It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:13 am

Hello HeAu,

The Hauptwerk installer includes the full set of licensing packages that existed at the point in time that the Hauptwerk version was built. Licensing packages for any new sample sets released after that point in time get included in the licensing packages download on the website (which in turn gets included into the next version of the Hauptwerk installer, when the time comes). Hence, yes -- it doesn't hurt to back that up too, although failing to do so would only potentially omit packages for sample sets released after the Hauptwerk version was built.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Jan Loosman

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 am

vpo-organist wrote:
Jan Loosman wrote:My cpu is the Amd rijzen 5950X on the asrock X570 creator with 128gb ddr4 ram and 2x 2 tb ssd

Hello Jan,

how busy is your system or the 5950X with the two HD options? Could a smaller CPU also be enough?

As far as i know, once a sampleset is loaded ( and virtual memory, sysmain/superfetch disabled as i did) the hd wil,not be accesed much so not much extra load on the Cpu so a smaller cpu could do the trick.
But as the demands for the cpu become increasingly higher with the evolution of Hauptwerk , the newer 8 channel sample sets and 96 khz for example i wanted to be future proof and so i decided for this processor.

Regards Jan

ostrovitch

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am

Hi Jan,

I met a lot of disturbs with windows 10.
I had to disable (sysmain of course) but a lot of unuseful gadgets inside windows 10.
Even my memory is 192GB and my CPU has 16 physical cores, some glitches appeared anyway with a CPU stress of 100%, even before HW6 with the 96Khz. And I work without system swap file.
I even wrote a memory aid to remember what to disable inside windows 10 in case of reinstall
or major update of windows.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 10:40 am

Has anyone posted a comparison audio recording of the improvements of Version VI over Version V ? I would like to hear the improvements for myself. Way back in the beginning when Hauptwerk was new, I believe that it was Sonus Paradisi that was the first to offer "Surround" sample sets. Jiri Zurek posted sample audio recordings of "near" and "far", direct and diffuse, etc. etc and offered sample sets in "dry" and "wet" as well as surround. Now we have adjustments for front, rear, left and right, per note and wind modeling. Talk about custom tailoring the sound to suit ones needs.

I hope that my AKG 701 headphones are still up to the task. Does anyone know if these vintage headphones ,which still sound amazing to me, are adequate for the job of realizing the improvements in Version VI audio ? I'm excited by the positive reviews of the improvement in audio quaity ( that's what its all about !!!!). How does one send a private message to Martin Dyde ?

Although it wasn't by design, I realized that since the Contrebombarde site was released, I haven't purchased one CD. The members that post their recordings, literaly thousands of them, have filled an incredible gap of bringing music to everyone. Quite remarkable.
Antoni

mdyde

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 am

Hello Antoni,

I'm not aware of any comparison recordings having been published, but perhaps somebody has done somewhere.

Antoni Scott wrote:I hope that my AKG 701 headphones are still up to the task. Does anyone know if these vintage headphones ,which still sound amazing to me, are adequate for the job of realizing the improvements in Version VI audio ? I'm excited by the positive reviews of the improvement in audio quaity ( that's what its all about !!!!).

Yes -- AKG 701 headphones are still extremely high quality, and should be equally excellent for v6 (as for previous versions).

Antoni Scott wrote:How does one send a private message to Martin Dyde ?

I don't have private messaging enabled. If you specifically need additional support/help from us aside from this forum for some reason, then please contact support [at] hauptwerk.com. Francois handles that very capably, and if he needs to check anything with me then he will. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 3:15 pm

To Martin Dyde:
I don't have private messaging enabled. If you specifically need additional support/help from us aside from this forum for some reason, then please contact support [at] hauptwerk.com. Francois handles that very capably, and if he needs to check anything with me then he will. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Yes, Francois is an asset to Hauptwerk. I should contact him instead.

CyrilCouten

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 11:53 am

Martin, I realize only now that I did not understand the documentation on this point.
In other words, does this mean that a sample set which is recommended to be set with 5000 polyphony should be at 20 000 if both discussed options are on ?
Tks.

mdyde

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Hello Cyril,

Not quite.

Having both audio quality options (96 kHz + high-definition pitch-shifting) turned on will be very roughly 4x as CPU-intensive as having neither turned on. Hence if your computer could manage a polyphony of 5000 with neither option on then it will potentially only manage a polyphony of 5000/4=1250 with both options turned on. Hence you would potentially need to *reduce* the polyphony limit if turning either or both options on.

However, you should still test and fine-tune the polyphony limit after changing any settings that affect CPU load (including those two options, or audio buffer size, or others) -- the 4x multiple is only a very rough guide.
Best regards, Martin.

CyrilCouten

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Tks Matin for your quick feedback.
I am not sure to understand.

You mention that if my CPU can manage 5000 polyphony, it will manage "de facto" ~1250 with both options on.
I understand that in the case CPU is overloaded, one would have to lower the polyphony.
OK ?

Does this mean a loss in audio output quality ?

Now, to keep the "same" polyphony (at 5000 in this example, accepted by the CPU), having the 2 options on requires setting polyphony at 20000, provided the CPU accepts the load ?

In the end, if my CPU accepts 5000 and 20 000 with options on, should it make a difference ?

May be things are not "linear" in HW model but the way it is described, one could draw this conclusion ...

Tks for your clarifications.

mdyde

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 3:26 pm

Hello Cyril,

The only purpose of the polyphony limit setting is to avoid overloading the CPU (which will be indicated by Hauptwerk's CPU meter go into the red, and is likely to result in audio glitches). If your computer can manage with a polyphony limit setting of 5000 without the CPU meter going into the red, then that's fine, irrespective of what audio engine options you have enabled or disabled.

If with a polyphony limit setting of 5000 and both options *off* your CPU was as heavily loaded as it could safely be (just touching the yellow, but never going into the red) then if you turned either or both of the options on your would need need to reduce your polyphony limit, otherwise the CPU would be overloaded (since the options are more CPU-intensive).
Best regards, Martin.

Jan Loosman

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am

Hello Martin

Can the polyphonie setting in future Hauptwerk versions not be controled with some sort of automatic limiter which limits the polyphony instantaneously and intelligibly when the meter goes into red?
So we don't have to worry about the settings anymore.

Regards Jan

Antoni Scott

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 11:07 am

I'm not sure why I was included in this Hauptwerk 6 general discussion. Probably it was becaue I had asked in the past if there was any noticable difference in the audio quality between Version IV ( what I have now) and V or VI. I have read comments on this forum and other non-Hauptwerk Forums where owners say that I probably wouldn't notice any difference or ranging up to "Wow". Without hearing a side by side test so that I could evaluate the audio differences for myself, it makes making a decision to switch to Version V or VI is a difficult one.
It's interesting because I remember Forum members claiming the same audio improvements when switching to Verion IV back in 2014. As it turned out I heard no improvement in the audio but I did notice a significant improvement in RAM utilization. I was able to do more with less.

Prior to my moving to another state, I was lucky to have a very computer savy Hauptwerk friend that saved my rear-end on numerous occassions when something happened that I was not able to diagnose or correct myself. To Hauptwerk's credit, none of the issues I exerienced were Haupatwerk related but just hardware incompatability.

Due to my lack of computer knowledge, inability to get help, and possible hardware/computer incompatability issues ( still undetermined), a different dongle issue, migration fees and all new sample set change requirements plus the one-way, no going back, conversion process, switching to a newer Version is not an option for me at the present time.
Hauptwerk is still the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure no-one will argue with that.

mdyde

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Jan Loosman wrote:Hello Martin

Can the polyphonie setting in future Hauptwerk versions not be controled with some sort of automatic limiter which limits the polyphony instantaneously and intelligibly when the meter goes into red?
So we don't have to worry about the settings anymore.

Regards Jan

Hello Jan,

We do have an enhancement request logged for potentially making Hauptwerk tune its limit automatically. Getting an automatic/real-time method to perform as well as a pre-adjusted limit wouldn't be easy, though, especially in the case of sudden very large instantaneous demands in a new situation, since in those circumstances by the time one knows that the CPU has overloaded it can be too late.
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Rather than a realtime limit, how about a HW built-in self-test that we could invoke to get an idea of the polyphony our computer can support? It could use the polyphony test organ silently, but not require manually pressing and holding increasing numbers of notes (with a crippled left hand, I can't take the described procedure far enough to be any use).

mdyde

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:54 am

Thanks, Mark.

Yes -- we do have an enhancement request logged for that too.
Best regards, Martin.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion