It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

A Blank 3-Manual CODM Organ

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

CHRIS 037

A Blank 3-Manual CODM Organ

PostMon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Hello All,

This posting concerns my “Blank” CODM HW organ as mentioned in the posting about my CODM Home Organ here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6599

I have now uploaded the screen shot of the Blank CODM Organ as well as the CODM .xml file itself for those of you who wish to try it:

http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/site/
Look under “Photos” to see the screen capture (click on it to expand it).

To download the .xml file, right-click this link and save the file to your computer:

http://home.comcast.net/~CHRIS909037/Fi ... ptwerk.xml

The organ contains three stops from the St. Anne’s Moseley organ, which comes with HW. On the Pedal – Open Diapason 16’. On the Swell – Trumpet 8’. On the Great – Open Diapason Large 8’. These ranks are set up to use my CODM features such as extended ranks and tremulants (the pedal stop is not on a tremulant). The organ is set for a 1280 x 1024 pixel screen.

Note: When used on a single screen, the very bottom of the HW screen showing “Frame”, Transpose”, etc. are cut off. Sorry about that. I use the organ on a second screen which doesn’t have the HW menu banner across the top as the main screen does. So, I made the vertical size a bit too large. . . too much work to change that now, but feel free to do so if it’s important to you (a LOT of work would be involved).

It should be possible for any one with HW in their computer to load this organ and have a look at what it is like:

WARNING: Be aware that if you do load this file you may need to do that longer re-load of other installed organs in order to create a new data cache of them for quick loading.

Download the file “BLANK_3_MANUAL_ORGAN.CustomOrgan.Hauptwerk.xml”
Copy it to this folder:
Macintosh HD\HauptwerkUserData\CustomOrganDefinitions
or (on my PC)
c:\Program Files\Hauptwerk2\HauptwerkUserData\CustomOrganDefinitions

Start up HW,
Do <Design tools><Load custom organ>
You should see the .xml file listed there.
Select it with “OK”
On the “Load Organ Design Options” screen check:
“Force source samples to be loaded, bypassing sample set data cash”
“Force source images to be loaded, bypassing sample set data cache”
“Force organ definition file to be regenerated”
Select this with “OK”

The organ should load and the three stops should play. You can try out the tremulants, the couplers, the extended ranks, etc. The blower, Trem noise, stop noise, and key noise should work. Once the organ is loaded, it can be saved by selecting:
<Organ><Unload organ> and it can be reloaded by selecting:
<Organ><Load recent organ>

Note: One should really have the extended version of HW here since it’s almost a certainty that adjustments to amplitude will be needed. Things are set now to sound good in my headphones.

This CODM file is intended for those Hauptwerkians who are familiar with the programming of the HW v 3 CODM’s. I use XML Marker on my PC for editing these files. It may also serve as a template for those new to CODM programming to learn from.

The file is intended for multiple speaker users, especially if one wishes to load the same sample rank a number of times. This can be done for headphones or stereo but there the same rank samples playing on top of each other don’t sound as good as when going to separate speaker groups.

I hope this file can be useful to some of you fellow Hauptwerkians.

Leo Chris.

PS: I can try to answer questions about this, but I don’t wish to get into details about the CODM. This file is for folks that have some knowledge about it already.
Last edited by CHRIS 037 on Sat May 01, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattOlieman

Re: A Blank 3-Manual CODM Organ

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Chris and thank you for this wonderfull example and simple starting point for me to experiment with CODM.

I followed your instructions but encountered a snag. After "Load custom organ" and checked the options I got the following error.

================
Could not access the organ installation package folder ..... looking for packages/000454 or Organ package ID 000454
================

I do have St. Anne's Moseley organ, since it came with the HW. It seems my St. Anne's may be 000002, is that possible. If so, what do I need to do to correct it for my situation.

Thanks again,
Matt Olieman

CHRIS 037

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Matt,

Installation Package 454 is for the Anloo sample set. I have forgotten to remove that from the CODM.

If you have an editor like XML Marker (or actually, even something like Notepad), you can go in there and find the Object List for the required installation packages and just comment out (or delete) those nine lines of code. They look like this:

<requiredinstallationpackage>
<InstallationPackageID>454</InstallationPackageID>
<Name>Great Organ of Anloo</Name>
<ShortName>Anloo</ShortName>
<PackageSupplierID>000011</PackageSupplierID>
<SupplierName>PROSPECTUM</SupplierName>
<MinimumPackageVersion>1.00</MinimumPackageVersion>
</requiredinstallationpackage>

And, in looking back at the file, it appears that I may have left all 10 of the package IDs in there that I use for the Home Organ. Sorry. You just need to comment out all but the first two that deal with the St. Anne's organ. Then, please let me know how it goes. Post questions here, since others may like to find out about your results, too.

