It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 pm

2nd touch in CODM

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

schultzpo

2nd touch in CODM

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 7:39 am

I’m trying to emulate the console of our Wurlitzer using CODM. So far no difficulty but now I tried to add 2nd touch. The console has separate 2nd touch contacts for both manuals and can be considered as separate manuals with their own MIDI channels.
In addition to the pedal and two manuals I tried to add divisions 4 and 5 like this (division 5 similar):
Code: Select all
<division>
<DivisionCode>4</DivisionCode>
<Name>Accompaniment 2nd</Name>
<ShortName>A2nd</ShortName>
<NumberOfKeys>61</NumberOfKeys>
<MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey>36</MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey>      
<AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput>Y</AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput>
</division>

These manuals don’t show up under “Organ setting->Keyboards…” only Pedal, Accompaniment and Solo. I do have these manuals visible and their divisionals through Custom Display functions but I have no need for the 2nd touch “manuals” to be visible.
I must have overlooked something but can’t find what it is. There are no messages or errors.
Per S

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: 2nd touch in CODM

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

[Topic moved]

Hello Per,

There isn't anyway to make division code 4 not be displayed, the option for a non-displayed division in the CODM requires that you use division code 7. Here is that portion from the CODM user guide:

7. As with other standard divisions, this division may own stops, couplers, tremulants, etc. However, it is different to the other standard divisions in that its objects are not displayed on the standard default console display, due to lack of space.

If your new division is not appearing in the Organ | Keyboards listing, then either you haven't fully updated the proper tables in the CODM file, or perhaps you need to force the ODF to reload and regenerate from the CODM file?

The example 6 all frills example CODM files for St. Anne's uses division code 7 for one of the entries if you want to have a look at that.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

schultzpo

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 am

B. Milan wrote:There isn't anyway to make division code 4 not be displayed, the option for a non-displayed division in the CODM requires that you use division code 7.

Understood.

What I try to accomplish is a simple four manual organ, named Accompaniment, Solo, Accomp2nd and Solo2nd.
These are assigned as Division 2, 3, 4 and 5 respectively.

All of them have <AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput>Y

I have not found any other statement that deals with MIDI input. The only ones that show up under Organ Settings>Keyboards.. are Accompaniment, Pedal and Solo. I can remove any of these by specifying <AccessibleForMIDIInputAndOutput>N.

I use Design Tools>Load Custom Organ to make sure that the changes made are reflected.

The Stops for Accom2nd and Solo2nd work OK and sound when clicking on their keyboards.

I will start with a clean sheet using ExampleCustomOrgan1. A screen shot with my attempt is attached.
Per S

schultzpo

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 am

Additional information.
Today I made some more tests. Since I happen to have two Wurlitzer keyboards sitting on my workbench (handy isn’t it?) I decided to hook one up. On the Keyboard display I right-clicked the Accompaniment to get “Auto Detect”. I followed the instructions, and HW detected both Accompaniment and Accompaniment 2nd!
I only have one keyboard attached so I can’t test both together but I have no reason to believe that it won’t work.

On the “Organ Settings>Keyboards…” only the three, Pedal, Acc and Solo are visible.

Here’s the big surprise (to me). CODM had it all figured out. It knows that the division SOLO 2nd belongs to SOLO an. Apparently the keyword is “2nd”. If I rename the Solo 2nd to something else like SOLO 2 then it shows up under Organ Settings>Keyboards and seems unrelated to SOLO.

Impressive!

To summarize: Everything works OK the way I intended, including 2nd touch.
Per S

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello Per,

Glad it s working for you then. Hauptwerk looks for keywords in the keyboard name like 2T, 2nd Touch etc. for the keyboard entries and when detected it knows to assign that keyboard as a second touch keyboard. Thus it appears to be working as it should based on your description.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)