It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Extended version of Menesterol

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Morse

Extended version of Menesterol

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm

I have been using an extended version of the Menesterol sample set and thought perhaps some other Menesterol owners might enjoy it. I asked Jiri for permission to share it and he agreed.

The extension is a three manual, 37 stop organ with independant tremulants and two expressive divisions. The extended organ requires that the full Menesterol sample set be previously installed, and it's ranks are loaded multiple times and with various voicing parameters.

I have only formed a Surround Sound version, although a simple wet version results if the rear ranks are not loaded.

A screenshot is here: Menesterol Extended

and the installation file is here: Installation File

The organ installs as organ ID 000754 and does not affect the standard Menesterol installation. (changed!)
Last edited by Morse on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Al Morse

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Extended version of Menesterol

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello Al,

Please note that the installation package IDs in the 800000 range are not meant for public distribution. You have some of your own package IDs you can use, or if you require others please contact us and we can allocate more to you. I would recommend please removing the links so that these files do not become installed since that ID is not to be used for public distribution as per the developer code instructions.

I'm not sure if you have other instruments out there with an ID in this range as well, but if so you shouldn't be using those either and we can also offer you new IDs to update those if need be.

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Morse

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 pm

The installation file for the Menesterol Extended version has been changed such that it now has a unique and legal organ ID.
Sorry, Brett!
Al Morse

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks Al,

We appreciate the quick fix. If you need any further IDs for the future please just contact us via email and we'll take care of that for you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

CarsonCooman

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Al -- I'm curious why you chose to leave out the key action noises (I think also in your extended Velesovo), when this adds so much to the realism of a HW organ?

murph

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice one!
Thanks Al.

Understatement of the year to say it loads multiple instances of ranks.
I barely got the front ranks into 8Gb at 16bit resolution. (Normally, I get moist-surround at 24bit without compression)

A quick word of advice to people outside the US: turn OFF the wind model. The 4th trem is interesting, but not really required.

For an organ without any strings originally, the violes celeste is outstanding (4 ranks?).
Most of it sounds like orchestral strings.
A heart-felt thanks for the many, many hours this alone must have taken.

I now know I need 32Gb's, at least.

Morse

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Murph,

Thanks for the nice comments. I load the entire organ in 16 bit surround with only 6.8GB used. You must not have had compression tuned on. The wind model is a "thorn in the side" for most Americans. I can guess at wind parameters, but have no way to test them. I guess I should have set them all to zero somehow. Of course, the wind sounds fine on my organ here :?

Hi Carson,

My keyboards are so noisy, especially the $100 Yahama conversion for Swell, that I never consider adding recorded noise. That's easy to do, and if I do an upgrade or correction to the set I'll add it. I can always turn the volume down to zero!
Al Morse

murph

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Al,
i was obviously having a blond moment earlier. I forgot to disable the rears!! (Was wondering where all the extra reverb came from, but I normally use moist on the fronts, so assumed that was why......)

R.e. keyboard noises, I mounted my yamaha's (the little bit left of the original YPT210's) onto 10mm very light pine shelf-board. These are end-supported by the key-cheeks. All the keyboard part of the console is of this light (dry!!!!!) pine. It's very resonant.
On the bottom board, i have placed a little set of sat/sub stereo powered speakers (€16, Argos). These are for the sole purpose of the keyboard noises. (I hate kbd. noises coming from the main speakers)
It's a quite nice effect with Menesterol, but with the dry Rotterdam, it is absolutely outstanding.
The attack of the action noises is trimmed so carefully, the feedback effect of the wood resonating through the keys to the fingers makes playing plastic Yamahas feel much closer to playing suspended action trackers.
Highly recomended!!
Their inclusion would be appreciated!
Again, many thanks for your considerable labours,

Tony.

DavidMoore

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks for this extended set! I have one difficulty in that Tremolo is on with all Pedal and Great manual stops, even though no tremolo stop is selected. I have canceled all stops, exited and reloaded the organ, and continue to have this problem. Is there a bug in the works? Or something I inadvertently selected in loading?

Thanks for you input.
David

murph

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi David,
see my note above about wind model!
If you go to "organ settings/ organ preferences/wind model", select the disable wind model tick box and press "ok".
That fixes it.

sesquialtera

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Thank you for this new release, it will be very usefull !

I've tuned the "voix celeste" A =+10 B=0 C+7 D= -3
Do you think those settings are correct ?

What's the use of the "Trompette16L" on GO ?
( what's the meaning of the "L" ? )
Same question for the "Flutebass16L" on P ?

Thank you again for this new extended version !
(I'd be interested by action noises too ... )

Morse

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 pm

A new installation file is available which has key noises added to the ODF. The wind model has been disabled, so those problems should go away. Use the original link to download the newer copy.

The rank Trompette16L is just the lowest octave of the G.O. 16' stop. The G.O. 16' Trompette uses a revoiced copy of the 8' rank played an octave lower. Since the lowest octave cannot be made that way, I substituted 12 samples from the Pedal Posaune16'. I adjusted the voicing slightly such that the tone does not change much as you go down the scale.

A similar technique was used on the Pedal Flutebass16 since it is a revoiced extension of 8' Bourdon samples.

The Celeste uses four revoiced ranks in an attempt to synthesize string tone. A and B are 8' ranks while C and D are 4' ranks. Ranks A and C are tuned 3.3 cents sharp while B and D are tuned 3.2 cents flat. The result is a beat frequency of 1 Hz at middle C. I didn't play with this much, so it's entirely possible that you can find a more pleasing de-tuning combination. Have fun!
Al Morse

b.natural

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Your time and effort are greatly appreciated, Al. I love this organ sample, and now I have even more of it to love!

:D

Michael

smfrank

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 am

Not only is it a great little sample set to play, it is delightful to look at. I LOVE the font.
Thank you.
Steve
Steven Frank

donlewns

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 am

Bravo Al, Thanks
Last edited by donlewns on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments