It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 am

For free: Composite Cavaillé-Coll (52/3+P)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

josq

For free: Composite Cavaillé-Coll (52/3+P)

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 am

I have made a free sample set, which I call the "Composite Cavaillé-Coll" (CCC), because the majority of the samples comes from Cavaillé-Coll organs. These samples have been made available generously and for free by Sonus Paradisi, http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/. Additionally, I have tried to implement many organ building principles of C-C. It is however not meant as an exact copy of some real-world C-C-organ; I have used my own creativity.

The sample set has 52 stops on 3 manuals and a pedal. The sample set can be downloaded via the following link: http://www.pcorgan.com/opslag/Composite ... twerkOrgan

IMPORTANT: the following things need to be installed first
* Hauptwerk 4.1 or higher (Advanced Edition strongly recommended)
* the DEMO of the sample set of St Omer: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/m ... e-set.html
* the DEMO of the sample set of Caen 2.5: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/cae ... sample-set
* the DEMO of the sample set of Rotterdam: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/rot ... t-surround

When first loading the sample set, much memory and loading time can be saved without loss of quality by selecting "mono" instead of "stereo" for all ranks indicated by "L-component" or "R-component". The other ranks must be loaded in stereo. See also http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/loa ... lit-ranks/.

Approximate memory consumption:
L/R component in mono, 20-bit resolution, multiple loops, multiple releases: 9.6 GB
L/R component in mono, 16-bit resolution, multiple loops, multiple releases: 5.5 GB
L/R component in mono, 14-bit resolution, single loops, single releases: 2.5 GB
L/R component in mono, 14-bit resolution, single loops, single releases, truncation: short decay: 1.4 GB

Disposition

Récit Expressif (enclosed)
Fonds (foundation stops):
Violon 16
Diapason 8
Flûte Harmonique 8
Bourdon 8
Viole de Gambe 8
Voix Céleste 8
Voix Humaine 8
Basson-Hautbois 8
Dulciane 4
Flûte Octaviante 4

Anches (incl. reeds):
Octavin 2
Piccolo 1
Bombarde 16
Trompet 8

Positif Expressif (enclosed)
Fonds:
Bourdon 16
Montre 8
Cor de Nuit 8
Unda Maris 8
Salicional 8
Prestant 4
Flûte Douce 4

Anches:
Quinte 2 2/3
Doublette 2
Tièrce 1 3/5
Plein Jeu V
Trompette 8
Cromorne 8
Clairon 4

Grand Orgue
Fonds:
Montre 16
Bourdon 16
Montre 8
Flûte Harmonique 8
Gambe 8
Bourdon 8
Salicional 8
Prestant 4
Flûte à Bec 4

Anches:
Tièrce 3 1/5
Cornet V
Fourniture VIII
Bombarde 16
Trompette 8

Pédale
Fonds:
Contrebasse 16
Soubasse 16
Grosse Flûte 8
Violoncelle 8
Bourdon 8
Octave 4

Anches:
Bombarde 16
Basson 16
Trompette 8
Clairon 4

Other stops:
Tirasse Rec., Pos., G.O. (pedal couplers)
Octaves Rec., G.O. (suboctave couplers)
Anches Rec., Pos., G.O., Pédale (add reeds)
Copula Pos., Rec., Rec. au Pos. (manual couplers)
Trémolo (Récit only)
The two small buttons "REC" en "GO" are unison couplers.

I hope that the CCC will interest people for the commercial sample sets of Sonus Paradisi, especially Caen, St. Omer and Rotterdam. A free sample set should not be considered as a competitor of such commercial sets. Therefore, I eagerly point to some shortcomings of the CCC:
* Stereo only, no surround
* Samples from very different organ builders
* Samples may have different acoustics
* Intonation might be suboptimal
* Simple layout
Nevertheless I think the result can be worth hours of organ playing pleasure, also thanks to my bèta testers. I consider people for who it is too expensive at the moment to buy an (extra) sample set. Other people might be interested to explore some unique elements in the disposition, including an enclosed Positif, a Piccolo stop, a Grosse Tierce, and a Basson in the pedal.

Feedback en suggestions for improvements are welcome, possibly I can integrate these in a second version.

Finally I want to thank the bètatesters. Evert-Jan has supplied me with a lot of useful feedback, mainly on many technical issues. Also Frans and Adri have provided valuable commentaries. Thanks to them I can trust that many will enjoy the result.
Last edited by josq on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

MBar

Re: For free: Composite Cavaillé-Coll (52/3+P)

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 am

Sorry : what is this type of file ? It is not the OrganDefinitions (ORGAN_HAUPWERK_XML file.
I don't know how to use the donloaded file.
Thank you for any info
Michel

josq

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 am

It has a new extension which is allowed since HW4.1. In Hauptwerk, simply go to file-->install organ or temperament, then browse to the download folder, then select the file.

MBar

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you, I am still under Windows XP and HW 4.0 here at home. But I will install it in my other computer in my country house with HW 4.1 installed; Thank you again

Sky

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Is there already something available on contrebomarde?

josq

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Sky wrote:Is there already something available on contrebomarde?

Not yet. I plan to post links when first recordings become available.

dalest

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 11:22 pm

hello iit possible to have an xml version please?

josq

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 1:52 am

dalest wrote:hello iit possible to have an xml version please?

Hi Dalest, if you install the sample set as described above, the ODF will be there as an xml file in the ODF folder. Is that OK to you?

dalest

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 am

does it with hx 4.0 ?

i have to stay a lot of time in bed.... but i feel better

josq

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 am

dalest wrote:does it with hx 4.0 ?

i have to stay a lot of time in bed.... but i feel better

No, hw 4.1 is required before installation. I would like to encourage people to update to hw 4.1.

Happy to hear things are improving for you and that you even have planned concerts for next year.

Mixtuur4st

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:02 am

Dalest wrote
hello iit possible to have an xml version please?

Hello Eric, this IS possible:

1. download the file from Josq, the full name is Composite_Cavaille-Coll.HauptwerkOrgan
2. rename this file in (eg) CCC.rar
3. unrar this file: a directory "Definitions" appears.
4. in this directory you'll find the XML-file.
5. open this file with a texteditor eg. Notepad
6. in line 2 look for this text: FileFormatVersion="4.10228"
7. change that number in "4.0"
8. save the file
9. and place it in the Definitions-folder of your Hauptwerkfolder, something like
C:\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents\OrganDefinitions.

Now you can load the organ in Hauptwerk.

Little surprise: the register-knobs appear without text, so you have to experiment a little to find out which knob engages what.
I myself don't use a touchscreen but physical switches, so labeling is no problem.

Just tested all this, it works perfectly.

Enjoy,
Jack
Last edited by Mixtuur4st on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 am

Hello Jack,

Please do be aware that an organ definition that's saved in v4.1.0 format might still not work properly in all respects in earlier versions, even if you hack the version number and succeed in getting it to load. There are other changes in the v4.1.0 organ definition format besides the version. Also, it's something we can't support, of course.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

josq

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:27 am

Besides, I'm confident that for most people installing the update to HW4.1 is far easier than hacking rar or xml files! It is also less complicated than installing a new sample set.

People that really don't want to update can contact me by sending a personal message.

By the way, this sample set was created using the Custom Organ Design Module (CODM), which turns out to be more powerful than I expected based on previous CODM-based sample sets.

Mixtuur4st

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 am

Hello Martin,

I am very well aware of that, of course, but I assume that anyone who is playing with files and directories is knowing what he is doing and that it is all his own risk.
I myself have good reasons not to upgrade to HW4.1 at this moment (I have a dedicated machine that never has seen the Internet and that works troublefree, I have enough ram for my organs and the better sounding of the new version might be pure psychlogical).
This way I can play with that CC-organ and if later problems might arise, so be it, I leave that organ then.

Jack

1961TC4ME

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Mixtuur4st wrote:I myself have good reasons not to upgrade to HW4.1 at this moment (I have a dedicated machine that never has seen the Internet and that works troublefree, I have enough ram for my organs and the better sounding of the new version might be pure psychlogical).
Jack

Hello Jack,

I will guarantee the better sound is not psychological, then there's the reduced polyphony requirements and reduced loading times amongst other improvements I noticed. I'd also not worry too much about upgrading to v4.1 because your computer has never being on the internet and just do it. The most likely issue you will encounter as others here (including myself) that has not had their computer on the internet for a long time is a minor issue with the USB key driver not installing properly on the first try, but then again for you it just might and you're good to go. For myself and many others here that followed the HW 4.1 discussion thread under "General Discussion" saw the proper fix right away instead of unknowingly going off and hacking away trying things on their own and found it was a rather simple 30 second fix, so I wouldn't avoid upgrading to v4.1 over that.

If you know enough to manipulate CODM files (which I have no clue about) and make them work, you should be able to upgrade to v4.1 and get your computer working properly in your sleep. :wink:

Marc
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments