It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

MSB/LSB Assignments for CODM Organ Stops

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Hartley Mays

MSB/LSB Assignments for CODM Organ Stops

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am

Hello!

I'm thinking about trying to use the CODM to create an organ which has my favorite, most colorful stops from the various organ sets I have. I mostly use Hauptwerk as a VST within Reaper for sequencing, not live performance.

My question is how the msb/lsb to activate a given stop will be unique for the combined stops when they're imported from different organs, where a pair of stops might have the same combination in use on the two different organs? I've searched through the CODM and can find no references to NRPN's or to MSB/LSB. The only way I've found to determine what the msb/lsb is for a regular organ is to record the transmitted message using a midi monitor.

Thanks,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: MSB/LSB Assignments for CODM Organ Stops

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello Hartley,

Once you remove stops from the original ODF the information about assignment codes which Hauptwerk uses for MIDI data no longer applies since that data is contained within the ODF for each stops, not the samples themselves. Thus you can set up any stops you wish without needing to worry about MIDI assignments overlapping/conflicting.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Hartley Mays

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Brett,

Sorry, I still don't understand how this works. I'm not asking about the midi learn capability to externally set a midi message to activate a stop, I'm asking about the default "internal" ones used, for instance, when you use the organ console GUI to manually turn stops on and off. I looked through one of the sample CODM files using notepad, and saw no reference there to any specific midi messages at all.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello Hartley,

I wasn't referring to MIDI Learn, that is automatic within Hauptwerk.

The only thing you need to specify within the CODM is the stop code (<StopCode>2201</StopCode> for example), there are no other settings that you need to worry about. The CODM user manual page 76 contains the stop code assignment listing that you can refer to. Based on these assignment codes Hauptwerk will assign any MIDI NRPN messages automatically (if you are using the Sequencer MIDI in/out).

Since you are creating your own CODM file there are no other references to the original ODF from where the samples were taken from, thus you just need to allocate unique stop codes for each stop on your own in your CODM file, and there will be no issues with conflicting stop assignment codes from other organ files.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Hartley Mays

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Brett,

Does that mean that there's a way to calculate(or otherwise somehow divine) what the NRPN message will be for the stop based on the stop code?

Thanks,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am

Hello Hartley,

In Hauptwerk 4.0.0 you would need to view the MIDI messages for each stop by recording them to a MIDI file and review the data within the MIDI file itself.

The next version of Hauptwerk will have an option that allows you to easily view all MIDI messages for a given organ's controls without needing to view a MIDI recording, however for now the only way is to record to MIDI and view the file.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Hartley Mays

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 am

Brett,

OK, thanks for the info and quick updates. I'll start trying to dig into the CODM tonight and look forward to the new release.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)