It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

Release: Freedom Morton 2/6 for Hauptwerk

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Release: Freedom Morton 2/6 for Hauptwerk

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Melotone Sound Productions are pleased to announce the release of the first of the Freedom Morton Series - the Freedom Morton 2/6 for Hauptwerk.

This sample set is being released as Donationware, which means that it is free for all personal and non-commercial usage, but we ask for a donation towards the time and effort that we have put into creating it. The samples are released under the Creative Commons license, but the ODF is copyright to Melotone Sound Productions.

This organ is a little gem. For its small size it really packs a punch and is versatile enough for many of the Theatre Organ favorites (and many of the classics too!). Please go to the web page for a few musical samples as well as a full screen image of the console view. The web page also hosts the link to our orders page.

https://sites.google.com/site/savirtualorgans/home/hw-freedom-morton-2-6

Kind regards,
GrahamG

ldeutsch

Re: Release: Freedom Morton 2/6 for Hauptwerk

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Graham,

You have beaten me to it! I have been wanting to sample a Robert Morton organ for some time but had not yet built up the courage to actually do it. Since I grew up and still live in the Los Angeles area, these were our "hometown" organs. In some sense, the city of Van Nuys was founded around the Morton factory (and its predecessors.) My high school had an organ from this factory - predating the Robert Morton name.

There are still several excellent Morton installations in California, including some very large ones, that would make wonderful projects.

I look forward to trying out the six-ranker.

Les

ldeutsch

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Graham,

I just tried to order the download on your web site. It passed me to a PayPal site where I was attempted to make a donation. However, PayPal refuses to recognize my address and zip code as valid. I then went to the US Postal Service web site and verified that they are correct. This appears to be a PayPal problem that others have complained about online. I explained this in the comment filed in my order for the organ download.

I will be perfectly willing to send you (or the company) a donation through actual mail if we cannot get the electronic system to work. I am certainly in favor of supporting this effort.

Les

ggoode_sa

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Les,

Thanks for letting me know about the PayPal issue. I'll see if I can file a report to them from my side as well.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

ldeutsch

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Graham,

I have now had a chance to play the Morton 2/6 a bit. I especially enjoy the fact that it does not sound like a Wurlitzer and is also quite different than the Barton. It sounds quite like a small Robert Morton. The string is especially good. I also really like the Diaphone. You even used the correct red color for it - nice touch! The Xylophone has too much reverb on it for my taste, but the sound is good nonetheless.

So, there is a 10-rank version still to come? Will there be a 23-rank "Wonder Morton" in the future? I'd really like to bring back the 4/61 Los Angeles Elks Club organ, but it lo longer is playable. I had a few opportunities to play it back in the 70s.

Les

ggoode_sa

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 am

Hi Les,

Yes, the next in the Series is the Freedom Morton 3/10, it just went into the first stages of Beta testing. We'll hopefully release that sometime close to the end of September. Then by the end of the year the final organ in the Series, the Freedom Morton 3/15, should be ready as well. The English Horn the Saxophone ranks are not RM, but all the others are.

I'll be sending you a personal message in regard to the PayPal issue, and may have an edited Xylophone for you to test later in the month as well :wink:

Kind regards,
GrahamG

katnjack

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I've downloaded the program, got it working and such, only for a short trial time. I have a question: What would be the difference between this organ and the Morton sound fount that Wurlitzer has for the 216? I have the Morton sound fount in the Wurlitzer 216. I've not checked to see what the difference might be. So, what might be the difference?
Jack

ggoode_sa

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 am

Hi Jack,

Interesting question :)

The soundfont for the Miditzer 216 has ten ranks, eight of which come from the RM set, and has more in common with the Freedom Morton 3/10 (hopefully to be released next month) in regard to the ranks used (however the Freedom Morton 3/10's specification is very different to the Miditzer 216!). In terms of the sound and the Stop List, however, there are quite a few differences.

The voicing of the MiditzerMorton soundfont closely matches the voicing of the ranks from Bruce Miles' synthesized Wurlitzer soundfont, whereas the voicing of the Freedom Morton series follows the original core instrument that the samples come from.

