It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

A Free Organ from Pitea School of Music samples

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Jon Hammond

Re: A Free Organ from Pitea School of Music samples

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 6:13 am

I'm also interested. Thanks, Jon Hammond

cthart

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 6:18 am

Also interested in the extended version. Could you indicate the extended stops on the screen?

Cheers & thanks,

Colin
--
Colin 't Hart
Frösön, Sweden

James

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 6:58 am

I am interested also.
James

scottherbert

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Add me to the 'interested party' list as well!
~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

David Baldwin

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 3:28 pm

I think the organs you have created are great. The only addition I would like is portrait stop selection screens. I would do it myself but I think the CODM is not appropriate.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

Morse

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 8:59 am

An extended version of Pitea is ready for downloading. The final screenshot is here, with the new stops turned on:
Stops Screenshot

The extended version is actually an add-on to the basic organ, so the new download is very small, only about 13MB. Of course, you have to have my basic version of Pitea installed first. It needs to be installed, but not necessarily loaded.

Here is the extended download:
Pitea Extended InstallationFile

It's gratifying that so many are interested in these organs that I put together just for fun. Your interest makes it very rewarding. And thanks for your comments -- they are greatly appreciated.

To cthart: I'm sorry that I don't speak Swedish and wouldn't even know what appropriate swedish names would be for the new stops. I'm american, of british extraction, and prefer stops in english arranged in AGO order. If it really, really, really bothers you, send me a list of what you think the stops should be named and will send you an edited ODF with them. Or, if you are good with an editor, you could do that yourself.

To David Baldwin: I only have one touchscreen, and it is landscape mode. I think it is possible to do portrait mode in CODM, but I have never bothered to learn how.

To Mike353 (probably the most enthusiastic recipient of this sample set): Thanks so much for your influence in the selection of extended stops and your diligence in finding errors in the beta copy.

As before, this organ is free but not "freeware". The original samples were recorded by Lars Palo and provided under a Creative Commons license. The license extends to my samples since they are derived from them. The license is included in the sample set and essentially means that the organ cannot be used for commercial use and that any derivations of it are also subject to the Creative Commons license.
Last edited by Morse on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Al Morse

GLMounk

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 7:16 pm

That certainly was a fast update. You must have been quite busy the past few days. This is a very interesting organ. :D
Glen

1961TC4ME

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello Al,

A very nice sounding set indeed! Thanks much for your efforts in putting this one together and offering it to the HW community. :D

You mentioned it's nice to play cathedral organs (and it is! :D), and I'm usually not a big proponent of adding artificial reverberation, with this one I just couldn't resist after hearing it as it seemed to have the right clarity and characteristics. I decided to load it up in Reaper and test it with a few different IR's (Minster as one example) and it's probably one of the best candidates I've played / heard using Reaper to date. It sounds very good both "as is" and rather wet as well!

Thanks again, great job!

Marc

Erzahler

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks Morse, I have the extended PSM sample working but I listen trough headphones and at the same setting as other samples it is very soft. I have the organ volume all the way up but have left the headphone setting as is until I find if there is another way to increase the sound level. Thanks

Morse

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 am

The Pitea is a relatively low volume organ as presently configured. I just checked and it appears about 16dB softer than St. Annes. But that should not be an issue since Hauptwerk allows a +/- 24 dB Trim of each organ. If you have the Volume control slider, then you should also have the "Trim dB" control. Try increasing it in steps of 3dB or 6dB.

I always leave the small organ audio output level menu engaged. You get that from the menu system:
"View->Mini control panels (for this organ)->Audio output level"
That makes it very easy to adjust organ volume whenever I feel the need for some reason.

There doesn't seem to be any standard among sample set producers for default organ volume. This question prompts me to think that maybe we should all strive to emulate the St. Annes level as a "standard". I will do that in the future.
Al Morse

Erzahler

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks for that advice. A native volume standard would be helpful but so I suppose so much depends on the organ and the way it was recorded. Another question about standards. When using a sample on a basic console having no 'swell' pedals is the box open or shut by default?
Thanks A

robinhoodmusic

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 am

May I add my thanks to you for your wonderful generosity in providing this organ - a gesture so typical of the HW community.
This has so much going for it - the dryness does indeed make a very useful practice instrument, and the full compass manuals and pedals contrast nicely with the majority of short compass manuals and 30 note pedal boards. The thing that really makes it for me, is that there is a lack of blandness about this instrument - the reeds have a terrific amount of bite to them and most of the individual stops have character and charm.
I downloaded this 2 days ago and haven't used anything else since (Salisbury and Metz won't lose their hold over me easily, I suspect, but for now it's great (mostly!) to hear the notes that I am actually playing as opposed to those that I fondly imagine that I am hitting ...)

Ian

ldeutsch

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Al,

I just wanted to add my own thank you. I have been quite busy but I finally had a chance to try the Pitea organ last night. It is a great addition to the free (or nearly free) instruments available to our community. The acoustics are perfect for practicing just as they are. I put the organ through its paces with various large works in different styles and it did very well.

Any chance you will make the CODM available for further editing - without without the crescendo pedal, of course? It would be both a great starting point for further extensions and a model for people learning the process of creating custom organs.

Les

Morse

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Les,

Glad you like the organ. I have to admit it turned out better than I first thought it would. I've been playing it quite a bit. I like the "in your face" presence that it has.

I've had other requests for the CODM file so I've decided to just post it for everyone to look at and/or work with.

Here is a link to it:
PiteaExtendedCODM

CODM organs must have ID numbers in the 800000 range, so the file creates organ number 800895. After compiling the ODF I changed the ID to one that is assigned to me, 000759, and did some post-processing such as adding the crescendo pedal. Everyone who creates a private version of the organ should just leave their ID in the 800000 range unless they decide to distribute it.

Please remember that any organs created from the Pitea samples are subject to the Creative Commons License rules.
Last edited by Morse on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al Morse

cvmoreau

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 pm

I can't begin to tell you how much I've enjoyed this "gift!" I've been working on a new piece and hadn't found quite the right registration I wanted for one small passage. I discovered that with the Pitea, a flute chorus on the choir with tremolo and a bit of added convolution reverb gave me exactly what I'd been striving for! I was very happy, indeed.

Thank you so much for doing this for us. Your efforts and generosity are very, very much appreciated!

-Chris
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments