It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:32 am

MDA Mt Carmel skinner (wet) issues

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: MDA Mt Carmel skinner (wet) issues

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 7:21 am

Hello Dave/Tom/Jerry,

I've had a look at the v5-compatile Skinner files that are currently listed for download (as of 2019-12-16) and this is what I found:

For the wet (non-MasterWorks) Skinner:

- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, E.M. Skinner File 1: This file is correct (it contains packages 115 and 116, both at their correct latest versions of 1.00, plus the organ definition, which is at the correct latest version of 1.02).

- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, E.M. Skinner File 2: This file actually contains only a package (117) from the MasterWorks Skinner (albeit at its correct latest version of 1.00). Hence this file does not need to be installed at all for the wet Skinner, or for the MasterWorks Skinner (since the downloads for the latter also contains the package). Hence this file is entirely spurious, but harmless.

- Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, E.M. Skinner File 3: This file contains the correct latest version (1.00) of package 119. It also contains package 118 from the MasterWorks Skinner (albeit at its correct latest version of 1.00), which is spurious but harmless.

- Summary: there are some spurious packages in download files 2 and 3 above, but they're all harmless (except to the extent they would occupy some disk unnecessarily if you don't also use the MasterWorks Skinner).

For the MasterWorks (dry) Skinner:

- MasterWorks E.M. Skinner File 1: This file contains the correct latest version (1.00) of package 117. It also contains the correct organ definition file (ODF), but at version 1.00, whereas the latest that had previously been released for version 4 was 1.03. I'm not sure what changes were made between versions 1.00 and 1.03, but presumably those changes aren't in the version of the ODF included in this download. [Also, given that the version number is lower than the one that was previously released for v4, if you already had the v4 version installed then you would normally have needed specifically to un-install the organ before installing this download, otherwise the v5-compatible version wouldn't get installed; Hauptwerk won't normally allow a numerically-lower version of a component to be installed over a higher version, unless you specifically un-install the component first. However, since v5 won't actually be able to read the version number from the v4 version of the ODF, due to the change of licensing system, in this case it shouldn't matter, since it would allow the file to install anyway.]

- MasterWorks E.M. Skinner File 1: This file contains the correct latest version (1.00) of package 118.

- Summary: If you're upgrading an installation from v4 then some of the previous organ definition changes/fixes might not be in the current version of the downloads, but otherwise it should install properly.

I'll pass this information on, so that we can get the downloads updated accordingly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 am

TomBentley wrote:Tried installing my Mt. Carmel Skinner this a.m. and wasn't so fortunate. It acted installed, but when loading, then said it needed Mt. Carmel #2, so I complied, and it did the same, then when trying to load it said needed Mt. Carmel #3, so I complied, and now its installed, but it sounds really weird. Hardly any volume, and quite out of tune, I think there's something wrong or it could just be me. I'll sit back an watch for a bit and see if anyone else has issues, I've at least got the Paramounts working now.

TomBentley wrote:Thanks Dave, I wish I was having the same experience. I remember initially when I got the set it was way low as well but not so badly out of tune, but the darn thing still won't even load unless I give it all three packages. Got me stuck ... maybe Martin will notice this and have some insight. Its probably something stupid I've done but I'm at the stuck point now. As far as sound goes, I did check the temperament and selected "Equal" and it improved a bit, but I really have to push the volume and I'm not getting any Trem when activated for appropriate stops ... so somehow something is amiss!!!!

Hello Tom,

Another person reported a tuning issue with the MasterWorks Skinner in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18042

Some questions:

- If you tick the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine: Reduce ... model response/accuracy/quality ...' option, does it eliminate the issue?

- Also, either way, if you tick the Organ settings | Wind supply model | Audio engine: Disable main wind supply model' option, does it eliminate the issue?

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

TomBentley

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Martin and thanks. Does this mean that I should re-download only the MDA Mt. Carmel Skinner Wet File 1 after Brett does something to it or are you saying its fine as it is? I guess I'm dense. Because when trying to upgrade I am unable to load the organ with out the errors of it saying it is missing things and halting. What action would you like me to take? I still have my original copy of disks from MDA when I bought the skinner if that would help.

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry Martin I responded before I saw the other posts you made. Unfortunately I am stuck for time at this very moment but at this point I can't get skinner wet to install at all. I think after uninstalling using V5 everything skinner there is perhaps nothing left in there to install but I will attempt again later -- sorry to delay but I have a crew here installing a stair glider for my 90 year old mom and the organ is completely shut down til that is over later today (hopefully in a couple of hours) I will post exactly that is happening and also attach any error files generated upon attempted install or organ load that happen. Thanks for keeping you eye on this and helping to sort it out.

Tom

TomBentley

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 am

Martin, quick update before they shut my power down again to do the wiring for the stair lift. I did get it to install and load by satisfying its request for Package 3. It loaded and sounded bad. So following you instructions I disabled wind supply, and ticked the other box you suggested. That brought things back in tune.

The only other issue is the Tremolo function does not seem to work at all.

So we've made progress at least -- any thoughts on that Tremolo issue?

Thanks,

Tom

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 9:43 am

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you managed to get it to install and load now.

TomBentley wrote:So following you instructions I disabled wind supply, and ticked the other box you suggested. That brought things back in tune.

Which of those two options made the difference on your system? (The organ appears to retain its tuning properly for me, even with neither of those ticked.)

TomBentley wrote:The only other issue is the Tremolo function does not seem to work at all.

Are you sure? It works for me (with the Swell Flute 4, for example), irrespective of the two options I mentioned.

What spec. is your computer? Mac or PC? How many CPU cores? Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

TomBentley

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Martin!!!!! I Feel Like a Fool!!!! HWV Installed. Stairlift Installed. Mt. Carmel Wet INSTALLED and WORKING. I feel so foolish because guess where the problem actually was. I had forgotten the EM Skinner console had a "Key" on it. If that key is not turned, even if it actually sounds like it has been after organ loads, you will NOT have Tremulants. And that is true with no changes made to the Organ Preferences Audio Engine screen as well as the Wind Model whichcan, indeed, be active and does not need to be disabled. If you do NOT turn the Key on but you DO disable the Wind Model you will be in tune and sound fine but you will NOT have Tremulants.

I hope this helps any others out there that are having trouble. I should have known that it would be "Operator Error" not your "Software" but I thought I had thought thru all the things I could have done wrong on this end. I was ready to come in here and post that it simply wasn't working right when I happened to bring up the console view and that little Key caught my eye!!!! I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused and again THANK YOU so much for having the patience to look into it either way!

Best Wishes for a Grand Holiday,

Tom

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks very much, Tom.

No problem at all. Glad to hear you have it working now. Hope you enjoy it.
Best regards, Martin.

jerrynazard

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Martin & Tom:

Disabled the wind supply and tuning is fine. Thanks for sorting this out.

Cheers!

-Jerry

TomBentley

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi Jerry, just curious ... did you make certain to click on the virtual key on the console window to turn it on? If I click on the key on the console to turn the organ on "virtually" then I can leave the wind supply enabled and this seems to help with the overall volume of the organ itself.

Tom

jerrynazard

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Tom,
I just clicked the two unidentified rocker switches and enabled the wind supply. Everything seems to work just fine.
Except I have to actually practice now and can't mess around with the thing. I am hoping that applying a slight amount of additional reverb will make for a more pleasant sound. We'll see after Christmas.....

-Jerry

TomBentley

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Enjoy your practice and the Christmas/New Years Holidays!!!!!!

Tom

mdyde

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 5:33 am

Thanks, Jerry. Glad to hear it's working properly now.
Best regards, Martin.
Previous

Return to General discussion