The look and feel of the Freedom Morton consoles in HW follows the Robert Morton approach. This includes the order of the stops, the color of the stops, and the text/font on the stops. So your experience in HW is a more RM experience. The Miditzer experience is more of a great hybrid experience.

Another difference is the actual reproduction of the sound. The soundfont specification does not have native support for release samples, so a 'work-around' method is used to add those, and that method is not as smooth as the way releases are handled in HW. The Stereo-ization of the ranks is also different, so the sound of the instruments will be different, even though they share the same base samples.

All of these differences result in the Freedom Morton 2/6 sounding and playing quite differently.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

katnjack

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks for you information. I did go back to the Miditzer 216 with the RM sound fount and played it and then back to the Hauptwerk RM version and there is a remarkable difference in the sound quality. Obviously the Hauptwerk sound is much better. Am anxious for the next version to come out...again, many thanks.
Jack

joeroberts

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Free huh? dont have (pay pal) or want another credit source ,...so i guess im out of luck? mmmmmm
otherwise, the samples sound great...guess ill have to be satisfied with my miditzer216 :(

LATER this afternoon.........................
ah............update for this pouty disgruntled old man........(me, of course).....

Thank you Graham :D

ggoode_sa

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 4:38 am

Hi Joe,

Yes, as you now saw from the website, the Freedom Morton 2/6 is free, but being made available as donation-ware, meaning that you can make a donation, or not, depending on your circumstances. The download link to the organ can be ordered regardless of your donation status :D .

Hope your download went well and that you're enjoying this little beauty!

Kind regards,
GrahamG

joeroberts

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 12:27 am

OK.here's my critique of the Morton 2/6........
A really great little VTPO.....BUT....for some reason I have yet to discover, the sounds distort on both of my set-ups.....(not one of my other DL's of either Miditzer or Hauptwerk does this??)....
I can minimize (but not eliminate) this distortion by decreasing the audio gain to a #5, and closing the expression shoes to minimal.......applying the expression pedals increases the distortion.....It's annoying, but what can I do to eliminate this? Re-DL? or what do youse guys think?... :shock:
Gratfully yours,
Joe Roberts.....

ggoode_sa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 am

Hi Joe,

I can assure you that the distortion is not part of the Freedom Morton samples. I have played this baby on four PCs and have always been able to configure the settings so that there is no distortion at all.

Distortion is most often caused by overdriving your sound system. This can happen in two ways:

1) Overdriving the Gain/Volume. There are three points of volume control.
a) The Computer's Sound Volume
b) The Hauptwerk Volume controller on the 'Audio, MIDI, and Performance' panel
c) The Hauptwerk Trim dB controller on the 'Audio, MIDI, and Performance' panel

I would recommend that you experiment with reducing the Trim dB to about -15 or lower as the first problem solving step. If your system is very sensitive to dB levels then see if reducing it even further (say to -20) makes things better.

or

2) Distortion can happen when sending too much Data to the SoundCard. The sound of this distortion is usually clicks and break-ups in the audio, sometimes even a stuttering of the sound. This happens at the Driver level. Hauptwerk (in Windows) provides two Audio Driver levels, DirectSound and ASIO. Go to General Settings -> Audio Outputs and let us know which Driver type you are using, then also look in the Advanced settings on that panel and let us know what the Sound delay (buffer size, frames) property has been set to.

As your other sets seem to be playing fine, I would guess that the Trim dB setting would solve the issue for you.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

joeroberts

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 am

Graham................God bless you..............problem solved.....!!

First of all,,, I never needed to or tried to reduce the dB trim to a negative gain.....didn't even know you could...
So I went down to a -5 dB......and that did it.......Learned a new trick!! lol...

Secondly.....I have learned so much since being a part of Hauptwerk/Forum.....

Thirdly.....I appreciated very much the kind and unselfishness of many members to help one another......

Wishing you a happy weekend down there... to begin in 35 minutes....(14 hrs ahead of my time-USA CDT)....

Much thanks,

Joe Roberts :D

ggoode_sa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear that it is solved :) Now continue to enjoy the 2/6!

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments