card MIDI Out for a given Launchpad pushbutton I can program my console and pipe chamber microcontrollers to create some of these additional stops/couplers.

If you wanted to send additional MIDI output messages from virtual stops/couplers (in addition to those that Hauptwerk sends to control the Launchpad LEDs) then you could configure your additional desired MIDI messages manually by right-clicking the virtual stop, selecting 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...', selecting the 'Output 2' tab and configuring them there.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support