It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

Preferred pitch of an organ

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Morse

Preferred pitch of an organ

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Can someone tell me how Hauptwerk calculates the initial overall pitch of an organ when it is installed? This is evidently what the pitch menu calls "original/preferred pitch".

I just noticed that an organ I put together some time ago always installs to a strange initial pitch. Strange because all the wave samples are tuned to concert pitch and all the embedded pitches in each sample are properly set to concert pitch. Yet the organ insists on coming up at A=415.3 initially.

The ranks do have missing notes which Hauptwerk properly fills in when loading. Could this be the cause of the initial organ pitch error?
Al Morse

Morse

Re: Preferred pitch of an organ

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 8:18 pm

I think I've answered my own question. It appears that if the "A" samples are missing, i.e 069-A.wav etc, Hauptwerk takes the pitches of the closest samples, averages them, and calls that the "preferred" pitch for the organ. In my case I had no "A" samples at all, only G# samples. Evidently Hauptwerk took the average of those pitches and called it the organ base pitch. Hence it declared my base pitch as exactly a half step low or A=415.3Hz. When I generate and add "A" samples Hauptwerk calculates the base pitch correctly.

This really shouldn't be, but since it probably hasn't bothered anyone else, and I understand it now, I will not complain about it :D
Al Morse

mdyde

Re: Preferred pitch of an organ

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 6:20 am

Hello Al,

That's correct -- when determining the base pitch, Hauptwerk only considers 'A' notes, since otherwise it wouldn't reliably be able to determine/estimate their pitch accurately (given that it doesn't know the temperament / relative tuning of the original recorded samples).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs