It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

Multipurpose CODM for better readable stops?

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ernst

Multipurpose CODM for better readable stops?

PostFri May 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello All,

I have several sample sets I love but find that the stop names are very difficult to read - admitting that my sight is not that good either - or which to my mind have an illogical stop distribution.

I have had a quick look at the CODM manual and some of the topics in the CODM section and am a bit discouraged at first view to dive into that.
(Note: the CODM manual probably is very good, but honestly I can't read it. I have not found a way to make the text larger AND reformat to page-width on-screen. In desperation I have made a conversion into txt format and read it (without its illustrations) in Notepad, which can reformat to page-width, and go back to the PDF version for the illustrations.....).

My intention is not to change anything else of those sample sets, but only to replace the stop lables by ones that are better readible and maybe (to my mind) more logically grouped.
(1) Has anyone tried that yet?
(2) If not, would that be a complicated thing to achieve?
(3) I would need it for say 4 sample sets so if possible at all a "universal" or "standard" approach would be most welcome.

I would regret to lose the authenticity of the console views, but finding and changing (new) registrations now just takes too long - I often use a printed Excel copy of the screen layout with typed stop names. Can you imagine?

Ernst

mdyde

Re: Multipurpose CODM for better readable stops?

PostSat May 12, 2012 7:14 am

Hello Ernst,

(Note: the CODM manual probably is very good, but honestly I can't read it. I have not found a way to make the text larger AND reformat to page-width on-screen. In desperation I have made a conversion into txt format and read it (without its illustrations) in Notepad, which can reformat to page-width, and go back to the PDF version for the illustrations.....).

PDF (Acrobat) files are designed to preserve the layout of pages, regardless of the devices on, or magnification at which, they're viewed. Hence you can certainly zoom in beyond the magnification at which the page width fills the screen, but then the page will be wider the screen so you'll have to scroll left-to-right to read it.

If you want it zoomed to fit the page width but have difficulty reading it at that magnification probably the only two options are to print it out on larger paper (e.g. A3) or to get a larger, and/or higher resolution, monitor. Or if you currently have your monitor in portrait orientation for displaying Hauptwerk stop jambs then temporarily repositioning it in landscape orientation might help, since the CODM user guide is a landscape-format document.

The guide is easily legible for me on all monitors here (which range in sizes from 17-inch to 30-inch), although fortunately I don't have any visual impairments.

My intention is not to change anything else of those sample sets, but only to replace the stop lables by ones that are better readible and maybe (to my mind) more logically grouped.
(1) Has anyone tried that yet?
(2) If not, would that be a complicated thing to achieve?
(3) I would need it for say 4 sample sets so if possible at all a "universal" or "standard" approach would be most welcome.

I would regret to lose the authenticity of the console views, but finding and changing (new) registrations now just takes too long - I often use a printed Excel copy of the screen layout with typed stop names. Can you imagine?

Currently there's no functionality just to substitute the console graphics/text of sample sets. Although you can potentially use the CODM to create your own console displays, to do so you would need to recreate the entire organ definition in it from scratch, which can often be a large and complex task and might involve a certain amount of loss of functionality or authenticity, since the CODM doesn't support all of the complex functionality that's possible within (full-format, i.e. non-CODM) organ definitions, in order to keep the CODM format reasonably understandable and usable.

Hence I think that the CODM probably isn't going to be what you're looking for.

Perhaps the best option is just to buy yourself a large, high-resolution monitor, so that the console screens and documentation are easier for you to read? E.g. the largest monitor I have here is 30 inches (2560x1600 resolution), which is pretty huge and makes console displays very easy to see, even from some distance away.

Over time, new sample sets will also probably incorporate high resolution graphics so that they can give the sharpest possible images on large and/or very high-resolution monitors, now that Hauptwerk v4+ can zoom console displays to fit monitors.

I hope that helps to some degree!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ernst

PostSat May 12, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Martin,

Well, yes, it's clear I'll have to buy a larger monitor. Many thanks for the clear explanation.

Ernst

sweetbb

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 am

Hi

I would like to agree with ernst that the CODM manual is difficult to read as it is.

Brian.
Regards,
Brian Sweetnam
South Africa

josq

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Me to, and that is mainly because the CODM manual is in the very unusual landscape format, not in the usual portrait format

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)