It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

For free: Composite Cavaillé-Coll (52/3+P)

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jerrymartin

Re: For free: Composite Cavaillé-Coll (52/3+P)

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you so much for posting this composite organ. Jiri's samples are remarkable, and I have to say that you have brought them all together really well into this very fun instrument. Great advertisement for Jiri's work! I'm saving up for one of them :)
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Sky

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 2:38 pm

The registers are tuned very nicely. In particular, I like the Tutti which seams to be a usual weakness of composite sets.

Personally, I would have liked a stronger reverb amplitude. For example for the suite gothique the sound is a little bit too dry for me.

Thanks for investing a lot of time into your project!

josq

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 6:49 am

Thank you Jerry, much appreciated Sky! I would not say dry, rather direct. Perhaps you experience this because only front samples are used (for Caen, the rear samples are not available in the free demo). Recording distance also plays a role. For example, I hear people say Metz gives more of a cathedral feeling.

engrssc

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 4:41 pm

I haven't read every word of these posts, but curious as to how much RAM is required?

Rgds,
Ed

josq

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi engrssc, 9.6 GB in 20-bit, 5.5GB in 16-bit. See first post for all other details.

engrssc

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Excellent. Thanks in advance for your efforts. Looks really good.

Rgds,
Ed

pat17

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 1:55 am

Downloaded it yesterday and hassle-free installed it this morning. It occupies 11.9 GB in 24-bit resolution.

Really a nice work, I'm very happy with it. Among the three samples used I "only" had Caen V. 2.5. I had previously evaluated St. Omer but not Rotterdam. Blending those three instruments into one proves to be a brilliant idea, executed with skill and talent.

Thanks Josq for this wonderful gift! 8)

engrssc

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 2:38 am

pat17 wrote:It occupies 11.9 GB in 24-bit resolution.

What computer and OS are you using?

Rgds,
Ed

pat17

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 4:07 am

engrssc wrote:
pat17 wrote:It occupies 11.9 GB in 24-bit resolution.

What computer and OS are you using?

Hello Ed,

Mac Mini Late 2012 with 16 GB RAM. I'm using OS X 10.9.4 with Hauptwerk 4.1.0. :wink:

Stops split between Left and Right Channels loaded in Mono (same for the tremmed), all over stops and sound in stereo.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 9:47 am

Hello Josq,

I have a quick question. Is this a surround set? Reason I ask is looking over the required demos for this composite set, the Caen demo does not include the surround feature, the Rotterdam demo does include the surround feature, and as far as the St. Omer is concerned it doesn't say, so I'm wondering how you make surround and non-surround sets work together and what is the proper way to load it.

As of last night I've completed downloading all the components for the set but have not installed them, so I haven't had the opportunity to look at the rank table to see if it includes both front and rear samples for the Rotterdam demo as an example.

If I see rear ranks I will then treat it as a surround set, but if I don't I would assume the rear ranks were simply not included as part of this composite set. :?:

Thanks,

Marc

josq

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 am

Dear Marc, no, it is not surround, indeed because the Caen demo doesn't have that.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Sep 25, 2014 10:31 am

josq wrote:Dear Marc, no, it is not surround, indeed because the Caen demo doesn't have that.

No problem! Anxious to get it loaded and try it out. :)

Thanks for putting this together for us!

Marc

1961TC4ME

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 10:57 am

Well unfortunately St. Omer pack # 1710, 1713, 1715 was reported as possibly corrupt by HW during the unpacking process. So, will have to wait until I can download the pack again before I can proceed with the install and try this instrument. :(

Marc

kruimel

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 2:20 pm

This composite set is really very nice, and it benefits a lot by loading truncated and using convolution reverb on the different divisions.
In that way the eventual difference in ambience of the composing sample sets is completely vanished, and you will be able to have the right amount of reverb for your taste.

Greetings,

Geert

1961TC4ME

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 10:05 am

I was able to successfully get it installed over the weekend and had a chance to sit down and try it out this morning. I do not use external reverb but could see where in some cases it may be of benefit if a person is looking for more of that "cathedral" sound. The set has what I'd describe as considerably more "presence" compared to the Zurek composite set as an example, so read that as it has a closer sound to it although there is still good reverberation. I didn't detect much difference in the reverberation between stops so all seems nicely balanced. Overall it has a very nice, clear sound to it. The only thing I didn't care for was the key sounds which to me are a bit much and sound after the stop sounds, so I reloaded with the key sounds not included.

I must admit I'm not at all an expert on registration of these types of instruments but recently saw that Jiri has some info on his site regarding this, so a little reading is in order for me.

Thanks again for sharing this set!

Marc
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments