It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Motherboard/memory opinions

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ten87

Motherboard/memory opinions

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 12:26 am

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Asus P5E Deluxe would be a good motherboard for use on a dedicated Hauptwerk system? Specs are here. It supports unbuffered ecc memory and has RAID support.

If it would be a good choice, would two of these (total 8 GB) be a good choice?

Just thought I'd get some opinions before I spend some $$!

Thanks!
Terry

Stefanussen

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 12:41 am

Martin will tell you that ECC Ram is the way to go if at all possible. ECC helps prevent the occasional memory error and resulting crash.

Now, if you're still going to go non-ecc, Newegg customers gave that board an average of 4/5 stars with 45 reviews, so I'm thinking you'll be in good shape with that MB and RAM. With 8GB you'll be able to run all the latest sample sets with high settings.

Good luck!!
Rob Stefanussen

dadams

• Location: Ellicott City MD; and North Beach, NJ...it all depends)

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 11:20 am

I used that board for my production photoshop machine and was happy with it, seemed faster overall than the Gigabyte I replaced it with.

Understand the argument for ECC vs non-ECC, but I've worked professionally on win based PCs since the 8008 (and I still hate windows) but have rarely seen problems with non-ECC memory IF you buy a decent brand. IMHO but I would go for more processor power. Or a Mac. :-) WAY more power for your buck apples to apples, so to speak.
"Bach: his mind was universal, his heart was overwhelming, and his spirit transcends over all of God's Creation" Virgil Fox

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 am

About the same experience as "dadams" with pc, and I have the same opinion as is about ecc and non-ecc memory.

ian99

Re: Motherboard/memory opinions

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 2:59 pm

ten87 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Asus P5E Deluxe would be a good motherboard for use on a dedicated Hauptwerk system? Specs are here. It supports unbuffered ecc memory and has RAID support.

If it would be a good choice, would two of these (total 8 GB) be a good choice?

Just thought I'd get some opinions before I spend some $$!

Thanks!
Terry

Any reputable mobo will be fine provided it supports at least 8Gb memory. I've never had a problem with non ecc memory in 20years of PC engineering. Once memory starts to give significant errors it needs to be changed anyway.

I am using a Gigabyte MA69VM-S2 Athlon 64 x2 6000 and 8Gb of Corsair 800Mhz and its glitch free with the Metz and all the stops pulled !

I

Sander

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 4:19 pm

If you are buying a new board now, you might as well go for a 16 GB capable board. Then you are ready for the future. Chipsets supporting 16 GB (but only non-ECC) are P43, P45 and G45. You can look for motherboards with that chipset on the asus site. Scheduled for release in october 2008 is the X58 chipset, supporting up to 24 GB with ECC. But motherboards with that chipset may be more expensive to start with. If at 8GB is enough for you, the P5E sounds fine.

About the memory, Asus has a list of supported/suggested memory banks either on the site or in the user manual. You can check it with that.

Uwe Mahnken

PostThu Oct 02, 2008 4:27 am

Does anyone know if the chipset G45 has the same high-performance as the P45?

Uwe

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 02, 2008 6:13 am

From what I read yes....

"The P45 and P43 products are the “high-end” and “low-end” models which do not have integrated graphics support, while the G45 Express and G43 Express are the “high-end” and “low-end” models which do have Intel’s new integrated graphics engine, the X4500 / X4500HD. "

The only difference is that the G serie as the integrated graphic.

For more info you can read a review at:
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Intel_P ... y_Preview/

Technical infos from inntel are at:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/c ... ody+dt_all

One important thing to note, these chipset support up to 16GB of DDR2 memory and ONLY 8 GB of DDR3 memory!

Return to General discussion