It is currently Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:26 am

E.M. Skinner Organ Sample Set

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 09, 2004 11:46 am

Has someone considered using choir stops instead of individual pipes? Like the "8'-4'-2'-1'"-Prinzipal stop that has four pipes but one wave file?

Christian, I originally ventured into the organ sampling world with Giga Studio in mind. For this I did use preset combinations of pipes for the little Buzard organ. Although it worked OK in Giga, it was rather limited in Hauptwerk especially since we now have to ability to choose the individual stops ourselves. So, it is my belief that the organ samples should be recorded as they are now, ie. individually, so the user may have the most options with regards to setting registrations. I guess it's a toss up between musical creativity and memory requirements! I'd rather go with the creativity!

Hearing today for the first time a 32' stop here (from a feature on the Disney organ at http://www.scpr.org/), I must now say that I personally can live without one.

Regarding the Disney organ.... hmmm, one cannot accurately hear the real sound as the quality of the audio is very poor. I'd be curious to hear a good recording of it. But, I can assure you that the Skinner will most likely be a totally different sounding instrument. Perhaps before the initial release of the Skinner I can post some demos of certain stops for everyone to hear. Then it may help you decide which stops suit you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Bach-Wannabe

PostWed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 am

What are the estimated memory and CPU requirements for the complete organ?

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 10, 2004 12:44 pm

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the estimated memory and CPU requirements for the complete organ?

Hi Bach-Wannabe! I'm estimating it will require around 3.5-4 GB of memory to load. A processor running at 2.8gHz should be adequate to play with many stops engaged. Keep in mind these estimates are for loading the FULL organ into Hauptwerk. Also these are only estimates, so this information could be different in the end. Of course any other smaller organ combination will reduce any memory requirements, and hence my reason for asking people about the stop list variants. I'll have more concrete information as the instrument progresses. Thanks for your interest!

Let's see some more stop list ideas everyone!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Mike 353

PostMon Mar 22, 2004 7:34 pm

Hello Brett,

I am new to all of this, but am currently building a complete three manual organ using the Hauptwerk program (with much help from a much more knowledgeable friend!). While I lean toward a mix of baroque and late American Classic sounds, I think some of the Skinner offerings would fulfill some of my desires. I would go for the reeds, the the gamba and celeste, the percussions, and absolutely the 32' pedal stop. The flute and celeste would also be nice. Cdatzko's idea of offering everything and maybe a way of choosing what only you want to load, without loading the whole organ, sounds good to me. I look forward to more information on this project.
Thank you,
Mike

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Mar 22, 2004 10:28 pm

Hi Mike, welcome! Thanks for your input. I'm not sure that Martin will have that sort of feature installed for HW2, although it would be quite nice! (Martin, please correct me if I am wrong!)

Remember that all of the stops will be included on each DVD/CD so you may of course create your own organ files with the new MySQL format for HW2.

I think it's largely a question of how comfortable users will be with the MySQL format. I'm only trying to help ease the time of users (some anyway) to learn a new method of creating organs so that they may load files right away upon receiving the samples.

Thanks again for your contribution Mike and good luck with your MIDI organ!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 23, 2004 12:01 am

By the way, the Hamburg Steinway is now shipping with an introductory offer in Kontakt and Kompakt formats! I'm working on a downloadable Kontakt demo which will include one octave starting with middle C. I'll post the details when it is ready!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

Skinner Update

PostThu Jul 01, 2004 11:54 pm

Greetings. Just an update on the status of the Skinner organ samples. It was originally planned to be released with Hauptwerk 2, but now with an estimated date later than expected for the Hauptwerk 2 release, I decided to make a version for HW 1.2 with several cut down .organ files to fit under 2 GB. Again, all stops will come with the sample set they just won't all be able to be played in real time. Ideally you wouldn't want to do that anyway! More info soon. Thanks!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Previous

Return to General discussion