Tomorrow, I'll post a updated CODM that removes those other ID's (or I probably will just comment them out, since the info there may be of use in the future). Let's say that this is part of the learning experience for us all. :oops:

Leo Chris.

el_supremo

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Chris and Matt,
I get the same error message. It says that 454 is the Great Anloo organ. I checked the xml and in the <requiredinstallationpackage> sections it not only references the Anloo, but it has four references to Caen installation packages as well.

Pete

el_supremo

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Chris: your reply somehow sneaked in just as I sent my message. Anyway, I commented out the extraneous statements and now it loads fine. It's an impressive layout!

Pete

CHRIS 037

PostFri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, again, sorry about that!

I just attempted to upload the "fixed" xml file to my Comcast file area. I find Comcast's way of dealing with files to be rather strange. However, I just tried to download it again (from the above link) and I got the corrected version, so I think I got that right.

BTW: I did find a whole bunch of commented out couplers, as well as the whole set of commented out stopranks for the St. Anne's organ. I have now deleted those in case they might make it more difficult to figure out just what should or shouldn't be there.

But, again, let me know about problems. I sure hope more HW folks start to make use of the CODM program. Martin has given us a truly wonderful thing to work with here.

And, what great timing. . . Jiri Zurek has just released the dry version of the Caen organ. That's the other set I used a lot in my Home organ, along with the Anloo set. I ordered it right away and soon ought to be able to replace the reverb-tail-cut Caen ranks with the new dry ones. That will improve the sound significantly, I think.

Leo Chris.

MattOlieman

PostSat May 01, 2010 8:09 am

Again, thank you Leo :)

Seems the removal or commenting out those lines did not work for me. I still get the same error msg.

This is what I did.

Found the reference as you mentioned earlier.

Starting at line 2956, which is package ID 1
line 2964, which is package ID 2
line 2972 through 3011 are packages 454, 398, 399, 396, and 397. I removed these lines.

I deleted the old XML file and put in the new changed file and still got the error msg. Looking for Package 454

I could not find any other references in the XML file for the above packages.

Leo, I want to thank you again for taking the time to go through this with us, this is the best way I know I can learn. Hands on with a guidance.

Matt Olieman

CHRIS 037

PostSat May 01, 2010 11:16 am

Matt,

I'm really sorry for this whole problem. Please don't give up! I think I've corrected the problem, finally. It has to do with the rather different way (for me) that Comcast sets up files for downloading.

So, I have now figured it out, I think. I have replaced the link for the file in the original posting with the correct new file which names the organ as BLANK_3_MANUAL_ORGAN_2.CustomOrgan.Hauptwerk.xml. So, if you download and get the ORGAN_2 file, it should work. I've loaded it in my Mac Pro and it comes up as it is supposed to.

Please give it a try again and let me know if it's OK.

Leo Chris.

MattOlieman

PostSat May 01, 2010 11:45 am

Leo,

No apologies necessary, this is how we learn, right?

Installed and works perfect. :) :) :) :) Now the fun begins!!!!!

Thank you Leo.

Matt Olieman

CHRIS 037

PostSat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Excellent, Matt, :D

Keep us posted concerning your progress.

Leo Chris.

colinlee40

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Chris,

I tried to install your Blank 3-Manual CODM Organ, but it didn't work. After following all your steps, I got this message:

Rank '016 One: Open Diapason 16'' is invalid - 'StAnnesMoseley-Pedal-OpenDiapason16' is specified as
a sample folder within installation package ID 000002, but that folder doesn't exist. To load a custom
organ, all referenced ranks of samples must be installed and present.

I am using Mac Pro and Hauptwerk 4. What should I do?

Colin

mdyde

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 am

Hello Colin,

I haven't tried Leo's CODM organ personally, but since it was created when Hauptwerk v3 was current (which had an older version of the St. Anne's sample set), my guess is that you might need to install the v3 St. Anne's version to use that CODM organ in Hauptwerk v4.

You can download that (older) version of St. Anne's here:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/stannesv3/

Once downloaded, use 'File | Install ...' to install it in Hauptwerk v4 as usual (it won't interfere with the v4 version of the St. Anne's sample set).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

CHRIS 037

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks Martin,

I'm suspect that is the problem. I haven't actually tried that CODM for some time, but it does load a few example ranks from the older St. Anne's and the ID's have changed.

Leo Chris.

colinlee40

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks Martin & Leo,

I have downloaded and installed v3 St. Anne's version but it still don't work. Any suggestion?

Regards
Colin

CHRIS 037

PostSat Apr 07, 2012 12:05 am

Colin,

It's been quite a while since I looked at that file. But, perhaps, if you're familiar with the CODM code, you could comment out the few ranks that were included as examples. Then you probably could get the blank CODM on the screen and go from there. . . perhaps. . . :?:

Leo Chris.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)