It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

Building a new console (96IIIP)

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Building a new console (96IIIP)

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Regarding labeling of stop tabs/draw knobs, I think the closest to perfect way to label them for multiple organs was done by Joerg Glebe http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1873&hilit=new+Germany+organ here:

Interested as to how those label holder slots were constructed esp on the curved rail. Milled maybe?

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Organorak

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 am

Nice woodworking. It's (comparatively) easy when (i) you know how from years of training and experience and (ii) you have an advanced toolshop with all the necessary tools, rigs, jigs, router bits etc.

My only consolation was that by doing things in my small garden shed using a handsaw and mitre block I felt like I was doing it the way the organ builders of Bach's day did it!

Martijn70

PostThu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Some pictures of the bench:

Seat out of one piece of mahogany (edges will be rounded):
Pin connections:
Image Image
Gluing the legs:
And the connection frame:
Complete frame:
Finished:
In front of the console:

Meanwhile the pedal board got 4 layers of varnish (actually a 2 component varnish, very durable). Installed also a second spring for each key. The key cheeks and thumb piston rails got a dark wengé finish (ebony like, but with a little more brown in it) and are waiting to be varnished. Currently working on the stop tabs, sanding & polishing as well as fitting the LED's. Afterwards gluing and soldering them onto the switches in stop tab blocks.

MikeDC

PostThu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

This is magnificent! We had contemplated making our own momentary-switch style stop switches as well, but abandoned that idea because we would have had to make 106 of them. We were also concerned about reliability. So, I have two questions regarding your solution: 1) what are you using for the actual momentary switches (to be covered by the ebony stop faces), and 2) are you embedding an LED in the stop face--like the Heuss sample--or placing it above the stop face?

Congratulations on a wonderful project!!

Mike

RichardW

PostThu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Mike,

When I was considering "making" some switches I discovered these: http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/1301-9303/switch-pcb-push-7mm/dp/1217774

Regards,
Richard

MikeDC

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm

RichardW wrote:Mike,

When I was considering "making" some switches I discovered these: http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/1301-9303/switch-pcb-push-7mm/dp/1217774

Regards,

Interesting Richard, those are the same switches I was contemplating using. But it would have been an enormous amount of work to make full assemblies for over 100 of them.

I finally decided to use SAMs instead.

Mike

Martijn70

PostSun May 12, 2013 5:02 am

MikeDC wrote:So, I have two questions regarding your solution: 1) what are you using for the actual momentary switches (to be covered by the ebony stop faces), and 2) are you embedding an LED in the stop face--like the Heuss sample--or placing it above the stop face?

I use these switches for the stop tabs:
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/709 ... contact-NA

For the thumb pistons I use these:
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/704 ... 4251101-NA

Both are also available with a LED. The Subminiature buttons have a hinge build-in, so that make things easier. For the Marquardt switches there are separate covers available. The LED's will be placed in the ebony covers, a flexible electrical connection is required to the pcb.

regards,
Martijn

MikeDC

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:52 pm

I wanted to use the Heuss stop tabs too, but they get very expensive very quickly. Nice to see you were able to make your own. I was going to install the LED in the curved part of the tab, however, which would provide more space for engraving.

MikeDC

notdefined

PostTue May 14, 2013 11:04 am

Wow, wow, wow! Absolutely beautiful. I was going to ask you what type of interesting wood was being used for the console proper but you mentioned it. I know rosewood has several subspecies, but that is by far the most beautiful I've seen to date. Is it as difficult to work as is the more common (in the US) variety, i.e. is it like carving stone? I remember seeing a fellow burn up several saw blades trying to work with it. It was worse than teak. Are you going to apply a finish to the rosewood or just burnish and buff it?
Also, are non-moving controls becoming more popular over there. I gather that the non-drawknob organs are using indicators (lights) rather that position to indicate their state. They really are more practical.

MikeDC

PostTue May 14, 2013 11:47 am

notdefined wrote:Wow, wow, wow! Absolutely beautiful. I was going to ask you what type of interesting wood was being used for the console proper but you mentioned it. I know rosewood has several subspecies, but that is by far the most beautiful I've seen to date. Is it as difficult to work as is the more common (in the US) variety, i.e. is it like carving stone? I remember seeing a fellow burn up several saw blades trying to work with it. It was worse than teak. Are you going to apply a finish to the rosewood or just burnish and buff it?
Also, are non-moving controls becoming more popular over there. I gather that the non-drawknob organs are using indicators (lights) rather that position to indicate their state. They really are more practical.

While I've seen non-moving lighted rocker tabs on "real pipe organ" consoles (all European builders), I have never seen lighted drawknobs on a "real pipe organ" console--only on electronic organs.

MikeDC

Martijn70

PostTue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

MikeDC wrote:I wanted to use the Heuss stop tabs too, but they get very expensive very quickly. Nice to see you were able to make your own. I was going to install the LED in the curved part of the tab, however, which would provide more space for engraving.

The curved part is for you finger pushing the tab, so not very comfortable if you place the LED there.

I experienced these the first time in the Philharmonie of Luxemburg and found out Heuss is making these. I have a sample of the tab and switch which is indeed beautiful, silent and very reliable. But the price tag was just to much for 96 stops (3000 euro ex. VAT and shipping).

Heuss switch: 5203-100 (page 10, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_5_de.pdf)
Huess stop tab: 3374-025 ( page 19, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_3_de.pdf)
I considered also stop key unit 5023-000, (page 12, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_5_de.pdf) but found it to small.

notdefined wrote:I know rosewood has several subspecies, but that is by far the most beautiful I've seen to date. Is it as difficult to work as is the more common (in the US) variety, i.e. is it like carving stone? I remember seeing a fellow burn up several saw blades trying to work with it. It was worse than teak. Are you going to apply a finish to the rosewood or just burnish and buff it?

The rosewood is very very heavy and hard, but no problems so far with saw blades. It has actually a very orange color, which I do not like so much. I applied a wengé color finish making it very dark brown with a red-like glow in it caused by the wood. The wood I would like to use was just way to expensive, so this was a alternative since we 'accidentally' had a big -piece of this wood in storage and never used it!

pat17

PostWed May 15, 2013 3:54 am

Martijn70 wrote:Heuss switch: 5203-100 (page 10, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_5_de.pdf)
Huess stop tab: 3374-025 ( page 19, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_3_de.pdf)
I considered also stop key unit 5023-000, (page 12, http://www.ottoheuss.de/downloads/Otto_Heuss_Gruppe_5_de.pdf) but found it to small.

Thank you for posting these links Martijn! 8)

I had not realised to which extent Heuss was following Laukhuff steps by having implemented a comprehensive organ spare parts catalog. I was curious to type what the other "Gruppen" corresponded to and discovered on Gruppe 1 a good explanation on how their tracker simulation keyboard is working!

Martijn70

PostThu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Drilling the stop tabs:
With LED's installed:

Got some questions about how the thumb piston rails where connected to the UHT frame. There are two pieces, the first is bolted to the UHT frame and holds the actual switches and wiring, the second is just a cover but holds also the wooden switch covers. I used 1mm thick cork and felt as spacer and silencer for the thumb pistons. Here some pictures:

Here a picture on request of the key cheeks and their cut-out. Cut-out where made with a saw and drill as one can see. Unfotunately we do not have a vertical axis milling machine with a movable x-y table. Life will be so much easier when we had one. The four pieces are connected with pins for their position and also screwed (from below) to fasten them together:
Last edited by Martijn70 on Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martijn70

PostThu May 23, 2013 2:10 pm

I glued wooden fillers on the switches to enlarge the gluing surface:
Soldered the wires for the LED's:
Additional fillers of 1mm thick cork, makes it easier to remove a tab without damaging the switch:
All 96 done:
Gluing the tabs in positions using spacers to get an equal distribution:
First row is done:
I decided to add an extra end point for the tabs so the pressure force when pressed is not a full load on the switch. It is a small piece of wood painted black and covered with black flelt, see upper row in picture below.
Half way:

MikeDC

PostThu May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

I continue to be blown away by the elegance of this console. Your work is superb!
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems