It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

Question about Denoising

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Steven85791

Question about Denoising

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Today I recorded a rank on the pipe organ I'm trying to sample. It has quite a loud blower even though it was in a separate room so there really wasn't much I could do. I was wondering if there is a way to get the hiss out of the recording and dampen the blower sound somewhat. I'm using the program iZotope RX 3 which was suggested in a previous thread. If someone could help me with this I would really appreciate it. I've attached a sample of what I recorded http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8z5lsoz6fr05tl0/032_-_C.wav The organ hasn't been regulated so some notes are louder than others. The note in the recording is a little low. Thanks in advance.

dkoschinski

Re: Question about Denoising

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 am

Hi Steven,
Not very hard to process that blower noise.
Here it is: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZMUkxABD!588MSq3nkA8IL6QOJw8PLuJRZm1Fz-F9dAYcdhBNoW4

Kind regards,
Danny

sjkartchner

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 10:06 am

I'm a fan of Waves Z-Noise for tamping down blower noise on organ recordings: http://www.waves.com/plugins/z-noise. Waves often runs promotions of its individual plugins so it is reasonably possible to purchase this plugin at a significantly reduced price.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

ggoode_sa

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 1:44 am

Hi Steven,

In iZotope RX3, first Normalize the recording (or use the Gain control to increase the amplitude). Then select an area where you just have the blower noise and nothing else. The longer this portion of 'just-blower-noise' is, the better the noise reduction. Now open the Denoise tool and click on the 'Learn' button. Once the Learn has been completed you can deselected the 'just-noise' area so that the whole recording is selected. On the Quality slider, set it to the highest quality - "D". Click on the Advanced Options button.Set Masking to 10 and Whitening to 0. Now move the Reduction slider up until the lowest point of the yellow indicator line hits the 0dB line. Click on the Process button to perform the Noise Reduction. If there is still blower noise present after this first pass, then repeat the process (Learn an area of 'just noise', adjust the Reduction slider), but this time use Quality "C" and set Masking to 7 and Whitening to 3.

These are just guideline settings, as each recording space is different, so experiment a bit and use the 'Compare' feature to see what sounds best to you. Also, use a set of high quality headphones to test the results, speakers and room ambiance can distort things a little.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs