It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

A Free Organ from Pitea School of Music samples

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Morse

A Free Organ from Pitea School of Music samples

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 am

I recently came across the website of a Swedish organist, Lars Palo, who has recorded several organs in Sweden. One organ, from the Pitea School of Music, tweaked my interest because it has a very complete three manual disposition. His samples are free and were made for organ software that I don't use, but they appeared to be of reasonably high quality. So I imported them into a Hauptwerk CODM organ and tried them. There were a number of fixable sample flaws and it cried out for multiple releases to eliminate the old HW-1 "bell effect".

I fixed the flawed samples and generated short releases. I think the results are quite good. The acoustic is still 90% "real" and the organ has a lot of "presence", by which I mean it gives the impression of sitting right in front of the pipes. This organ has less than 2 seconds reverberation which, combined with the complete disposition, makes it a good one for practice. It may be fun to play cathedral organs, but most of us belong to churches with similar short reverberation.

Here are two screenshots. I'm not a big fan of photo-realism, so the actual organ doesn't look like this. I prefer large, readable stops arranged in a standard, logical pattern. I think this is probably the way the real organ sounds, but I couldn't resist extending a few stops and adding a few gadgets.

Console Screenshot
Stops Screenshot

The organ requires Hauptwerk version 4. it loads in slightly less than 1.5GB RAM and is probably usable with the free edition.

The organ installation file is about 710MB and can be downloaded here:

Pitea SoM InstallationFile

This organ is free but not "freeware". The original samples were provided under a Creative Commons license. The license extends to my samples which were derived from them. The license is included in the sample set and essentially means that the organ cannot be used for commercial use and that any derivations of it are also subject to the Creative Commons license.

Update July 29, 2013
A 48 stop extended version of Pitea is available and described later in this topic. Here is a screenshot of the extended organ, with the new stops turned on:
Stops Screenshot
Last edited by Morse on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Al Morse

joeroberts

Re: A Free Organ from Pitea School of Music samples

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Mr Morse..............
Thank you so very much for the Pitea Organ.....
Wow......playing it just knocks my socks off!!!
An excellent sounding and functional organ.........
Regards,
Joe Roberts

mashaffer

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 am

I have played with this organ, which I affectionately refer to as PMS (Pitea Music School), as well as several of his other organs, such as Burea Church extended, in their original versions. They are not exactly "all around" organs but rather have there own distinct (and delightful) character and are definitely worth the time and effort to try them out.

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

dralanrobinson

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:07 am

Hi All,

What a delightful not so little organ. Does what it says straight out of the box. And as described, excellent for articulation practice. I have it coming through one group with 4 stereo pairs and a mixdown with subwoofer for the 5th pair (10 channels). Excellent !! And as others have remarked , 16 bit is no barrier to quality.

Alan

James

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 am

Thank you, Al, for this very satisfying organ. I very much appreciate all the effort that must have gone into it. I also must say that I have also downloaded the rearranged St. Maximin, and find it a wonderful treat for my aging brain cells. You do know how to make your elders very happy!

Morse

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for the appreciative comments. I've done a number of these organ sets now, and it gets easier each time because I have templates and process algorithms which can be adapted and reused without too much effort.

Glad you like the St. Maximin layout, James. I don't advertise that layout much because I don't want to open myself to the wrath of the organ purists. But I have dozens of sample sets and find that dozens of different individual screen layouts are too confusing for occasional use. That's one reason I'm not in the photo-realistic camp.
Al Morse

G3

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am

I'm having trouble getting the download to work on my Mac/Safari. All I get is a screen-full of garbage. If I tell the file to download to the downloads folder, I only an html file (link). Same for the Calibration Organ.

Help...please.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

ldeutsch

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am

George,

Safari tries to download the file directly to the browser screen. I used Firefox instead on my Mac. Firefox asks you if you want to save it as a file.

Les

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 am

G3 wrote:I'm having trouble getting the download to work on my Mac/Safari.
Help...please.

George (G3)

Try with Chrome. It works better that Safari downloading HW software

Mike 353

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the others about the worthiness of your work. I have the original Pitea organ on my computer, having imported it as a Hauptwerk I sample set with a few changes in the definition file, and I must say that your upgrade is a vast improvement over the original. There really is no comparison between the two. Many thanks for your work.

If you decide to do any more work on it (maybe as version 2?),would you consider a Flute Celeste from the Flute D'Amour in the Choir, and possibly a 16' Fagotto in the Swell (and duplexed to the Pedal)? The only other addition then, to make the organ complete, would be a 16' Principal in the Pedal. How about it?
Mike

G3

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Working now with Firefox. Thanks everyone...

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

Morse

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 1:20 pm

I am finishing up an extended version of Pitea for an interested user. It adds the stops that are highlighted in this screenshot:
Pg2-Screenshot

If more than a couple others are interested I'll find some way to host it, but I am presently about out of web space since I only use that which comes free from my internet provider..
Last edited by Morse on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Morse

cthart

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Al,

Thanks for this! Can I make one request? Can you rename the stops to conform to the original stop names? See http://www.gronlunds-orgelbyggeri.se/sc ... .asp?id=69

Thanks,

Colin
--
Colin 't Hart
Frösön, Sweden

seh52

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 6:03 pm

I like your proposed extension, Al. Please let me know if it becomes available. Stan

seh52

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 6:04 pm

I like your proposed extension, Al. Please let me know if it becomes available. Stan
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments