It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

4 Manual contemporary 'Willis' Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

sampsonr

4 Manual contemporary 'Willis' Console

PostTue May 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I am really pleased to be able to share my new Hauptwerk console which was built for me by Renatus in Bideford, Devon UK to a design we evolved together, and inspired by a contemporary console Renatus had built for St Peter's Plymouth. Their professionalism, workmanship, and support from the design input to the completion was superb and a big thanks to Colin Peacock and his team for providing me with a wonderful console.

Specs are:
4 UHT manuals 20 pistons each manual
Illuminated rocker tabs - Willis layout
Radiating concave pedal board 3 expression pedals 20 toe pistons
2 Dell IPS panels (removed from plastic enclosures and housed in maple enclosures - monitor setting buttons relocated to rear of screen housing using recessed thumb pistons - a really neat idea!)
Glass and stainless steel console frame - console finished in American maple
Glass and maple music stand with sliding adjustment
Proprietary midi circuitry - wiring for midi boards, monitors (hdmi and usb for touch control) routed through rear central vertical stainless steel column to connection box at bse
Computer - MacPro with 32gb Interfacer - Audiofire 8 (Using USB for midi)
Audio: ATC active tri-amped studio monitors speakers (SCM 70ASL) and ATC c6 sub with ATC sca2 preamp

I was initially tempted to go for the 3 manual option - At Renatus they had 3 keyboards setup for assessing - 2 fatars (one all plastic keys and one with the wood core keys), and a UHT, I couldn't pass up the UHTs which are a lovely action and despite the extra cost am glad now that I went for the 4 manual option, particularly as I play several of the Willis sample sets a lot (Hereford and Salisbury).

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Ralph Sampson

Photos are below and also on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39984209@N ... 576383912/

Last edited by sampsonr on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telemanr

Re: 4 Manual contemporary 'Willis' Console

PostTue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

I just looked up the Dell IPS Screens but the one I looked at doesn't mention being a touch screen. Is there a touch model you are using?
Rob Enns

murph

PostTue May 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi,
it's this one:
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/pr ... dellSearch
Like a lot of i.t. sites, you need to search multitouch instead of touchscreen to get the correct result.

Kronenberg II

PostTue May 01, 2012 6:21 pm

WOW!! and WOW!! again!
This, to me, is the definitive Hauptwerk console. With due respect to all the guys who spend countless hours making great hulking oak-stained consoles in Cathedralesque style for their living rooms, I really do feel that this is so state-of-the-art and in keeping with the forward looking concept of Hauptwerk. Like the Renatus console at Plymouth it is an excellent example of modern design which can be totally complimentary with an ancient or traditional building. Minimalism Rules OK!

Richard
(I am now wearing my flame-suit in anticipation of hostile replies)

cvmoreau

PostTue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Richard, no flaming retorts from me. I'm bowled over by this console. I love modern and this is as good as it will ever get!

-Chris

toplayer2

PostWed May 02, 2012 6:35 am

Superb! And ATC monitors and sub - your sound must be fabulous as well!

Joe Hardy

Ted Williamson

PostWed May 02, 2012 10:55 am

Ralph,
The console is absolutely beautiful. I love the contemporary appearance with the steel and glass. You should be very proud of what you have created.

Ted Williamson
San Diego, CA

jwillans

PostWed May 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Ralph - That looks marvellous - I love the attention to detail even around out-of-view places like the rear of the monitor casings. Renatus are certainly the people to do a job of this magnitude having the experience to understand how to design/build something which is both minimalist and robust - something that is not easy to do given the weight of the components involved. I use the same Dell IPS monitors in my console so can vouch for both the picture quality and the responsiveness of the screens.

Thanks for sharing,

James

MikeDC

PostWed May 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Simply stunning! Absolutely love the contemporary look. The only bit that would make me just a teensy bit nervous are the toe studs on glass. One can get a little excited at times when stomping on that Tutti or 32' Bombarde piston! :)

Great design and fine execution. Congrats to you and to Renatus!

MikeDC

dancingKitty

PostWed May 02, 2012 2:55 pm

I usually refrain from commenting on these setups but that has me drooling! That is a piece of furniture that is to be admired in its own right *as* a piece of furniture and is a beautiful looking instrument.

Fine design, fine work and I am wholly jealous! Congratulations on aquiring such a specimen! :mrgreen:

sampsonr

PostWed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Thankyou everyone for the very positive feedback. Some reassurance for Mike and his concerns about the toe studs mounted on glass The toe studs are mounted on acrylic (Renatus attention to design detail - hard to tell from glass and yet more robust) with a stainless reinforcement (which also hides the cable tracking from the pistons) so should take a fair pounding!

I agree with your comments James re the monitors - really pleased with the Dells, particularly for their price.

Ralph

telemanr

PostWed May 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Ralph,
Is the vertical aspect of the monitors a feature of the video card?
How are Dell with touch software for these monitors?
And what model is the monitor. And can the be used poking at them with the stand the come with or do they have to be modified?
Thanks for any info.
Rob Enns

murph

PostWed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Rob, see my post above, directly under yours. It links to the monitor (Dell only do one touch-sensitive!)
It's quite cheap.

telemanr

PostWed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes murph, I saw your post and looked at the Dell site and saw the model but it doesn't answer all of my questions. In particular about the software, the vertical aspect use and how steady they are for use with HW with the provided stand.
Rob Enns

mashaffer

PostWed May 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Very tastefully done... and this from a guy who prefers traditional styling. Good job.

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems