It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

Novation Launchpad Purchase?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

David Baldwin

Novation Launchpad Purchase?

PostTue May 15, 2012 11:02 am

It would appear that the Novation Launchpad could be a useful accessory to the Hauptwerk player and I think I would like to purchase one. Having read a lot of the threads about it, it seems that it would work quite simply with Hauptwerk but as yet the "button" light control is more complicated. If I have read the threads correctly, the latter will be rectified with the release of 4.1. Is my assumption that I could install it as it arrives and could be working quite quickly?
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Novation Launchpad Purchase?

PostTue May 15, 2012 11:34 am

[Topic moved]

Hello David,

If you purchase the Launchpad please just contact us and we can send you a temporary development build of Hauptwerk which offers full support for it. It isn't really complicated at all to set up with the Hauptwerk updates for it.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

David Baldwin

PostWed May 16, 2012 4:37 am

Thanks for that.
David
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

David Baldwin

PostThu May 17, 2012 5:05 am

Brett,

Could you therefore please send the necessary patch for the Novation Launchpad?

Thanks
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostThu May 17, 2012 5:14 am

Hello David,

No problem - I've sent it to you via email.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organgeezer

PostThu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm

IF you'd like to see a launchpad midi monster...my just completed project is at: http://www.htosonline.com/test.html
Thanks to Pierre Fracalanza for all his support with this project!
Da Geeze

kkiiwwii

PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 am

I think my problem fits this tread. I convinced myself I "needed" a launchpad in order mainly to control divisional pistons as I have insufficient of them on the organ console.(I also have a working touchscreen, but this is more cumbersome than a matrix of buttons)
Thanks to Brett's help the basic switching now workds OK, but the colouring of the buttons is a disappointment. All buttons start as pale red and when selcted turn deeper red (no other colours seem available by reading the 26 page instructions of "automap"). Also once a button has been selected it stays full red, even when subsequent buttons on that row are selected- I had hoped there would be feedback from hauptwerk to turn off the previously selected button as only one piston can be On at a time?. To overcome this in the "toggle" mode one has to use the buttons like stops and turn the previous one off before selecting the next- this is time consuming when trying to use fast registration changes.In the "normal" mode they do not change colour at all.
Photos I have seen on this forum show more colours- obviously it would be nicer if buttons that are "on" be a different colour to those not selected, and that only one button can be "on" in each row (a row consisting of all pistons for a given manual).
Would like to hear if anyone has a better solution than I have, or is this all that can be expected from the launchpad?
Note:I did not install the Ableton programme as I have Reaper in order to get reverb on the PAB and Paramount. One of those "DAWs" is more than sufficient for sanity's sake.
I have yet to try to use the launchpad with reaper-
Charles

pwhodges

PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:05 am

I seem to recall that using Automap interferes with HW's handling of the LaunchPad. Certainly I do not even have it installed - only the LaunchPad driver.

Paul

P.S.:
Here is Martin's reference to it: Don't link to Automap ports.

mdyde

PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 am

Hello Charles,

The forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0.1 will have feedback to allow the LEDs inside Launchpad buttons to be controlled by Hauptwerk, so that you can use Launchpad buttons to toggle latching switches such as stops/couplers/tremulants.

However, when you contacted us a couple of weeks or so ago about using a Launchpad, I understood that you were only intending to use it for triggering momentary pistons (e.g. scoped or divisional pistons).

As long as that's all you want to do, and you don't try to use the Launchpad buttons to control latching switches (stops/couplers/tremulants/etc.) then Hauptwerk v4.0.0 should work fine. It won't control the LEDs in the buttons, but that wouldn't usually be relevant/needed anyway for momentary pistons. The other key thing is to make sure that Automap is *not* running when you use Hauptwerk (as I see Paul also just replied) - it will potentially just interfere with things. Then in Hauptwerk use right-click auto-detection to configure each of the virtual pistons that you want to respond to the Launchpad buttons, keeping the 'Send matching MIDI output ...' option on the auto-detection screen *un*ticked for them for now:

The Launchpad buttons should then trigger the virtual pistons properly and the LEDs in the Launchpad buttons should remain off at all times.

Is that sufficient for what you want to do for now? If you instead do now want to toggle latching switches from Launchpad buttons, with the Launchpad LEDs showing the stop states, then we'll potentially need to get a temporary v4.0.1 development build set up for you (installing a temporary Hauptwerk build is a little bit involved technically - if you make a mistake you could wipe all of your settings, and they might contain bugs - so we prefer only to send them in cases where people really need them).
Best regards, Martin.

kkiiwwii

PostWed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks to all for help. I must spend a few days re-hashing my intended use of this launchpad. So far, I'm guessing that if I include couplers within the scoped pistons or sequencer choices, then launchpad should be OK with them. If not, then I have the option of changing my general pisons from the canadian keyboard's 20 to the launchpad, and using those pistons alternatively for couplers etc. Obviously I have to turn off Automap. When cold reading Launchpad's getting started guide, automap seemed the logical starting point- I find it completely impossible to remember instructions in the forum that go back to a time when I have no interest in the subject. The absence of abilty to use colours is disappointing, but it looks as if I would be wise to wait for 4.01- forgive my impatience, but am 83 now, and naturally want these things NOW.
I am using the Salisbury for most of my playning. I have the PAB professional and Paramount as well, but they need Reaper for more reverb- more fun with that and launchpad in the future?
It is my intention also to try harder to get one or more other local organists interested in hauptwerk.
Charles

mdyde

PostWed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 am

Hello Charles,

So far, I'm guessing that if I include couplers within the scoped pistons or sequencer choices, then launchpad should be OK with them. If not, then I have the option of changing my general pisons from the canadian keyboard's 20 to the launchpad, and using those pistons alternatively for couplers etc.

Correct. With Hauptwerk v4.0.0 you can in fact use the Launchpad buttons to control any virtual switches/buttons/pistons directly (even couplers/stops/tremulants). However, v4.0.0 doesn't have ability to control the LEDs inside the Launchpad's buttons, so you need to make sure that keep the 'Send matching MIDI output ...' option *un*ticked when auto-detecting Launchpad buttons.

Hence you can actually use Launchpad buttons to toggle virtual latching switches (stops/couplers/tremulants) directly if you like in v4.0.0, but the LEDs won't work, so you'd have to look at the computer screen to see what states the associated stops/couplers/tremulants were in.

Obviously I have to turn off Automap. When cold reading Launchpad's getting started guide, automap seemed the logical starting point- I find it completely impossible to remember instructions in the forum that go back to a time when I have no interest in the subject.

When we release v4.0.1 I expect we'll probably aim to include some form of tutorial in/with the Hauptwerk user guide for setting up a Launchpad with Hauptwerk.

The absence of abilty to use colours is disappointing, but it looks as if I would be wise to wait for 4.01- forgive my impatience, but am 83 now, and naturally want these things NOW.
I am using the Salisbury for most of my playning. I have the PAB professional and Paramount as well, but they need Reaper for more reverb- more fun with that and launchpad in the future?

A quick thought: perhaps it might be worth engaging Francois Ratte's (his forum username is 'micdev') consultancy services to help you get set up with Reaper and a temporary Hauptwerk build with Launchpad compatibility? He provides consultancy services (for a fee of course) and can set things up remotely on Hauptwerk users' computers if desired:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10397#p76471
http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/

We could then supply the necessary temporary builds to Francois, he could set them up (and update them if/when needed, since they're work-in-progress development builds) and you would then be able to use the Launchpad buttons while you wait for v4.0.1, as well as getting Reaper and reverb set up how you'd like it.
Best regards, Martin.

mancini

PostSat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Martin

If I use the auto detect function in hauptwerk, with the toggle mode, and then I put manually the same datas that appear in the primary input into the output 2 section, the light in the launchpad work properly.
Could this procedure has problems or could be used without risks?
It's just some extra work to put manually all the datas, and the light is only yellow, that is ok for me, but the result is great.

Fabio

mdyde

PostSat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Hello Fabio,

Are you using v4.0.0, or did we send you one of the special builds with native Launchpad support?
Best regards, Martin.

mancini

PostSat Aug 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello Martin

I'm using the v4.0.0.

mdyde

PostSun Aug 05, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks, Fabio.

I've sent you an email with a temporary development build with Launchpad support.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing